Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

We won our recent SuperBowls thanks to 4 guys - Ben, Troy, Deebo, and Casey. Ben's still young enough to play in his prime. The other 3 aren't. We need another defensive star asap. And they can play any position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly. Again, how can just assume that by drafting another OL in round 1 that that will translate into perfect protection for Ben? How can anyone assume that Ben would never get sacked again? This assumption is just absurd. DD, so far, hasn't played up to his billing after his 3 starts. Downright awful in the Cincy game. Many on here thought he was our savior right out of the gate. Not- he has a ways to go yet... Wormack could be the same way. And talk about fat, he needs a treadmill and a dietician.

The defense isn't getting any younger, and we're losing players over there. It's time to revamp and get some depth on D.....

Add a real FB,another TE via the draft and a RB in FA or the draft... Our running game will be just fine with the OL we have now. I would reconsider on bringing back Starks for depth though. And resigning Foster as well.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Exactly. Again, how can just assume that by drafting another OL in round 1 that that will translate into perfect protection for Ben? How can anyone assume that Ben would never get sacked again? This assumption is just absurd. DD, so far, hasn't played up to his billing after his 3 starts. Downright awful in the Cincy game. Many on here thought he was our savior right out of the gate. Not- he has a ways to go yet... Wormack could be the same way. And talk about fat, he needs a treadmill and a dietician.

The defense isn't getting any younger, and we're losing players over there. It's time to revamp and get some depth on D.....

Add a real FB,another TE via the draft and a RB in FA or the draft... Our running game will be just fine with the OL we have now. I would reconsider on bringing back Starks for depth though. And resigning Foster as well.
    Who said Ben will "never get sacked again" or we would have "perfect protection" with Wormack ??? just making things up as you go I see.. Then you go onto say that DeCastro isn't very good but then later state that we will be fine without another Offensive lineman? You exaggerate too much to accentuate your point.. We've spend way too much cash on the Defense as is.. If Ben gets injured again due to his own play or lack of protection nothing is going to matter much anyways..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The two best in this draft are Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz. Both are 6'6" 250 lbs. They are both rated in the late 1st, early 2nd area, though, meaning that neither one of them will be the BPA at #17, and neither of them should fall as far as #48 either. The only way that I see us ending up with one of these guys is via a trade-down scenario in which we land another valuable day two pick.
    I have actually seen those two play a few times

Starter

User Info Menu

i agree. I
    would really like a sick CB. That way if we lose Lewis in FA, we still have Taylor, Cortez Allen, the rookie and Brown. If we retain Lewis, we are 4 deep at what has become a very important position. If not a DB, then a bad ass LB like jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    We won our recent SuperBowls thanks to 4 guys - Ben, Troy, Deebo, and Casey. Ben's still young enough to play in his prime. The other 3 aren't. We need another defensive star asap. And they can play any position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    Who said Ben will "never get sacked again" or we would have "perfect protection" with Wormack ??? just making things up as you go I see.. Then you go onto say that DeCastro isn't very good but then later state that we will be fine without another Offensive lineman? You exaggerate too much to accentuate your point.. We've spend way too much cash on the Defense as is.. If Ben gets injured again due to his own play or lack of protection nothing is going to matter much anyways..

Well, go back and read many of your fellow posters on other threads, they make it sound like drafting Wormack would be the end of Ben getting sacked, just like they were posting when we drafted DD. lol. For the last time- Ben is Ben. He's gonna play that way regardless if we have 5 pro bowlers up front or not! People were stating that DD was the best OL we had even though he never played a down of NFL caliber football.. That's no exaggeration.. Go look it up..

We've spent money on both sides of the ball. Look it up. Many of our defensive stars are either going to retire soon, or will be outright cut to save money. It's definitely time to concern ourselves with the defense. We need more play makers- to be honest- on both sides of the ball....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-20-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Starter

User Info Menu

Well, go back and read many of your fellow posters on other threads, they make it sound like drafting Wormack would be the end of Ben getting sacked, just like they were posting when we drafted DD. lol. For the last time- Ben is Ben. He's gonna play that way regardless if we have 5 pro bowlers up front or not! People were stating that DD was the best OL we had even though he never played a down of NFL caliber football.. That's no exaggeration.. Go look it up..

We've spent money on both sides of the ball. Look it up. Many of our defensive stars are either going to retire soon, or will be outright cut to save money. It's definitely time to concern ourselves with the defense. We need more play makers- to be honest- on both sides of the ball....
    DD is the best guard "prospect" to come out in many years.. as a rookie I don't think most ppl are stupid enough to believe he would save us.. as Faneca took time to develop as well.. Some were over excited.. hell, we got a player that we didn't think we could get..

