Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After six days of hitting, it's time to rest

Legend

User Info Menu

After six days of hitting, it's time to rest

by Dale Lolley
    Monday, August 04, 2014

After six days of hitting, it's time to rest

Ryan Shazier said his injured right knee is OK. But he was limping around on it pretty noticeably Monday afternoon during practice.

After six consecutive days of live hitting, this team needs a break.

Mike Tomlin will begin to scale things back a little now that the first preseason game is now in sight at the end of the week. I don't expect the Steelers to go quite as hard when they return to practice Wednesday after taking Tuesday off.

@ Ike Taylor kind of questioned Mike Mitchell's hitting ability when I spoke with him today. Not so much questioned it, but said they haven't seen it yet since Mitchell had missed the first week of practices with a groin injury.

Mitchell was activated off the PUP list Monday and promptly made the first tackle of the live running drill, dropping Le'Veon Bell in his tracks.

Later, he leaped high above Markus Wheaton at the goal line to knock down a Ben Roethlisberger pass.

He should be a welcome addition to this defense.

@ In addition to Shazier, Jarvis Jones (groin), Steve McLendon (illness) and Darrius Heyward-Bey (concussion) sat out with injuries Monday.

Taylor and Pouncey were given the day off for maintenance.

It's probably the first time in his career that Taylor has been made to take a maintenance day. He's only ever missed practice when he's been injured.

@ McLendon being out might be the worst thing that happened to Cam Thomas.

He's been at the nose with the first team the last three days and rookie Stephon Tuitt has been at defensive end. Tuitt looks right at home there opposite Cam Heyward.

In fact, you often have to look very closely to figure out which one is which. They are about the same size and body type and Tuitt's No. 91 is awfully similar to Heyward's No. 97.

They're making very similar style plays, as well. Tuitt drove down the line on one play today and held off a blocker with one hand while tackling a running back with the other.

@ Give running back Miguel Maysonet the gold star for taking on the big hit of the day, courtesy of Terance Garvin.

The linebacker came on a blitz up the middle at full speed and Maysonet (5-10, 210), stepped into the void and picked him up in what was a hellacious collision.

@ With Shazier out, Sean Spence moved in with the first team, while Jones was subbed for by Arthur Moats.

@ I feel bad for veteran linebacker Lawrence Timmons. He's been tasked in this camp of working against rookie Dri Archer in one-on-one passing drills.

The speedy Archer has just had his way with Timmons. Today, he caught a ball in the flat, came to a complete stop to freeze Timmons and then burst inside, flying right by him.

Later in the drill, when they had two backs and two backers, Garvin went outside with Archer, yelling, "I got it, I got it." When Archer caught the ball and stutter stepped, Garvin didn't have it any longer. Archer burst down the sideline by himself, leaving Garvin to grasp at air as he yelled obscenities.

@ Archer did put the ball on the ground today in a run drill. He went into the hole, turned and ran completely around some linemen and then burst upfield, only to take a big hit that knocked the ball loose.

I didn't see who hit him thanks to the mass of humanity that was there.

@ The Steelers finished things off with a two-minute drill. Working with Ben Roethlisberger were Antonio Brown, Heath Miller, Archer, Markus Wheaton and Justin Brown. Will Johnson was also in there early on.

They went 63 yards in 1:50 to score on a 4-yard TD pass from Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown.

Bruce Gradkowski led the second unit that included Kashif Moore, Lance Moore, David Paulsen, Derek Moye and running back Tauren Poole.

They reached the 2 after starting at their own 37 with 1:51 on the clock. But Gradkowski's final pass intended for Moye was knocked away.

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh man, can't wait to see Archer play.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Heyward and Tuitt <3333333

Ive been asking for this for over a year, was mocking Tuitt to them so early on as a first round pick last year. This duo is going to be tough to deal with. Tuitt as a rookie might be everything they wanted Hood to be at any point.

Im too excited for them, I cant contain it.

Perfect example how camp updates stir up all kinds of emotions. I say bah to Bryant being "unstoppable" but Tuitt fighting off blocks and making arm tackles gives me a chub. I never said i was the most consistent person though

Legend

User Info Menu

@ Archer did put the ball on the ground today in a run drill. He went into the hole, turned and ran completely around some linemen and then burst upfield, only to take a big hit that knocked the ball loose.
    One of my biggest concerns about Archer, with his small hands. I hope they work him hard on ball security, and I hope he can master it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    One of my biggest concerns about Archer, with his small hands. I hope they work him hard on ball security, and I hope he can master it.
    mine too, especially since Archer struggled with fumbles in college also...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

13 fumbles in 4 years/47 games isn't too too bad but it's a concern given his size

Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson were both knocked for having baby hands too fwiw

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    13 fumbles in 4 years/47 games isn't too too bad but it's a concern given his size

Jamaal Charles and Chris Johnson were both knocked for having baby hands too fwiw
    and Charles has fumbled 19 times in his 6 year NFL career...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And Adrian Peterson has fumbled 27 times but mendenhall only fumbled 13 times in that span. I guess you have to learn how to take the good with the bad

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    And Adrian Peterson has fumbled 27 times but mendenhall only fumbled 13 times in that span. I guess you have to learn how to take the good with the bad
    true, the # of fumbles also depends on the amount of carries...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Reports of Tuitt are similar to JJ Watt as a rookie.

Watt had 48 tackles, 5.5 sacks, and a hand full of passes swatted down as a rookie.

I was not very high on Watt as a rookie, thought he would be more like Adam Carriker but hes looking more like a future hall of famer. But i do think Tuitt in 2012 was a better player than Watt ever was at wisconsin, even if injury balooned him to 330 last year I think we might have gotten someone special in the second round.

Not saying hes going to be a 15-20 sacks a year guy, Wade Phillips defense is designed to get him that and attack from the position but I think he will be special.