Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

We discussed a fair amount of prospects, and positions the Steelers might draft. We also know we could use help in several positions plus considered the Steelers might draft the BPA.
    According to our poll here OLB seems to be our greatest need and I wouldn't argue with that but I have another take and ask you if it makes any sense to you.

We could draft a safety and be set for the future, an OLB, WR,RB and get help now but I have another thought.

I'm thinking which one player that could possibly make one area of our team not only better it could make it dominate in the future. I'm thinking it would help us right now too, plus the future. We can debate which side of the ball needs more help but for me when you struggle to score points it begs for help to correct it.

I've always thought for any offense to work well you need a QB first which we have, then you need a O-line to protect him and blockers who can make even an average back look good. It all goes hand and hand with a strong O-line, a entire offense can feed off that.

Just imagin if we drafted Chance Warmack in our first pick. We would have the following O-line in place as projected with Starks , Foster, and Colon all leaving.

LT MIKE ADAMS

LG CHANCE WARMACK *

C POUNCEY*

RG DECASTRO*

RT GILBERT

I would think the interior of that line could be dominate, help our run game and improve the offense as a whole, the only question is if Adams or Gilbert could play that LT position at least decent.

My original pick was NT, but we have 3 potential players for that position with the addition of Fangupo. If we draft an OLB, chances are he won't start as Woodley and Worlids would be the starters if Harrison leaves. If we draft a Safety he too wouldn't start because of Troy and Clark.

The only positions I see a #1 pick start is LG or RB, out of the two I want the LG first so our backs have the blockers up front. I know we went O-line last season with our picks but now we should solidify it and make it a strong point of our team.
    I'm tired of seeing Ben with an average line, lets give him what most playoff teams have....a good O-line.

About three years ago the 49ers weren't that good offensively, they had a good D, but struggled until they drafted help on their O-line. Today, they have 3 PRO BOWLERS who start on that line who are all coming together now.

O-LINE!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-19-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How about TE? He can help protect Ben but can also be a weapon. The fact that the health of our Heath is questionable for the start of the year only makes it that much more compelling to me. Zach Ertz should be available when we pick from what I've read. He has also played alongside David DeCastro, so you would think there would be some kind of bonus there as well.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't follow college ball that close. Plus the fact that Miller is probably my favorite Steeler at this point. But who are some play making TE's in the college ranks that could make an impact?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    I don't follow college ball that close. Plus the fact that Miller is probably my favorite Steeler at this point. But who are some play making TE's in the college ranks that could make an impact?
    The two best in this draft are Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz. Both are 6'6" 250 lbs. They are both rated in the late 1st, early 2nd area, though, meaning that neither one of them will be the BPA at #17, and neither of them should fall as far as #48 either. The only way that I see us ending up with one of these guys is via a trade-down scenario in which we land another valuable day two pick.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The two best in this draft are Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz. Both are 6'6" 250 lbs. They are both rated in the late 1st, early 2nd area, though, meaning that neither one of them will be the BPA at #17, and neither of them should fall as far as #48 either. The only way that I see us ending up with one of these guys is via a trade-down scenario in which we land another valuable day two pick.
    I have actually seen those two play a few times

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

supersteeler, that is all great, but how do you propose the Steelers draft Chance Warmack? They can't do it at number 17. He will be long off the board by then. I think it would be a better discussion on how we obtain him instead of fantasizing about how we would look if we had him. You're on on the clock, chief.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    supersteeler, that is all great, but how do you propose the Steelers draft Chance Warmack? They can't do it at number 17. He will be long off the board by then. I think it would be a better discussion on how we obtain him instead of fantasizing about how we would look if we had him. You're on on the clock, chief.
    Please Dub, Just like Decastro would not be there for us at what 24. The Draft is different now with the rookie wages. 2nd year in and everyone has to get used to the "new" system. 8 new coaches throw a wrench into it also. Is it also 9 new GM's? Who would have put money on Seattle's pick last year? Since the 08 draft it seems things have changed. Players that are rated high in the sports/nfl media are falling because some teams take big chances on players or the back round info is more looked at then the past. What kind of effect does all the internet stuff of players show teams? I for one am glad I just have fun with mock drafts because it is only that anymore. For fun.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Please Dub, Just like Decastro would not be there for us at what 24. The Draft is different now with the rookie wages. 2nd year in and everyone has to get used to the "new" system. 8 new coaches throw a wrench into it also. Is it also 9 new GM's? Who would have put money on Seattle's pick last year? Since the 08 draft it seems things have changed. Players that are rated high in the sports/nfl media are falling because some teams take big chances on players or the back round info is more looked at then the past. What kind of effect does all the internet stuff of players show teams? I for one am glad I just have fun with mock drafts because it is only that anymore. For fun.
    But DeCastro was never rated as one of the top 3 players in his draft class. Warmack is. Big difference. Warmack will be long gone before pick number 17.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    But DeCastro was never rated as one of the top 3 players in his draft class. Warmack is. Big difference. Warmack will be long gone before pick number 17.
    We will see. I have not seen him rated in the top 3? Things have changed and I am sticking with that. Team grades seem to be much different then the media anymore. Were was Decastro rated the day before the draft? How far did he fall really? The projections are much harder now I think. But I don't think other teams will pass on Warmack. So I agree he will not be there at 17 as of today. But it will be close and things could change from now till draft day. If he is drafted before 17 I think he maybe the highest guard pick in the last 13 years. History is not on his side but things have changed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    We will see. I have not seen him rated in the top 3? Things have changed and I am sticking with that. Team grades seem to be much different then the media anymore. Were was Decastro rated the day before the draft? How far did he fall really? The projections are much harder now I think. But I don't think other teams will pass on Warmack. So I agree he will not be there at 17 as of today. But it will be close and things could change from now till draft day. If he is drafted before 17 I think he maybe the highest guard pick in the last 13 years. History is not on his side but things have changed.
    Well then you haven't paid much attention. Almost everyone has him rated that high.

SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32

Player Pos. School Grade
    1. [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29237"]Star Lotulelei[/URL] DT Utah 96
    2. [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/30227/damontre-moore"]Damontre Moore[/URL]* DE Texas A&M 96
    3. [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29233"]Chance Warmack[/URL] G Alabama 96

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013[/url]

[url]http://gbnreport.com/top100.html[/url]

And from Gil Brandt, ex-NFL GM/Director of Scouting....

3) Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama: The last guard to be taken with a top-10 draft pick was Chris Naeole, selected 10th overall by the [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO"]New Orleans Saints[/URL] in 1997. However, guards are becoming more important, and Warmack, who's strong in both pass protection and run blocking, projects as a 15-year player in the NFL.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000126798/article/luke-joeckel-chance-warmack-head-crop-of-top-prospects[/url]