Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Somebody is going to get a star quarterback.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Exactly right. He has more of a "timing" arm than a strong one, ala Colt McCoy. Remember watching Colt play for Cle? He never even attempts passes down the field and that makes him easy to defend when you don't have to really defend the entire field.
    Barkley didnt attempt passes down the field....really? Wow..I'm not even going to go there. You obviously never really saw much of Matt Barkley play.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok got it. I didnt think you would be able to give anything substantial on why you wouldn't take a chance on him. And you are 100% wrong about not elevating when needed. We have a 4 year period in which he lit it up stat-wise which show differently. And dont give me that garbage about winning big games. His defense over the past couple of years is what had more to do with that than him. And as far as you saying his decision making is suspect that is straight garbage too. His low number of picks, low amount of times being sacked, high completion percentage, and the amount of TD's he threw, say differently. That all says he made way more good decisions than suspect one.

But I get it. You wouldn't be you if you didn't say stuff like this.
    LOL... once again you get emotional when presented with facts. Lost 3 of the last 4 games and had 9 picks during that stretch and then he gets hurt. Not a good way to end a college career. So he was on a team with bad defense... sounds like most Pac 12 or Big 12 teams. NFL scouts dont care about big stats vs scrubs. They look at players vs good teams to see how they play under preseure.

Cant believe you are using the excuse of bad defense for his slide.. its college, that never stopped other QBs from getting a few quality wins vs good teams.... and we arent talking about Mizzou or Arizona... this is USC and they had tons of talent on offense.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-19-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    LOL... once again you get emotional when presented with facts. Lost 3 of the last 4 games and had 9 picks during that stretch and then he gets hurt. Not a good way to end a college career. So he was on a team with bad defense... sounds like most Pac 12 or Big 12 teams. NFL scouts dont care about big stats vs scrubs. They look at players vs good teams to see how they play under preseure.

Cant believe you are using the excuse of bad defense for his slide.. its college, that never stopped other QBs from getting a few quality wins vs good teams.... and we arent talking about Mizzou or Arizona... this is USC and they had tons of talent on offense.
    You are not telling the whole story in those last 4 games he played. His defense gave up 39, 62, 38, and 38 points. He was behind a lot in those games. And you forget to mention he also threw 14 TD's passes and 1400 yards in those 4 games. But you are not interested in the whole story. Just enough to discredit someone you don't like.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are not telling the whole story in those last 4 games he played. His defense gave up 39, 62, 38, and 38 points. He was behind a lot in those games. And you forget to mention he also threw 14 TD's passes and 1400 yards in those 4 games. But you are not interested in the whole story. Just enough to discredit someone you don't like.
    You asked why I dont think he wil he a star... did you really think I would throw out a bunch of positives and slobber over the guy to prove my point? I've seen QB's throw for 500 yards in a game but it doesn't mean they will be stars in the NFL. Gino Smith went crazy the first 4 ganes but IMO he won't be a star in the NFL.

[url]http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1459077-matt-barkley-breaking-down-2013-nfl-draft-prospects-draft-stock[/url]

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/17/could-matt-barkleys-draft-stock-be-slipping/[/url]

Arm strength and accuracy downfield is an issue.. and completing 16 of 23 passes at or behind the line of scrimmiage vs Syracuse is embarrasing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In this paticular draft I don't see any QB's that are as good as the ones in the last two drafts, there is a boatload of T martins, but no Tom Brady's.

Now, there could be a sleeper but its pretty much a guess on which QB in this draft could be a starter in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

....Arm strength and accuracy downfield is an issue..
    You just described 80% of the QB's in the NFL. Maybe you should go back and re-read my initial post. I said he was not in the class of the Andrew Lucks's or the Peyton Manning's. Those are top of the top. Barkley still has a skill set and intangibles that in the "right" system could still produce at a high level. If you will recall, Joe Montana's arm strength and accuracy down field were an issue as well.

and completing 16 of 23 passes at or behind the line of scrimmiage vs Syracuse is embarrasing.
    That's Lane Kiffen's offense. Has nothing to do with Barkley. He didn't call the plays. How is that an embarrassment on Barkley?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    In this paticular draft I don't see any QB's that are as good as the ones in the last two drafts....
    No offense but you are stating the obvious...and that has nothing to do with this thread. I am not trying to make Barkley out to be in that class (Luck, RGIII).

Legend

User Info Menu

No offense but you are stating the obvious...and that has nothing to do with this thread. I am not trying to make Barkley out to be in that class (Luck, RGIII).

What class is he in? Schaub, Dalton, Freeman? You said he was a star and teams would kick themselves for passing him up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What class is he in? Schaub, Dalton, Freeman? You said he was a star and teams would kick themselves for passing him up.
    What I said was,"I believe he is an above average QB and has star qualities. One who could, if put in the right situation, with a solid team around him, could win in the NFL and be an elite QB."

You are a funny guy felt. You try and discredit Barkley by using what you call are facts (stats), yet only tell half the story. And then say you can't go by stats to grade him. How funny.

Legend

User Info Menu

What I said was,"I believe he is an above average QB and has star qualities. One who could, if put in the right situation, with a solid team around him, could win in the NFL and be an elite QB."

You are a funny guy felt. You try and discredit Barkley by using what you call are facts (stats), yet only tell half the story. And then say you can't go by stats to grade him. How funny.
    Stats are part of the process... everyone knows that but visually he didnt impress me this year. He is a Landry Jones type of player, good but not greqt and faded when he was needed the most.

What about the reports of his horrible accuracy downfield? His hanging passes? Average physical skills? He neede the perfect surrounded to succeed IMO and that rarely happens in the NFL.