Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think it's time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think it's time

Pgh is known for its low-key (virtually non-existent) role in free agency. But this year? I think they better be a little more active than usual. Not only did this team not have a winning record, but all indications are that it is headed further downward as opposed to on the rise, if they don't take some actions, as Colbert has noted.

Here are the list of free agents. Here is what I propose to go after.

[url]http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html[/url]

We need a back up who can play longer than one game before getting hurt. Neither Leftwich or Batch is that player. I think Matt Moore is an underrated QB and he is younger than 40. I would like to see him and a rookie added to the QB unit. If not Moore, what about Chase Daniel? Didn't he look pretty good when he's been in there? Does he have a high possible upside?

The other spot that I think we must add someone is RB, as well as draft one. The one thing I don't want them to do is to sign an older player on his downside, who will still be expensive like Steve Jackson. Or one who will cost a lot but not be a difference maker, like Reggie Bush.

[url]http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=RB&y=2013[/url]

Bernard Scott - has hurt us a few times. Still relatively young.
    Jalene Parmele - runs hard. Has some power.
    Peyton Hillis - don't know how much he has left; big backs are used up quickly not named Bettis.
    Jackie Battle - big back, seems to produce when given a chance.
    Justin Forset - almost 6 ypc last year, entering his prime.

I am not listing restricted free agents, as they cost too much and we can't afford to lose draft picks.

At WR, I just am not seeing much who would be inexpensive but worth signing. Except maybe ...

Kevin Ogletree - He had 32 grabs for 436 yards and 4 TD, over 13 ypc avg. And he had to try to get balls with Dez Bryant, Jason Whitten and Miles Austin on the field, which is no easy task. I think the kid has skills and would add to our WR unit.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Someone here mentioned RFA Chris Ivory, I would love to have the combination of Chris Ivory & Chance Warmack.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Someone here mentioned RFA Chris Ivory, I would love to have the combination of Chris Ivory & Chance Warmack.
    I would like Ivory but as a RFA, I don't see it happening; how often do RFAs ever get signed away? Almost never. You have to give up too much to get them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There are several possible cuts/subtractions coming this off-season due to the salary cap so where do you suggest this money comes from for these new additions?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    There are several possible cuts/subtractions coming this off-season due to the salary cap so where do you suggest this money comes from for these new additions?
    As Kevin Colbert said, anything is possible coming off this bad season, including cutting some high $ players to make cap room. Almost no one is not expendable, including Harrison and Polamalu.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, by the time you add in the tenders and draft picks we will be $30 mil over the cap. there isnt going to be much of anything to bring in a FA of any significance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Yeah, by the time you add in the tenders and draft picks we will be $30 mil over the cap. there isnt going to be much of anything to bring in a FA of any significance.
    Which is why I only listed low level options. They will make Ben restructure. There are options. Miller, Brown, Timmons, Pouncy et al could restructure. The trick is: Do the Steelers even want to make space in the cap? They often like to use no cap space as an excuse to not sign any free agents, tricking the fans into believing that they have no options. They have been playing this game for years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't know why teams are so reluctant to sign RFA's.
    So you give up a pick that would be used on an UNPROVEN player and use that pick on a PROVEN player.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I don't know why teams are so reluctant to sign RFA's.
    So you give up a pick that would be used on an UNPROVEN player and use that pick on a PROVEN player.
    The picks needed usually seem way too much for the player received. What would teams have to give us in draft picks to get Wallace last year? A first rounder and more? He wasn't worth it, as it was proven over the season. I am sure no team regretted passing on him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    The picks needed usually seem way too much for the player received. What would teams have to give us in draft picks to get Wallace last year? A first rounder and more? He wasn't worth it, as it was proven over the season. I am sure no team regretted passing on him.
    That's one example.
    Wes Welker went to the Pats for a 3rd round pick, how'd that work out for them??

Lets say someone gave Keenan Lewis a contract last year when he was a RFA. a team would have given up a 3rd round pick, worth it???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!