Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL prospects at East West Shrine game this Saturday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NFL prospects at East West Shrine game this Saturday

There are plenty of mid-to-late round prospects in this weekend's college all-star game.

East squad players to watch

Earl Wolf SS NC State-hard hitter with good size and quickness. Wolf excels at playing downhill (run support, blitzing, and blowing up short passes). He needs to prove he has NFL center-fielder instincts to improve his draft stock.

Geral Hodges LB PSU-This kid should have been invited to the Senior Bowl.

T. J. Johnson OC/OG South Carolina-Tough guy with good size (6'5, 320) and good athleticism.

Zac Stacy RB Vanderbilt

Trey Wilson CB Vanderbilt - A ballhawk with return ability. 4 career pick sixes.

West squad players to watch

Devonte Holloman LB S Carolina - This is one of my favorite players in the draft. Holloman is a converted safety. He is 6'2 241, but still maintains safety-like agility and quickness. He is a very effective blitzer and has the size/speed ratio to match up with athletic TEs in pass coverage. Holloman could be a 3-4 ILB or 4-3 outside linebacker. He could also put on 5 or 10 more pounds and play 3-4 outside linebacker. He has Timmons-like quickness. At times, he lacks discipline and he must improve his play diagnosis quickness. Still, he is so athletic that he played safety (at 240+ pounds) late this year when the secondary had injury issues. Evan at 240+, he looked pretty good out there on the back half. He is probably not as fast as Alec Ogeltree, but he does possess a similar skill set.

Micah Hyde
    CB Iowa

Jasper Collins WR Mt Union

Christine Michael RB Texas A & M- He has NFL starter-quality ability. However, he has not been completely healthy since early in the 2011 season.

Joseph Fauria TE UCLA - huge, smooth athletic basketball-type athlete.

Jahleel Addae SS Central Michigan - Really stood out in their bowl game. Made plays all over the field.

Chad Bumphis WR Mississippi St

These are just a few of the draftable players in this game. There are many others, including several smaller school players. Check it out.
    Last edited by steelblood; 01-17-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    There are plenty of mid-to-late round prospects in this weekend's college all-star game.

East squad players to watch

Earl Wolf SS NC State-hard hitter with good size and quickness. Wolf excels at playing downhill (run support, blitzing, and blowing up short passes). He needs to prove he has NFL center-fielder instincts to improve his draft stock.

Geral Hodges LB PSU-This kid should have been invited to the Senior Bowl.

T. J. Johnson OC/OG South Carolina-Tough guy with good size (6'5, 320) and good athleticism.

Zac Stacy RB Vanderbilt

Trey Wilson CB Vanderbilt - A ballhawk with return ability. 4 career pick sixes.

West squad players to watch

Devonte Holloman LB S Carolina - This is one of my favorite players in the draft. Holloman is a converted safety. He is 6'2 241, but still maintains safety-like agility and quickness. He is a very effective blitzer and has the size/speed ratio to match up with athletic TEs in pass coverage. Holloman could be a 3-4 ILB or 4-3 outside linebacker. He could also put on 5 or 10 more pounds and play 3-4 outside linebacker. He has Timmons-like quickness. At times, he lacks discipline and he must improve his play diagnosis quickness. Still, he is so athletic that he played safety (at 240+ pounds) late this year when the secondary had injury issues. Evan at 240+, he looked pretty good out there on the back half. He is probably not as fast as Alec Ogeltree, but he does possess a similar skill set.

Micah Hyde
    CB Iowa

Arthur Brown ILB Kansas St - If this kid weighed 15 pounds more, he'd probably be going in the first round. As it stands, he is a 225 lb linebacker with great athleticism, instincts, and striking ability.

Jasper Collins WR Mt Union

Christine Michael RB Texas A & M- He has NFL starter-quality ability. However, he has not been completely healthy since early in the 2011 season.

Joseph Fauria TE UCLA - huge, smooth athletic basketball-type athlete.

Jahleel Addae SS Central Michigan - Really stood out in their bowl game. Made plays all over the field.

Chad Bumphis WR Mississippi St

These are just a few of the draftable players in this game. There are many others, including several smaller school players. Check it out.
    You left out three big sleepers.

