Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Sunday Spotlight: Running back / Help wanted

Legend

User Info Menu

Rashard Mendenhall’s future in Pittsburgh doesn’t look too bright

Posted by Josh Alper on January 25, 2013

When Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert promised changes to the team in his season-ending press conference, many people pointed to the running back spot as an area likely to look different next season.

Injuries and inconsistency helped the Steelers to their fewest rushing yards since 2003, which was also a year that ended without a playoff spot for Pittsburgh. Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Rashard Mendenhall all had turns in the starting lineup and none of them proved up to the task of holding the job for more than a few games at a time. Mendenhall is a free agent after the season and team president Art Rooney II’s comments to the team website don’t paint a picture of a 2013 featuring Mendenhall in the lineup.

“The season Rashard had was not what we would have hoped for,” Rooney said. “Obviously, we knew he was coming back from an injury so there were some unknowns there. So, without getting into the real specifics with Rashard, it’s fair to say that we are going to need a better performance out of the running back position if we’re going to be successful, Whether it’s Rashard or Jonathan or Isaac or somebody else, we have to be better at that position, as well as others, but certainly at that position. In this offseason that’s something we’ve got to look at and decide how we get better and who we get better with.”

The website goes on to say that Mendenhall “seemed to cross the Rubicon” by not showing up for the team’s game against the Chargers this season, a decision that earned him a one-game suspension from the team. The team’s going to find someone to be the lead dog in the backfield next season, but it looks like a safe bet that said person’s name will not be Mendenhall.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/25/rashard-mendenhalls-future-in-pittsburgh-doesnt-look-too-bright/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Gillislee...that is all..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Mike Gillislee...that is all..
    Actually, combine Mike Gillislee with Texan RB Justin Forsett, add Redman & Dwyer, and you cover most needs at RB- speed, power, pass catching ability, pass blocking ability.

If the Steelers are going to do RB by committee, make sure he committee can cover all the needs without overspending in any 1 area.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Marcus Lattimore hopeful injuries won't jeopardize NFL career

NFL.com
    Feb. 23, 2013

His last two college seasons were wiped out by devastating knee injuries, but South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore maintained an optimistic tone about his future while speaking to reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Friday.

"It's a blessing to be here," Lattimore said. "I just think about guys who are less fortunate than me, guys who would kill to be in my shoes right now, even with the injury. That's what keeps me going, that's what keeps me motivated."

Dr. James Andrews, Lattimore's orthopedic surgeon, says the running back is making progress in his recovery, but stressed that Lattimore has a lot of work ahead of him.

"He's motivated, working every day, he's way ahead of the game," Andrews told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, "but it remains to be seen whether he can play next year or not.

"The nature of his injury is the most severe knee injury you can really get. It's going to take a special effort (from him to recover)."

Lattimore is considered one of the biggest question marks of the 2013 NFL Draft. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament during his sophomore year at South Carolina before tearing three ligaments in his right knee last year. As a result, his draft-day stock has taken a significant hit.

Still, Lattimore isn't thinking about where he might play in 2013.

"At this point, it really doesn't matter where I get drafted because I'm going to work hard and do what I've been doing my whole career," he said. "And if I get a chance to play this year, I'm going to make the most out of it, and I feel I will."

Lattimore expressed hope that his two knee injuries will not compromise a future NFL career. After seeing the MVP-caliber season Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson pieced together in 2012 coming off of ACL surgery, Lattimore is confident he can play in the NFL.

"There will never be another Adrian Peterson," Lattimore said, "but that definitely gives me a lot of motivation knowing he came back from it, the way he did, he came back better. And that's what I plan on doing -- just coming back better. Seeing him do what he did this year, I think about that all of the time."

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap1000000143883/article/marcus-lattimore-hopeful-injuries-wont-jeopardize-nfl-career[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Le'veon Bell and Warmack could instantly improve our rushing attack, add TE Eifert and we're good to go.