And then he gets injured and plays 3 games and you kinda trash the guy.. sounds like YOU were the one expecting more out of a rookie.. I'm not here to argue.. Yes, we need some play makers on both sides of the ball.. As you know our OLINE gets injured more than other teams for some reason, so yes, lets fortify it and give it depth.. Get the run game going and protect ben as best we can.. Like the "ELITE" teams do with their quarterback..
    Last edited by LordVile; 01-20-2013 at 01:18 AM.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea, I'm not here to argue either, but when I read some of this stuff that just doesn't make good football sense, it gets me going, and maybe it shouldn't, but it's laughable at times. I played many years ago on the OL in college, so I think I do know a little about what's going on up front. I thought we got adequate play out of Foster this year, to be honest. He was competing with DD in camp and it was neck and neck there as to who would start, but let's be honest, the 1st round draft pick would eventually prevail on that. But then the injury....

Anyway, my thoughts this year are that we need another good young TE who can block as well as a capable FB. A la some one similar to my boy Vonte Leach. I think picking up a TE, a FB, and a RB, maybe via FA will do wonders for our running game. Not to mention better blocking schemes by Haley and the new OL coach. In other words, there are other factors that can help up front, rather than devoting another 1st round pick for another OG. As far as protecting Ben? I've already spoken my mind on that part....ok, I guess I'm gonna have to just keep my mouth shut now until April. lol
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-20-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

No one here ever said Ben wouldn't get sacked again, its about solidifing our interior o-line and its not absurd. Look back at the last few years where our run game had issues and still does because there is no consistency in run blocking. Rooney came out public on the inability to run the ball more effectively but if you don't have the horses up front even Jim Brown would have trouble.

As for the FB position I thought Will Johnson did well not only in blocking but in pass plays, I do agree another TE would be a good selection but not in the first round.
    The Baltimore Ravens always known for their defense have increased their offensive production adding players like Tory Smith, Dennis Pitta, but also they put together a good o-line through the draft and FA's. If you look at their team they can beat you with the run or pass its not about defense being dominate anymore its about balance.

Our team for too long now can't seem to generate points, we are 26 the in the league in rushing even though Ben got sacked LESS this year, we need run blockers on that line so we can balance our offense.
    I'm tired of seeing our offense struggle, we have a good QB, good receivers and excellent TE, but if you don't win the battle on the line of scrimmage the inability to score points will continue.

If you look at the remaining teams in the playoffs they all have the ability to score points something you need to get that far, you can't do it on defense alone anymore. They all have good o-lines as well, something you need to get that balance we're looking for. Take N.E for example, they have a no name back who ran for over a 1,000 yrds even though they are a pass first offense, the big thing is they have a good O-line.

The Steelers fired Arians and brought in Haley two different styles of running an offense but the results were the same, a inability to score points and run the football. Its not the OC's, its the line, fix that and we'll have better results.
    Look, we need help on both sides of the ball, its just my opinion we need more on the offensive side but don't go by what I'm saying its all on tape.

All the teams that made the playoffs had an ability to score points, many had to score over 30 to win their games and if they couldn't they would lose. We scored over 30 one damn time this year.....fix the offense first!!!!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-20-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    No one here ever said Ben wouldn't get sacked again, its about solidifing our interior o-line and its not absurd. Look back at the last few years where our run game had issues and still does because there is no consistency in run blocking. Rooney came out public on the inability to run the ball more effectively but if you don't have the horses up front even Jim Brown would have trouble.

As for the FB position I thought Will Johnson did well not only in blocking but in pass plays, I do agree another TE would be a good selection but not in the first round.
    The Baltimore Ravens always known for their defense have increased their offensive production adding players like Tory Smith, Dennis Pitta, but also they put together a good o-line through the draft and FA's. If you look at their team they can beat you with the run or pass its not about defense being dominate anymore its about balance.

Our team for too long now can't seem to generate points, we are 26 the in the league in rushing even though Ben got sacked LESS this year, we need run blockers on that line so we can balance our offense.
    I'm tired of seeing our offense struggle, we have a good QB, good receivers and excellent TE, but if you don't win the battle on the line of scrimmage the inability to score points will continue.

If you look at the remaining teams in the playoffs they all have the ability to score points something you need to get that far, you can't do it on defense alone anymore. They all have good o-lines as well, something you need to get that balance we're looking for. Take N.E for example, they have a no name back who ran for over a 1,000 yrds even though they are a pass first offense, the big thing is they have a good O-line.

The Steelers fired Arians and brought in Haley two different styles of running an offense but the results were the same, a inability to score points and run the football. Its not the OC's, its the line, fix that and we'll have better results.
    Look, we need help on both sides of the ball, its just my opinion we need more on the offensive side but don't go by what I'm saying its all on tape.

All the teams that made the playoffs had an ability to score points, many had to score over 30 to win their games and if they couldn't they would lose. We scored over 30 one damn time this year.....fix the offense first!!!!
    Your last sentence hits the nail on the head. The era of dominant defenses is long over. This is a league where offense is given all the advantages so we have to keep up or be an also ran. It is a football version of the ColdWar arms race between the US and the USSR. You have to make sure you have more firepower than the enemy because then you can be proactive and not reactive.

Our priority in this draft should be adding to the OL, adding a TE and a RB. It doesn't mean you ignore the defense but you don't need to use the premium picks on players who won't be allowed to start for one to two years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"