Thread: I hate WR bubble screens

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I hate WR bubble screens

And I noticed the teams in the final 4 barely used them. I saw a few here and there, but nothing to the degree that Pgh used them this season. They feel like wasted plays to me. And they aren't even "safe" even though the Steelers probably think they are. Those passes are often a hair away from being batted or picked, or, as we saw in the SD game, they can end up as backwards passes, turning them into live balls if the WR doesn't catch them.

If the CBs are playing way off, OK, mix in a few of them to keep them honest, but don't make a gad damn game plan centered around the damn things.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pats run more bubbles and WR/TE screens than any team in the league.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pats run more bubbles and WR/TE screens than any team in the league.
    Well, how did it work out for them?

Legend

User Info Menu

Since every team does them they must have some value.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not me. I like them and think they can be very useful...provided you have a WR who can break a one on one tackle. Like a Hines Ward. The problem for the Steelers is currently they do not have that type of receiver.

Now..I am not saying the Steelers should have 10 a game. But they are useful when the personnel is there for it.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Not me. I like them and think they can be very useful...provided you have a WR who can break a one on one tackle. Like a Hines Ward. The problem for the Steelers is currently they do not have that type of receiver.

Now..I am not saying the Steelers should have 10 a game. But they are useful when the personnel is there for it.
    Brown can break some tackles. Wallace is mostly useless. I don't mind a few, but Pgh has far too many small ball plays, including runs up the middle that go NO WHERE. Combine those with the bubble farts and it leads to a team that can't score points.

Legend

User Info Menu

When executed properly its a great play... but its not something you do every other series or if the DB is playing tight on the WR. On your own GL... NEVER. I think someone pointed out how BA averaged 5 yards with bubble screens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bubble screens are simply the de facto outside running plays for teams who have a sucky running game. Would you rather try an outside toss play to plodders like Dwyer or Redman against a fast defense, or get the ball into Antonio Brown's hands in the open field with one guy to make miss with a juke move?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    bingo

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bubble Screens should never be a called play.
    I liked Ruthless' analyis about providing an Outside Running Game"
    Really does anyone have the ability to get the ball outside from the backfield with defenses as fast as they are???

I'd prefer a bubble screen audible over a called toss play any day of the week.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!