Mike Catapano DE/OLB Princeton

David Bass DE/OLB Missouri Western

Keith Pough ILB/OLB Howard University (I really Like this guy, He's 6'3 240 lbs. He's got a frame to get bigger. He is a FCS playmaker).

Arthur Brown is not at the Shrine Game. He is playing in the Senior Bowl I believe and he is a 1st or 2nd round prospect.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

Keith Pough ILB/OLB Howard University (I really Like this guy, He's 6'3 240 lbs. He's got a frame to get bigger. He is a FCS playmaker).

Arthur Brown is not at the Shrine Game. He is playing in the Senior Bowl I believe and he is a 1st or 2nd round prospect.
    Right about Brown not at the Shrine. Fixed that.

Look forward to watching all three of those guys. But, I couldn't vouch for them given that I've never seen them. I only listed guys I know.

Sounds like you've seen Pough play. Any other insights?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Right about Brown not at the Shrine. Fixed that.

Look forward to watching all three of those guys. But, I couldn't vouch for them given that I've never seen them. I only listed guys I know.

Sounds like you've seen Pough play. Any other insights?
    Pough was undersized coming out of High School. He only played linebacker his Senior year of HS. He wasn't highly drafted as a result. Because of GPA issues he couldn't play his first year at Howard.

The last three years he has been tearing it up at the FCS level. He would be a developmental prospect, but has the size at 6'3" 240lbs to beef up to 250 and play in the middle.

He has been doing well at the shrine practices.

-The most impressive linebacker again today was Keith Pough from Howard. He has consistently shown thus far this week that he can pick up running backs well in coverage, and has opened up with his hips very well to deep coverage. He’s reacting and bursting in coverage well too. Combine those two skill sets I didn’t know he had with his intense leadership this week, and he may be a team-by-team favorite.
    [URL]http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-shrine-game-west-practice-notes-for-wednesday.html[/URL]
    Pough has impressed with his natural athleticism and fluidity, displaying the coordination and smooth hips to play in space. At 6-2 and 241 pounds, he has a lean, athletic frame and does a nice job playing balanced and low to the ground. Pough has room to improve his instincts and get stronger to improve his stack-and-shed ability, but he has shown improvement throughout the week.

While his physical attributes are noteworthy, Pough has also impressed with his terrific approach to the game of football with his non-stop motor and competitive attitude, showing the same on-field intensity whether it's practice or a game. From a scouting perspective, Pough represents himself like a prospect who gets “it”, tweeting after Wednesday's practice: “To all the rising seniors who will participate in an all star game next year. You make your money during practice.”
    [url]http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/rob-rang/21564049/2013-shrine-game-west-practice-report----wednesday[/url]
    Last edited by BigRob; 01-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Starter

User Info Menu

Tons of info on all these players and everything else draftwise.

A couple of the dozen or so articles from today.

last updated: 01/17/13 *** Eric Galko's recaps the practices at the East-West Shrine Game: [URL="http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-shrine-game-east-roster-stock-up-down-highest-rated-and-starting-rosters.html"]Stock Up/Stock Down, Highest Rated & Starting Lineups[/URL].

USA Today: Ex-Missouri/Tuskegee tailback [URL="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/17/derrick-washington-tuskegee-missouri/1842843/"]Derrick Washington[/URL] talks about time in prison; now hopes to play in N.F.L.
    *** NFP writer breaks down which players helped and hurt their draft stock at [URL="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wednesdays-Afternoon-Review-of-East-West-Shrine-Game-Practices.html"]Wednesday Afternoon's East-West Shrine Game Practices[/URL].
    *** Eric Galko's breaks down Wednesday's practices at the East-West Shrine Game: [URL="http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-shrine-game-east-practice-notes-for-wednesday.html"]East Practice Notes[/URL]; [URL="http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-shrine-game-west-practice-notes-for-wednesday.html"]West Practice Notes[/URL].
    *** Dane Brugler of CBS Sports Shrine Game practice reports for Wednesday: [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/rob-rang/21564049/2013-shrine-game-west-practice-report----wednesday"]West Squad[/URL]
    *** Baylor All-American wide receiver Terrance Williams joins [URL="http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/baylor_wide_receiver_terrance.html"]Big 12's Senior Bowl contingent[/URL]. [Dee Dub should be glad to see this] . I will watch now too.

