Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    just no 1st rounders on the defensive side of the ball this year. we were #1 despite missing troy and deebo most of the year and woodley not perfroming up to his stabdards.

we have 2 recent high picks in heyward and wordlis that still cant get off the bench and going back to hood and timmons, they also took 2 years to start.

we need an immediate impact and (as recent history shows) it wont come from a pick on the defense.

WR biggest need
    RB right behind it
    2nd TE (we use the set enough to warrent one and he can groom under heath for a few years

Ol is actually 1 position that i think we have enough guys to get the job them. just have to let them play. maybe a late rounder to fill in at OG.
    That would be devastating, long term. 7 of the 11 starters on defense are OVER 30 (i.e., rapidly approaching retirement age).
    Keisel (34), Hampton (35), Foote(32), Troy(31), Clark (33) Ike(32), Harrison (34)...
    you don't wanna wait until all those 30-somethings start dropping and scramble to replace them out of need, you want to phase in defensive players and get value, when it's available. A defense that had only 10 interceptions and only 37 sacks; numbers that indicate the players are a step slower than they were in 2008 when they won they super bowl and averaged almost a full sack per game more... then again, Foote, Troy, Ike and Clark were all in their 20's and Harrison and Keisel were just 30...

By contrast, offensively, Heath and Ben are both 30... max is 31 and not even expected back... everybody else is in their 20's.

It's time to find a pass rusher, a run stuffer and a ball-hawk... NOW. Give them a season behind they guys in front of them to learn the defense, and let all those then-36-year-old players walk graciously into the sunset...

I could see this draft looking a lot like the "Timmons-Woodley" draft when Tomlin first took over.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just to cheer most of you guys up a little, I doubt the Steelers would take a Guard in the first round. If I had to break it down it would be BPA AT OLB, SAFETY OR CORNER. One of those three, but I wouldn't mind having Chance Warmack either, or one of those NT's Jessie Williams or John Jenkins.

WR and RB we can get after the first.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm thinking BPA at OLB, ILB, NT... if nothing is there, they go for WR, RB, CB, S

I fully expect pick #1 to be one of 3 players: Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree or Manti Te'o. Jordan is pure OLB, Teo is pure ILB and Ogletree is more Timmons-esque, in that, he potentially could move to either ILB or OLB. At this point, I'd sell the farm and bank on one of the 3...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    That would be devastating, long term. 7 of the 11 starters on defense are OVER 30 (i.e., rapidly approaching retirement age).
    Keisel (34), Hampton (35), Foote(32), Troy(31), Clark (33) Ike(32), Harrison (34)...
    you don't wanna wait until all those 30-somethings start dropping and scramble to replace them out of need, you want to phase in defensive players and get value, when it's available. A defense that had only 10 interceptions and only 37 sacks; numbers that indicate the players are a step slower than they were in 2008 when they won they super bowl and averaged almost a full sack per game more... then again, Foote, Troy, Ike and Clark were all in their 20's and Harrison and Keisel were just 30...

By contrast, offensively, Heath and Ben are both 30... max is 31 and not even expected back... everybody else is in their 20's.

It's time to find a pass rusher, a run stuffer and a ball-hawk... NOW. Give them a season behind they guys in front of them to learn the defense, and let all those then-36-year-old players walk graciously into the sunset...

I could see this draft looking a lot like the "Timmons-Woodley" draft when Tomlin first took over.
    i disagree

the defense has been good for a long time. it was #1 despite missing troy and harrison for a good chunk.

woodely, timmons are in their prime. lewis and allen are young corners and 2 other young high draft picks cant get off the bench and have been primed to replace 2 of those over 30 starters. and spence was promising in training camp too.
    thats more then half the defense.

then you dont need a high pick to eat up the NT spot. not in the passing league we have now. free safety is another spot on our roster thats been filled with lower round draft choices or average free agent signings (hope/clark). kind of like our DEs used to be

the offense may be younger but the only good part of it(hopefully) is the OL. watching these playoffs, you see how these other receivers go up and get the ball? our YMC are a joke compared to them. they fumble without getting touched on their way to a long TD, they trip over grass on their way to the end zone. and it looks like they wont be bringing back their most productive receiver the last few years. so we're already working on not having as good of an offense

monday mornings all you see on here is bitching about the offense. get some damn players that can ball on that side. ben cant keep turning chicken chit into chicken salad

interesting fact... once free agency starts, there will not be a 1st or 2nd round pick on the roster at the skill positions (RB/WR). can another team in the league say that
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 01-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm thinking BPA at OLB, ILB, NT... if nothing is there, they go for WR, RB, CB, S

I fully expect pick #1 to be one of 3 players: Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree or Manti Te'o. Jordan is pure OLB, Teo is pure ILB and Ogletree is more Timmons-esque, in that, he potentially could move to either ILB or OLB. At this point, I'd sell the farm and bank on one of the 3...
    even if te'o starts

who comes off the field in nickel and dime packages? timmons isnt cause he can cover better right now. so are we gonna use another high pick to play sparingly the next few years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Ruthless, where are the scouts now projecting that C/G/T from Alabama going? The one who played C in the Champ. game... Early 2nd round?
    Yeah, that's probably about right for Barrett Jones at this point.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Physically, yeah, Ogletree fits. But with our recent risk-reward failures fresh in our mind, I highly doubt they use their top pick on a guy who was was suspended for the first 4 games of this past season because of a failed drug test. They have been known to make exceptions before (Mike Adams and Marvel Smith come to mind), but those were 2nd round picks, not the marquis first round guy that you parade around in front of all of the cameras. And, unfortunately, Te'o is looking less and less likely as well due to this fiasco...we need increased focus between the white lines...don't need the "Today Show" showing up at Latrobe for the latest on Te'o or TMZ cameras scouting out the team's South Side HQ. A trade down to nab Minter while getting an extra day two pick is more likely in my mind if ILB is their top target.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers are going to try and find their needs in all the rounds, the first round may be BPA no matter what the position is.
    We can speculate but I'm thinking the Steelers are going to draft for the long term in this paticular draft and at least get one or two needed positions filled for the short term.
    Colbert and staff will be really working hard this off season, another season like this or worse could put some jobs in jeapordy not only players but coaches as well.
    I think they all know the challenge ahead but Colbert has to be smart about it. Yeah, we need to get younger and unload older and high paying contracts but be careful in the process.
    We have what left, the Senior Bowl, the Super Bowl, heck I'm ready for the draft right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

^^^ This is why we need another league. Something that starts in Feb. and goes through May, etc. I know they tried other leagues and they didn't work out, but some sort of minor league system with some of the guys from the practice squads, etc. should be beneficial to all. Fans too. Oh well...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    even if te'o starts

who comes off the field in nickel and dime packages? timmons isnt cause he can cover better right now. so are we gonna use another high pick to play sparingly the next few years?
    Patrick Willis comes off the field on 3rd down passing plays. Does it diminishes the player he is or the impact he has?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash