Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Somebody is going to get a star quarterback.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Uhhh...I wouldn't take a chance on him. There was a fight after the USC bowl loss to GT where the young players questioned the Senior leadership of the team. USC is a tricky school because they are usually loaded with talent. I didn't watch a lot of them this year but the games I viewed didn't impress me at all. He's gotten worse IMO... No growth.

Dub... I know you watch a ton of college ball but I don't know man... You like some funny dudes. I wouldn't touch him.
    From Gil Brandt...

2) Matt Barkley, USC: Once considered a potential No. 1 overall pick, Barkley's stock has taken quite a fall. That said, he was a four-year starter for a fine program, enjoying a great deal of success. And he brings notable leadership qualities, having served three years as a team captain.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000126798/article/luke-joeckel-chance-warmack-head-crop-of-top-prospects[/url]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    felt, tell us why you wouldn't touch him? Be specific. And make it about Barkley not his team.
    I think there are/will be durability questions with him. I also think that he's not a natural leader in the on-field sense. (I think off-the-field, he is a fine leader with his actions--hard-work, good guy, etc.) I think he is a product more of manufacturing (which is not to say that all QBs aren't) than he is of innate QB talent. I do think he is pro-ready in the sense of being able to play right away. But there are obvious physical limitations (average speed/escapability, good-enough arm strength) that will hold him back at the next level.

That all being said, I do appreciate your thread Dee Dub, because I do think he is being pushed down the draft board to a point where he's good value. I don't think good value is anywhere until probably the back half of the first round though.

Legend

User Info Menu

Matt Barkley made a big mistake not coming out for last year's draft.

but then again, the Cleveland Browns may have drafted him at #4 so maybe Barkley was smart for staying in school for another year...
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 01-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

A player questioned why Barkley didn't play and questioned the Senior leadership. They lost more than a bowl game... They were ranked #1 and stunk the place up.

As far as Barkley... I don't think he has IT and didn't elevate his play when needed. He isn't mobile... Doesn't have a strong arm and his decision making is suspect. He also doesn't have any big wins lately. Down the stretch he faded, threw a ton of picks vs good competition and had an injury. I would take him as a back up but he isn't going to be a star.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona picked him up but I doubt they would after Leinart. I just don't see a star.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Maybe he will be there in the 2nd. Him or a Tyler Wilson. Someone to groom finally vs the old injury prone guys we have.
    Taking a QB in the 2nd, with a team as many holes as we have, would be insane. I wouldn't go with a QB until the 6th or 7th or even with an undrafted free agent. We cannot continue with our old dudes, to that, I agree. But we need RB, LB, S, WR and could even use OL help and perhaps NT. How on earth could we use a 2nd for a QB while we have a top 11 QB already on the roster? No way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona picked him up but I doubt they would after Leinart. I just don't see a star.
    Me neither. I think he will end up as a back up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

A player questioned why Barkley didn't play and questioned the Senior leadership. They lost more than a bowl game... They were ranked #1 and stunk the place up.

As far as Barkley... I don't think he has IT and didn't elevate his play when needed. He isn't mobile... Doesn't have a strong arm and his decision making is suspect. He also doesn't have any big wins lately. Down the stretch he faded, threw a ton of picks vs good competition and had an injury. I would take him as a back up but he isn't going to be a star.
    Exactly right. He has more of a "timing" arm than a strong one, ala Colt McCoy. Remember watching Colt play for Cle? He never even attempts passes down the field and that makes him easy to defend when you don't have to really defend the entire field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't watch amateur ball as much, but I've been very impressed by Barkley when I've seen him. He's the kind of guy I would love to see as a Steeler though I'm fairly sure it won't happen. Of course, I didn't think Ben would be a Steeler either.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ok got it. I didnt think you would be able to give anything substantial on why you wouldn't take a chance on him. And you are 100% wrong about not elevating when needed. We have a 4 year period in which he lit it up stat-wise which show differently. And dont give me that garbage about winning big games. His defense over the past couple of years is what had more to do with that than him. And as far as you saying his decision making is suspect that is straight garbage too. His low number of picks, low amount of times being sacked, high completion percentage, and the amount of TD's he threw, say differently. That all says he made way more good decisions than suspect one.

But I get it. You wouldn't be you if you didn't say stuff like this.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash