Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben to Arizona Cardinals trade...would you do this?

Legend

User Info Menu

Trading away a franchise QB who should be entering his prime?

Negative on the trade.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Where do I sign!!

Even though I would have to face the fact that Ben would be so highly motivated going to AZ to play for Arians. I'm sure he could hardly wait back to transform back into his perennial game-winning, ultra-playmaking ways so he and Arians can stick it to us up the rear....... Sadly though, it would probably take something as drastic as that to shake-up Ben to truly be great again....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Why do you say Barkley sucks? I dont think he sucks he isnt as great as the hype about him prior to this year but I hardly think he sucks. A 4 year starter who has a solid accurate arm. Put him in a power running game offense and I think he could manage the offense well enough to win. Remember even though he had some great receivers to throw to for most of his 4 years he played on a team that had restrictions levied on the number of scholarships they could give.

115 career TD's to 48 INT's, over 11,000 yards passing, a near 65% completion percentage, and having only been sacked 55 times over 4 years? Man I'd like to suck like that. And this was not in any gimmick offense. This was in a pro-style set.
    I was thinking something similar. While I admit to not watching amateur football as much, I remember when Barkley and USC came to Ohio State in primetime his Freshman year. He had all the lights on him and 100,000 screaming Buckeyes that wanted to see him dead. He was able to manage the game and make some great throws as as Freshman in the harshest of circumstances. It wasn't too big for him. He's also not some one-year wonder. Anyway, I can't tell you how great he is or not in comparison to some others, but he impressed me.

IF you could get that trade scenario, I'd do it. Ben is great and he's one of my favorite Steelers ever. I don't think the team is more than some focus and health away from being a SB contender, so I don't suggest getting rid of the franchise QB lightly. That said, I don't know that he has that many healthy years left and what the team would get in return would set things up for the next decade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    They are actually coming out about every other year now. You dont have to wait 20 years any more.
    Yeah, and last year was the year to get yourself franchise QB. This year, guys like Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and Mike Glennon seem to be more in line with the Christian Ponder/Jake Locker/Blaine Gabbert types than the Luck/RG3 types. Each of the guys are talented in their own way, and great college QB's, but I don't see any blow-me-away sure-things here on the next level...far from it.

I do love me some Patrick Peterson though...he was my draft man-crush from a few years back, but I'd still pass. A bona fide franchise QB is simply too important. If you don't have one these days, you need every last thing to go right for you just to have a shot. No thanks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Winning it all depends on having a star QB, esp in today's NFL. See list below.
    Tempting list of returns on such a trade, but no thank you.

Super Bowl I - Bart Starr
    Super Bowl II - Bart Starr
    Super Bowl III - Joe Namath
    Super Bowl IV - Len Dawson
    Super Bowl V - Johnny Unitas
    Super Bowl VI - Roger Staubach
    Super Bowl VII - Bob Griese
    Super Bowl VIII - Bob Griese
    Super Bowl IX - Terry Bradshaw
    Super Bowl X - Terry Bradshaw
    Super Bowl XI - Ken Stabler
    Super Bowl XII - Roger Staubach
    Super Bowl XIII - Terry Bradshaw
    Super Bowl XIV - Terry Bradshaw
    Super Bowl XV - Jim Plunkett
    Super Bowl XVI - Joe Montana
    Super Bowl XVII - Joe Theismann
    Super Bowl XVIII - Jim Plunkett
    Super Bowl XIX - Joe Montana
    Super Bowl XX - Jim McMahon
    Super Bowl XXI - Phil Simms
    Super Bowl XXII - Doug Williams
    Super Bowl XXIII - Joe Montana
    Super Bowl XXIV - Joe Montana
    Super Bowl XXV - Jeff Hostetler
    Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien
    Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman
    Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman
    Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young
    Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman
    Super Bowl XXXI - Brett Favre
    Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway
    Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway
    Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner
    Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer
    Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady
    Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson
    Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady
    Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady
    Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger
    Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning
    Super Bowl XLII - Eli Manning
    Super Bowl XLIII - Ben Roethlisberger
    Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees
    Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers

Rookie

User Info Menu

Matt Barkley is Matt Sanchez part 2

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Trading away a franchise QB who should be entering his prime?

Negative on the trade.
    Hope I'm wrong but I sorta feel his 'prime' is over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Given Ben's age, I think the Steelers would make that deal. I doubt a deal like that happens though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

USC QB?? No thanks.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    Matt Barkley is Matt Sanchez part 2
    Hmmm... why would you think that? Sanchez only started one year. Barkley has started 4.