Wonder if there will e anywhere we can this Eddie Lacy everyone it talking about in any of these post season type games?

It is like the above everyday going back till the 1st of the year. Then there are archives for prior years.

I kind of like the stuff on the smaller school players like those around the Pitt area and ones in Ohio and Michigan like Akron, Saginaw Valley MI, California PA etc. Did we not get Jack Lamber and James Harrison from Akron? or at least some smaller school in Ohio?

If you're a draftnik sort check this site out. It is a supermall of the draft.

from 12/20/12;

DD.com friend Josh Buchanan of buyscouting.com has listed his [URL="http://www.buyscouting.com/pages/2013-NFL-Draft-Small-School-Top-150%252d-Dec-15.html"]Top 150 Small School Prospects[/URL].

the other day:

Luke Joekel is heading to Kansas City, in Gil Brandt's recently posted [URL="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/155116"]One Round Mock Draft[/URL].

[url]http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm[/url]

What's funny about this is, that for 4 or 5 years I will once or twice a year visit this guys regular site to see where he ranks some of the players posters here are high on. Never occurred to me to look at the Blog. Stumbled on it a couple days ago. Makes me want to start watching some college FB so I would have some idea what they are talking about. Oh well, there is always that You Tube.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rob, I love DeAndre Hopkins. Do you advocate taking him at 17? I have not seen him higher than early second round. Mostly mid second round. I believe he's one of the best WR in this draft. Him and Terrance Williams are going to turns some heads at the next level. They aren't considered the top 3 in this draft but I think they are very polished.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Rob, I love DeAndre Hopkins. Do you advocate taking him at 17? I have not seen him higher than early second round. Mostly mid second round. I believe he's one of the best WR in this draft. Him and Terrance Williams are going to turns some heads at the next level. They aren't considered the top 3 in this draft but I think they are very polished.
    I think Deandre Hopkins is Roddy White part deaux. He is undervalued at this point. Once he runs at the combine and tears up the drills, they will go back and take a closer look at his film. He has terrific body control.

I think he will end up being the first WR taken. I like Williams a lot as well in the 2nd.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Deandre Hopkins is Roddy White part deaux. He is undervalued at this point. Once he runs at the combine and tears up the drills, they will go back and take a closer look at his film. He has terrific body control.

I think he will end up being the first WR taken. I like Williams a lot as well in the 2nd.
    I could see that happening. But if that does that means one of these guys then will probably fall to the second...Robert Woods, Cordarrell Patterson, Justin Hunter, Keeenan Allen.

Scouts INC has DeAndre Hopkins ranked as the 36th overall player.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

While we talk WR's- 2 later round guys Chadman is watching a bit of tape on are Josh Boyce out of TCU & Brandon Kaufmann out of Eastern Washington.

Opinions on those guys?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I could see that happening. But if that does that means one of these guys then will probably fall to the second...Robert Woods, Cordarrell Patterson, Justin Hunter, Keeenan Allen.

Scouts INC has DeAndre Hopkins ranked as the 36th overall player.
    I will test my "evaluation skills". I have looked at some of the top WRs on tape. I think that Patterson has a shot at becoming the first WR off the board in the first. That is my assesment on him pre-combine. The word I would use to best describe him is "create". One year of TN to evaluate and a couple of years of JR college but watch him in 2012 and he has the highest ceiling out of all of them as an X. Best comparison as of late I could draw is Dez Bryant...A little more athletically gifted. May not be as physically imposing as him yet but he has that type of ability to "create" as a WR before the ball gets in his hands and after he gets it. If Wallace leaves, which appears will be the outcome, I have him in my mock. After the cupboard gets cleaned of pass rushers & ILB, the Steelers next best option at 1st round impact may be at WR & S. Just need a dance partner. There is a possibilty...By the time the combine & workouts end...It won't be a secret & Patterson may be an option @ #17.