Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: Your Thoughts on our # 1 Pick 2013 Draft

  1. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,341
    I'm not up on Warmack but I dont think we need another fat guy in the interior... we need playmakers. I would prefer a TE, RB, CB. If thqt means we trade down to get him then so be it. We have picked up more than enough lineman and drafting more wont cure our woee when we have RB by committee, a TE who is injured and DB's who cant catch.

    People acted like DD was the secind coming of Faneca and would make our OL better on day 1. He had a decent camp but the word was Foster held his own as well. The last thing I want is a guy magically falling to us AGAIN and then witnessing why he fell and others passed on him. I'm tired of having to wait 2 or 3 years for a guy to get it... It would be nice to get a baller who can help us on day 1.

  2. #32
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    No one here ever said Ben wouldn't get sacked again, its about solidifing our interior o-line and its not absurd. Look back at the last few years where our run game had issues and still does because there is no consistency in run blocking. Rooney came out public on the inability to run the ball more effectively but if you don't have the horses up front even Jim Brown would have trouble.

    As for the FB position I thought Will Johnson did well not only in blocking but in pass plays, I do agree another TE would be a good selection but not in the first round.
    The Baltimore Ravens always known for their defense have increased their offensive production adding players like Tory Smith, Dennis Pitta, but also they put together a good o-line through the draft and FA's. If you look at their team they can beat you with the run or pass its not about defense being dominate anymore its about balance.

    Our team for too long now can't seem to generate points, we are 26 the in the league in rushing even though Ben got sacked LESS this year, we need run blockers on that line so we can balance our offense.
    I'm tired of seeing our offense struggle, we have a good QB, good receivers and excellent TE, but if you don't win the battle on the line of scrimmage the inability to score points will continue.

    If you look at the remaining teams in the playoffs they all have the ability to score points something you need to get that far, you can't do it on defense alone anymore. They all have good o-lines as well, something you need to get that balance we're looking for. Take N.E for example, they have a no name back who ran for over a 1,000 yrds even though they are a pass first offense, the big thing is they have a good O-line.

    The Steelers fired Arians and brought in Haley two different styles of running an offense but the results were the same, a inability to score points and run the football. Its not the OC's, its the line, fix that and we'll have better results.
    Look, we need help on both sides of the ball, its just my opinion we need more on the offensive side but don't go by what I'm saying its all on tape.

    All the teams that made the playoffs had an ability to score points, many had to score over 30 to win their games and if they couldn't they would lose. We scored over 30 one damn time this year.....fix the offense first!!!!

    Wow. Don't know where to begin with this one. First of all, if you ask anyone from NE area, they would take offense to the quote you have there that they have no good RB's. Sure they don't have AP out there, but still...

    Baltimore has Ray Rice. We have no Ray Rice on our team and no pro bowl caliber FB such as Vonte Leach. Johnso di an adequate job, however there were times when our RB didn't follow their FB leading the way.

    Please re-read my post from above. You missed a few things. We actually do a pretty good job of running the ball when we pull our guards and man block. Colon did a good job of that until he got hurt. Hello Kemo was known for that too. This is a big reason why I like the idea of moving Pouncey to LG. He'd make for a great pulling OG, in my opinion. Let Legs play C and/ or draft a C in the middle part of this draft. Maybe even the guy from Alabama.

    In my opinion, our guys do just an avg. job at zone blocking. I'm ready to see a new OL coach in there.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  3. #33
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm not up on Warmack but I dont think we need another fat guy in the interior... we need playmakers. I would prefer a TE, RB, CB. If thqt means we trade down to get him then so be it. We have picked up more than enough lineman and drafting more wont cure our woee when we have RB by committee, a TE who is injured and DB's who cant catch.

    People acted like DD was the secind coming of Faneca and would make our OL better on day 1. He had a decent camp but the word was Foster held his own as well. The last thing I want is a guy magically falling to us AGAIN and then witnessing why he fell and others passed on him. I'm tired of having to wait 2 or 3 years for a guy to get it... It would be nice to get a baller who can help us on day 1.

    Yup. Exactly my thoughts too. I witnessed DD stinking up the joint 1st hand on Dec. 23rd against the Bengals. He needs to have a good 2013 TC to get off to a better start.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-20-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  4. #34
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Please re-read my post from above. You missed a few things. We actually do a pretty good job of running the ball when we pull our guards and man block.
    Yeah, thats why we have a rushing totals that refute that statement. As for the Pats because of their o-line their back does have a name now, they could put ANY back in their and he would have success again, because of their O-line.

