Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: Ben to Arizona Cardinals trade...would you do this?

  1. #31
    There are 2 types of Steeler fans, there are Steeler fans who feel like the Steelers owe everything to Ben because he is the only reason that the Steeler ever won the 5th or 6th Super Bowl, and they feel we will never win anything again without Ben. Then there are Steeler fans who realize that Ben was our QB on our last 2 Championship teams, and he has been the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, he isn't a top 5 QB, and also realize that he is not the only reason we won, and he has his faults. The people in the first group will never ever agree to trading Ben no matter how great the deal might be for the Steelers, because they feel that the Steelers will never win another championship without Ben, then there are the people in the 2nd group, who realize that although Ben is good they also realize that Ben will continue to be Ben, and because of his prior success he won't push himself outside of his current comfort zone to get better, so if we can get a good return by trading him we would be better off in the next 3-5 years. I am in the second group, and I would pull the trigger onm the deal.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,087
    I don't think anyone thinks that the Steelers will never will another championship without Ben. If that's the case, you might as well close the franchise as soon as he retires.

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    I can think of one playoff game, Denver, and one drive, Superbowl, that Ben put the team on his back and carried the team like an all-time great QB. But most games, including both SB wins, our defense is the reason we won. Over the years there have been glimpses of greatness in games here and there from Ben, but the rock of this team comes from the 11 guys on the other side of the ball. Our offense typically ranks around 20th in the league.
    Pwith that said, with Ben probably having 3 more solid years, if Arizona coughed up something like two 1st round picks, a second and 4th this year and like a 3rd and 5th next year, we would have to heavily consider it.

    The Steelers brass want a run first offense anyway and that's clear. What other top 5 QB do you see around the league who has a crap offensive line, garbage RB's, and the team lets his WR's walk or traded away his entire career. And then when he has an OC he loves, they kick him out the door claiming he is retiring only for him to go make another first year QB look good and parlay that into a HC gig. At this point Ben has to resent the Rooney's.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 01-19-2013 at 11:39 AM.

  4. #34
    Benchwarmer raycafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, Ca.
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    There are 2 types of Steeler fans, there are Steeler fans who feel like the Steelers owe everything to Ben because he is the only reason that the Steeler ever won the 5th or 6th Super Bowl, and they feel we will never win anything again without Ben. Then there are Steeler fans who realize that Ben was our QB on our last 2 Championship teams, and he has been the best QB we have had since Bradshaw, he isn't a top 5 QB, and also realize that he is not the only reason we won, and he has his faults. The people in the first group will never ever agree to trading Ben no matter how great the deal might be for the Steelers, because they feel that the Steelers will never win another championship without Ben, then there are the people in the 2nd group, who realize that although Ben is good they also realize that Ben will continue to be Ben, and because of his prior success he won't push himself outside of his current comfort zone to get better, so if we can get a good return by trading him we would be better off in the next 3-5 years. I am in the second group, and I would pull the trigger onm the deal.
    I agree with what you say here SD. But I don't think the Steeler Organization would not trade him, for he sells tickets. I know they have sold tickets for near 40+ yrs. But in todays environment of economics he sells tickets do to the fact we never really believe their out of a game, if its close late with him at QB. But a trade like this would or could be equal to the Hershal Walker trade of the cowboys and vikes. It would be a interesting scenario as the original post is suggested. Again, its just a thought but a well thought out one, IMHO.

  5. #35
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Steelers have a ten or more year waiting list for season tickets.

  6. #36
    Benchwarmer raycafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Norco, Ca.
    Posts
    69
    I know about the waiting list, but he still brings in dollars.

  7. #37
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    Matt Barkley is Matt Sanchez part 2
    You couldn't be more wrong. Barkley is far better than Sanchez. And he is a 4 years starter with more experience coming into the NFL. And as I said in the initial post, it doesnt have to be Barkley.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Hope I'm wrong but I sorta feel his 'prime' is over.
    No doubt about that. Only ones who would doubt it are lemmings. Ben has built his career on his ability to extend plays with his physical ability, and throw more accurately on the move than most anyone in history. That ability wanes after each passing year. Now that's not to say that he still isn't one of the better QB's in the game, or that he couldn't win another SB with us. But to say he is still in his prime is kind-of delusional.

  9. #39
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No doubt about that. Only ones who would doubt it are lemmings. Ben has built his career on his ability to extend plays with his physical ability, and throw more accurately on the move than most anyone in history. That ability wanes after each passing year. Now that's not to say that he still isn't one of the better QB's in the game, or that he couldn't win another SB with us. But to say he is still in his prime is kind-of delusional.
    I don't even know if he had a peek. He was good year one. They opened the offense after that and he put up good numbers but I feel like he never really grew or matured as a QB.

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Arizona gives up its #1 this year (#6 overall), their second round pick this year (#38 overall), their number 1 next year, and CB Patrick Peterson.

    Arizona and Arians get their QB, they pair Ben with Fitzgerald, then sign Mike Wallace and Max Starks.

    And if you would pull this trigger who do you get to replace Ben at QB? Would it be through this draft? If so who?...and at what pick?

    I personally say..........no! But if they threw in their third round pick this year I may take a hard look at this..........or maybe not.

    Let's see..just for fun

    Steelers get

    CB Patrick Peterson
    OG Chance Warmack #6 overall 2013
    QB Matt Barkley #17 overall 2013
    ILB Kevin Minter #38 overall 2013
    RB Eddie Lacy #48 overall this year

    How does Barkley look to you now with Warmack, Pouncey, and DeCastro inside and a power running game of Eddie Lacy?


    and in 2014? Two number one's could land you Jadaveon Clowney? Who knows??
    No way, not if Barkley becomes our QB. We could mire and spin our wheels for 10-20 years like we did after Bradshaw. I'd love Peterson, no question. But I have zero faith that Barkley is going to be even a decent NFL QB, not to mention a franchise QB. He is Colt McCoy and Matt Leinart rolled into one QB.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •