Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A casual fan looks at the draft

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing them all but here is a specific list that I will really be looking at....

OLB Eziekel Ansah
    WR Terrence Williams
    WR Markus Wheaton
    WR Tavarres King
    OT Kyle Long
    OT DJ Fluker
    DE Margus Hunt
    OLB Alex Okafor
    LB Khassem Greene
    OLB Chase Thomas
    CB Desmond Trufant
    CB Jordan Poyer
    FS Bacarri Rambo
    Will definitely be watching the game. Looking forward to seeing these players.

btw Dee Dub: Last year you posted a list of 9 players you thought were ready to play. This was besides the draft.

I did save the post. But, when I went to retreive it somehow it updated itself and was lost. Probably because the board was having some technical problems at that time. Now what I do is paint the screen and save the page as a picture. It works.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of those players did play well last season. Was Nigel Bradham one of them. I saw where he did become a starter and while he did not set the world on fire he was a solid contributor for the Bills.

NW Steeler said: "Those drafts really have hurt our depth and viable roster turnover."

I just erased a question I was going to ask. It was "Do you think it might have something to do with losing some guy named Modrak? who was the head Steeler Scout type guy a few years ago?" Wow! How time flies. I decided to check it out and that was way back in 1998?? I really thought it was just a couple years ago.

Anyway, talk about coincidences. While looking him up I just saw where he was appointed Director of BLESTO Scouting Org. TS use them maybe it will help.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Will definitely be watching the game. Looking forward to seeing these players.

btw Dee Dub: Last year you posted a list of 9 players you thought were ready to play. This was besides the draft.

I did save the post. But, when I went to retreive it somehow it updated itself and was lost. Probably because the board was having some technical problems at that time. Now what I do is paint the screen and save the page as a picture. It works.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of those players did play well last season. Was Nigel Bradham one of them. I saw where he did become a starter and while he did not set the world on fire he was a solid contributor for the Bills.

NW Steeler said: "Those drafts really have hurt our depth and viable roster turnover."

I just erased a question I was going to ask. It was "Do you think it might have something to do with losing some guy named Modrak? who was the head Steeler Scout type guy a few years ago?" Wow! How time flies. I decided to check it out and that was way back in 1998?? I really thought it was just a couple years ago.

Anyway, talk about coincidences. While looking him up I just saw where he was appointed Director of BLESTO Scouting Org. TS use them maybe it will help.
    No Nigel Bradham would have been one that I missed. Can't take credit for that one. I was all over his teammate Cordy Glenn though wasnt I?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Chadman may have been one of the guys who was high on Bradham, if memory serves.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think Chadman may have been one of the guys who was high on Bradham, if memory serves.
    Yeah I think you are right.

Starter

User Info Menu

I am looking forward to seeing them all but here is a specific list that I will really be looking at....

OLB Eziekel Ansah
    WR Terrence Williams
    WR Markus Wheaton
    WR Tavarres King
    OT Kyle Long
    OT DJ Fluker
    DE Margus Hunt
    OLB Alex Okafor
    LB Khassem Greene
    OLB Chase Thomas
    CB Desmond Trufant
    CB Jordan Poyer
    FS Bacarri Rambo
    It seems many of the above players are mentioned in most reports.

Pewter report:

n the 1-on-1 drills Georgia wide receiver Tavarres King started things off with a nice catch on Georgia safety Bacarri Rambo, who struggled on Monday.

Baylor wide receiver Terrence Williams made a great diving catch on his back on a rainbow of a pass from Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones against Alford, who had tight coverage.

Stanford linebacker Chase Thomas read Manuel’s eyes on the next play and jumped up to swat down a pass across the middle.

from 5th down blog/ NY Times
    One of the interesting aspects of practice reports is the range of observations that multiple writers can have of a player.

WR Markus Wheaton
    Waldman: I thought Wheaton was the star among the skill players today. It’s only the first day of practice, so it doesn’t mean a ton, but I thought he was really sharp with his routes and releases. He uses his hands and feet well for a college player and had no problem beating corners in drills and scrimmage situations. He even forced one defender to tackle him on an out and up.
    Lammey: Wheaton also showed the ability to adjust to poorly-thrown passes, which is a must to become an effective N.F.L. starter. Early in practice he caught a pass that was high and behind him. Most would’ve dropped the ball, but Wheaton snared it and then turned up the field quickly to gain more yards after the catch. On deep passes he showed great ball tracking ability and was able to bring in passes over his shoulder in stride.
    Waldman: Late in practice, Wheaton turned back to a ball placed behind him on a deep streak and made a leaping catch through contact from the defender and maintained possession after landing on his back. If he continues this level of play this week, watch out.

---Many more reports on Draft Daddy's Blog: There is a lengthy report on the battle between Long and Okafor. Somewhat of a draw. Maybe Okafor got the edge. But overall both did very well vs everyone else.

Everyone has a view on Ansah. Hard to decipher. Somewhat mixed.

Important Question for Dee Dub: You have Okafor listed as an OLB. They have him as a DE. Is he a possible tweener. Reason I ask. This was a player that was extremely impressive. Trying to decipher that scout talk that was the impression I got.

Both CB's also got favorable reports.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here some early notes/tid-bits from the Senior Bowl.

[URL]http://gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm[/URL]

This one should be a concern...

HEAVIEST Player goes to Georgia DT JOHN JENKINS @ 359 and Alabama OTD.J. FLUKER who was a close second at 355.

Not sure you want your tackle to be at 355.

And this is a major WOW!!...

TALLEST Player is SMU DE MARGUS HUNT @ 6’8.2”
    I agree the weight is an issue at 360lbs, but can he maintain it? He is extremely athletic for a big guy, but his weight holds him back. He lacks the stamina to put out full effort every down he plays.

Gotta say the safety depth in the draft this year is huge.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Just imagine of Bradham & Timmons were in the middle for the Steelers..... sigh...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's a question along the lines of the OP...

How is it that a player can look reasonably good, good enough to start for his team in a pretty vital position, for a number of seasons... but then stinks it up in these showcase games & looks vastly inferior to guys that he looked better than their whole career?

Point in case- when Chadman was watching film on Mike Gillislee out of Florida (He's pretty decent, by the way), he noticed that one guy that was blocking downfield for him, opening holes, consistantly, was his LT Xavier Nixon. Nixon looked mobile, he looked strong. Yet at Senior Bowl practice he's reported to be slow, not very good laterally & couldn't hold up strength-wise.

Pretty much the opposite of everything we see on (admittedly, limited) tape.

Just how many players are good/bad depending on the scheme they play in college?

Now if you take that question, and add it to the 'how do teams miss on talent after evaluating players for x amount of years'.... you realise that there are so many variables to account for..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No Nigel Bradham would have been one that I missed. Can't take credit for that one. I was all over his teammate Cordy Glenn though wasnt I?
    ??? Glenn was Georgia and Bradham was FSU. Unless you mean at the Senior Bowl.

Sorry I see you meant the Bills.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    ??? Glenn was Georgia and Bradham was FSU. Unless you mean at the Senior Bowl.

Sorry I see you meant the Bills.
    Right..they are now teammates on the Bills.