Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this The Time For The Steelers to Consider Moving To 4-3 Cover 2 team ?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I read the article...I think it's from back in October...

The Steelers did practice the 4-3...that in and of itself is interesting...

LeBeau has changed his defense from the 3-4 to the 4-3 before, when he was in Cincinnati...it was dictated by the talent available...

[url]http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-67849481.html[/url]
    Also (from the NY Times Fifth Down Blog):

Zone blitz concepts can be run from a 4-3 front as well, if you’ve got the athletes to do it. Capers used the zone blitz in a 4-3 in Jacksonville, but had the luxury of players like Tony Brackens and Bryce Paup off the edge.
    Carnell Lake played for that Jacksonville team...

Now, I don't necessarily believe that the defense will change...but, I am saying that LeBeau would be willing to adjust to the talent...
    Last edited by Slapstick; 01-18-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    1) Dick LeBeau is coming back next year. He prefers the 3-4...

2) The defense was #1 in yards and, more importantly, #6 in scoring defense...

Despite what you may read in some people's posts, things are not broken, so they don't require fixing...

Now, after LeBeau leaves? Then, Tomlin and the DC (whether Butler or someone else) can run whatever defense they want...
    do they keep a stat of blown leads and last minute drive success?

Peyton manning is awesome for stats - except when it's crunch time in the playoffs. Over the last few years our defense has mellowed into something that's built on scheme and not overpowering physical. do we control the line of scrimmage anymore? how are our sacks and turnovers? those are things that go beyond the stats and tell the true story of how dominating a defense is. I don't care if our defense only allows 7 points a game. if it's the last drive of the game they give it up on so we lose 7-6 it's a failure in my book. we lost more than a handful of games this year by less than one score that was achieved in the last minute. if only they had been #5 in scoring defense we probably would have made the playoffs!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

ask Ovi.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I read the article...I think it's from back in October...

The Steelers did practice the 4-3...that in and of itself is interesting...

LeBeau has changed his defense from the 3-4 to the 4-3 before, when he was in Cincinnati...it was dictated by the talent available...

Also (from the NY Times Fifth Down Blog):

Carnell Lake played for that Jacksonville team...

Now, I don't necessarily believe that the defense will change...but, I am saying that LeBeau would be willing to adjust to the talent...
    Thats what I 'm saying, most likely he won't change it but we could morph into a 4-3, its not like they haven't practiced it due to injuries.
    Looking back on the 2012 season if there was one paticular positions that underperformed on defense it was our OLB's. Harrison our best OLB when healthy might not be here next season unless they work out some deal with him.
    Is Woodley going to regain his former high level play?

We had our lowest amount of sacks the last few years, and QB pressures, so that tells me the LB play declined as opposed to years past. Not just that, but I think the talent on our D-line is better suited to play in a 4-3, IMHO.
    The players think they can do it, but Lamar prefers the 3-4 but also said it can be done, so it will be up to LeBeau. Do we still have the pieces to retain the 3-4 or is a change a possibility due to the talent we have.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think it has less to do with scheme and more to do with our players not winning their 1-on-1 matchups.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think it has less to do with scheme and more to do with our players not winning their 1-on-1 matchups.
    Absolutely.

Whether a 3-4 or a 4-3, Woodley will be coming off the edge. He needs to win. His complete disappearing act this year was a major source of the Steelers problems.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How are you guys so sure Lebeau is back? Cause he said he wanted to come back? Arians said much of the same, and Tomlin said he would be back as well only to go a different route later.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tired of players finally becoming full time starters/ performing well in their contract year, only to leave in free agency.

Legend

User Info Menu

4-3, 3-4 or 5-2 it really doesn't matter as Steelz09 mentioned the players need to win a 1 vs 1 battle to make any of those schemes work on the front 7. If the NT is getting pushed around the team will run, if the edge rushers are getting pushed behind the quarterback and a good pocket is there he'll step up and complete passes, it's when the defense wins a battle at LOS that they are successful.

I don't really care what formation they play, they need to win some individual battles and there wasn't a whole lot of that until the end of the season.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Absolutely.

Whether a 3-4 or a 4-3, Woodley will be coming off the edge. He needs to win. His complete disappearing act this year was a major source of the Steelers problems.

I can agree with that, its been going on for two years now. Look at the sack totals the last few years....the lowest amount in years. Is this an indication of decline of our OLB play? Or is it a combination of scheme and underperformance.
    When Aaron Smith was healthy and a younger Casey Hampton, Keisel, the front seven was damn good. we don't have the same production up front so that might be part of the problem why the LB's play dropped.

McClendon Kiesel DE's Hood and Fangupo/Ta'amu DT's, I wonder if that would be better. I still think Hood, Heyward, and Mclendon are better suited to play in a 4-3, could be wrong but we'll never know.