Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ed: Steelers Swung, Missed on OLBs in First Round

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Salaries bear out that 4-3 DEs are more rare than 3-4 OLBs. I believe that the franchise tag for DEs is higher than any position other than QB; it is certainly higher than the tag for linebackers.
    Given the proliferation of 3-4 defenses, with still more on the way, I expect that to change...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Salaries bear out that 4-3 DEs are more rare than 3-4 OLBs. I believe that the franchise tag for DEs is higher than any position other than QB; it is certainly higher than the tag for linebackers.
    However, you discount the fact that when you have a greater talent pool of players coming out of the college ranks ready to play sooner you can avoid needing to "tag" players. Simple supply and demand. It is easier to get a college DE ready to play in the NFL than a college DE who is a multi-year conversion project to OLB.

I dare say that our own experience with the few successful OLB conversions would indicate we had to overpay to keep Woodley and Harrison and their performance no longer matches their contracts but because of the "risk" and time required to groom replacements we have placed ourselves at a disadvantage so we had no choice.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    However, you discount the fact that when you have a greater talent pool of players coming out of the college ranks ready to play sooner you can avoid needing to "tag" players. Simple supply and demand. It is easier to get a college DE ready to play in the NFL than a college DE who is a multi-year conversion project to OLB.

I dare say that our own experience with the few successful OLB conversions would indicate we had to overpay to keep Woodley and Harrison and their performance no longer matches their contracts but because of the "risk" and time required to groom replacements we have placed ourselves at a disadvantage so we had no choice.
    I discount the assertion that there is a greater talent pool of 4-3 DEs because there is no empirical evidence to support that assertion. First, it is difficult to find a DE with the explosiveness to rush the passer and the ability to stand up against the run. Second, many "natural" 4-3 DEs still take 2-3 years to adjust to the NFL game. I've broken down the successes of first round DEs and OLBs over the past few years previously and don't have the time to do it again, but basically, there is no support for your assertion that DEs contribute more quickly than do OLBs.

The tag number demonstrates the value of a position; not the need to tag. We'd all agree that QBs are the most rare and, thus, most valuable. Correspondingly, QBs have the highest tag values, while kickers and punters have the lowest.

To say that Woodley was overpayed is questionable; based on his performance to that point, it was a market value deal. Much less than Ware or Mario Williams received. Harrison was coming off of a DPOY season; those aren't the kind of guys you want to let walk. And a large part of the Steelers model is premised on retaining home grown talent.