    The proof is in the tape if you watched it, two years in a row our run game was putrid and it wasn't because of our backs not trying the blocks wern't there. Remember when we had Jerome the defense stacked the box and still couldn't stop him because our line back then was making blocks. Yeah he did some on his own with that power he had and quick feet but its the O-line that paves the way for a good run game.

    Yeah, draft a OLB, that will help our run game and this ridiculous inability to score points because we have no balance in our offense.
    No one is going to convince me Lacy or any other back is going to solve the issue until we get run blocking solved first.

    We can debate this until the cows come home, however that facts show the main reason we are sitting at home is the inability of our offense to score points, 30 points a year ain't doing it, and a lack of run game didn't help in the matter.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-20-2013 at 10:38 AM.

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    3,577
    With the new pay system, skill players are going higher bc they don't have to be paid a crap load. Instead of taking a guard high, teams will take a risky qb bc it won't kill them financially like it used to.
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

    I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

  6. #36
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,223
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Please re-read my post from above. You missed a few things. We actually do a pretty good job of running the ball when we pull our guards and man block.
    Yeah, thats why we have a rushing totals that refute that statement. As for the Pats because of their o-line their back does have a name now, they could put ANY back in their and he would have success again, because of their O-line.

    The proof is in the tape if you watched it, two years in a row our run game was putrid and it wasn't because of our backs not trying the blocks wern't there. Remember when we had Jerome the defense stacked the box and still couldn't stop him because our line back then was making blocks. Yeah he did some on his own with that power he had and quick feet but its the O-line that paves the way for a good run game.

    Yeah, draft a OLB, that will help our run game and this ridiculous inability to score points because we have no balance in our offense.
    No one is going to convince me Lacy or any other back is going to solve the issue until we get run blocking solved first.

    We can debate this until the cows come home, however that facts show the main reason we are sitting at home is the inability of our offense to score points, 30 points a year ain't doing it, and a lack of run game didn't help in the matter.
    Fact is- Main reason why we're sitting home for the playoffs is because our QB threw that pick returned for an easy TD against Cincinnati. Never should have thrown that ball. Obvious where I was sitting- which was in that very endzone...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  7. #37
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Fact is- Main reason why we're sitting home for the playoffs is because our QB threw that pick returned for an easy TD against Cincinnati. Never should have thrown that ball. Obvious where I was sitting- which was in that very endzone...
    I won't dispute that 73, or the one in Dallas. Every player except Heath Miller shared in the results of this non-playoff season, I wish it was different but we have no choice in the matter. I bet your beer tasted bad after that, its a bad taste for all of us steeler fans the way this season unfolded.

  8. #38
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It doesn't mean you ignore the defense but you don't need to use the premium picks on players who won't be allowed to start for one to two years.
    You say this every year. Don't use premium picks on players who won't be allowed to start for one to two years. If we followed your strategy, we would never have a premium pick on defense ever again.


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  9. #39
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,223
    Got that right 110%. And it is, just like you say, a cap/ contract issue too. You put all your eggs into one basket (all 1st round draft picks going to the OL or any position for that matter) and you will eventually pay the piper when contracts come up 4-5 yrs out.

    Realistically, you have to spread it (1st round picks) out over the entire team, and they are doing that.....Common sense would say that defense, where ever it is, is probably up next. Unless, like you were saying maybe even a TE. I can see that option too.

    Ruthless, where are the scouts now projecting that C/G/T from Alabama going? The one who played C in the Champ. game... Early 2nd round? Trading down might be a good option if we could get both a defensive playmaker and maybe a C like him, but then again, I don't like the idea of going all the way down twice into the 2nd round like you were predicting in your one thread. I can see them doing it once, if say, Te'o is gone at 17 and there is no one worthy of picking at 17... Te'o still intrigues me as a lb though. I just think he's gonna be that good of a ball player. He's all over the field when he plays...I really liked Hightower last year, and he's doing well at NE, however, I think Te'o is ten times the athlete and playmaker Hightower will ever be. I can see him starting immediately, esp. if Foote is released.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-20-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  10. #40
    I think this is the year the Steelers draft a freak OLB to rush the passer. I believe T'eo falls to them but they pass.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •