Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst CUT in Steelers History?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He went to Seattle didn't for a year or two? Then rode the bench in Philly for a year.

Backup

User Info Menu

Kevin Green, Leon Searcy, Mike Vrabel........I was very upset about them allowing Vrabel to go and I know we had Joey Porter but, I still thought he could place with our team. Johnny Unitas for sure along with Dawson but, they proved their skills after they left the Steelers so I really don't believe we let these talents go after knowing how great they were. I didn't miss Woodson because for one, he insisted upon remaining a corner and his time had passed. Had he just played guys straight up instead believeing he could still cover the field with his great speed, Rod could have still been a factor two more season with the Steelers after he had left.
    The few that come to mind that left and still had something to offer our team and make the team better were, Vrabel, Kevin Green and Gary Anderson, Hardy Nickerson.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was upset for a long time when they allowed Vrabel to leave. So in my life time in watching the Steelers, Carnell Lake leaving and Kevin Green. I thought the Gary Anderson was a good flashback too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Ok, I will go with someone not mentioned here. Not sure if he was cut or a free agent. But Hardy Nickerson kicked butt after leaving the Steelers. 5 pro bowls and the all decade team.
    Wasn't he replaced by Kirkland? If so, I don't think we missed anything with that move, might even been an upgrade. Levon, before he got too fat, was awesome. Hardy was expensive at that point. Not a bad move at all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Overall I would have to say Unitas but if you are talking somewhat recently then Hardy Nickerson would be my choice. That guy was one helluva linebacker. Most of the guys who left (Kevin Green, Carnell Lake, etc) had very little left in the tank. I'm getting old and can't remember names anymore but I think we also lost a very good offensive lineman to the 49ers who played on a couple of their SB teams. Maybe someone here can help me out.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    You went to Polk High?
    Now that's funny.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I was upset for a long time when they allowed Vrabel to leave. So in my life time in watching the Steelers, Carnell Lake leaving and Kevin Green. I thought the Gary Anderson was a good flashback too.
    Vrabel left because Cowher didn't know how to use him......and Cowher was bothered that MV was smarter than him and more of a real man and better leader. That bothered Cowher and his frail ego needs. When you "don't know how to use" a player like MV, you suck butt as a coach. Belichick certainly had no problem in knowing how to use him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Overall I would have to say Unitas but if you are talking somewhat recently then Hardy Nickerson would be my choice. That guy was one helluva linebacker. Most of the guys who left (Kevin Green, Carnell Lake, etc) had very little left in the tank. I'm getting old and can't remember names anymore but I think we also lost a very good offensive lineman to the 49ers who played on a couple of their SB teams. Maybe someone here can help me out.
    We lost a good OT in John Jackson, but he went to SD for a few years and then to Cinci for a few more. That was a really good OT that we struggled some to replace. Luckily we had Will Wolford and Justin Strzelczyk, but they were a little long in the tooth. Unluckily, we drafted Jermain Stephens, one of the worst draft picks in the team's history. He was such a horrible 1st round pick. Just terrible. They thought they were drafting another Larry Allen and instead they drafted another Larry Bud Melman.

0_61_032107_Calvert_DeForest.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    We lost a good OT in John Jackson, but he went to SD for a few years and then to Cinci for a few more. That was a really good OT that we struggled some to replace. Luckily we had Will Wolford and Justin Strzelczyk, but they were a little long in the tooth. Unluckily, we drafted Jermain Stephens, one of the worst draft picks in the team's history. He was such a horrible 1st round pick. Just terrible. They thought they were drafting another Larry Allen and instead they drafted another Larry Bud Melman.

0_61_032107_Calvert_DeForest.jpg
    John Jackson was damn solid. One of my all time fave players!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm going to throw a name out that I never knew. Brent Jones was drafted by the Steelers in 1986 in the 5th round. We evidently cut him and he went on to have a great career for the 49ers ... the TE was selected to 4 Pro Bowls.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!