Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You still want this fraud?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You still want this fraud?

[url]http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/17/16564736-9-baffling-questions-in-the-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax?lite[/url]

His story is all over the place. Dad claimed they met, that he visited her in HI. Then Te'o says it was all a hoax and she never existed. Huh? He never saw her in person or on line, but he loved her? ND says they believe his story 100% after an investigation. She supposed almost died in a car crash but he didn't visit her. She supposedly got cancer, and he didn't visit her. She supposedly died and he didn't go to her funeral. But he loved her. OK, there.

Who still wants Pgh to draft this guy in the 1st round?

And he refused to play in Sr Bowl, as someone else noted.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sounds a bit naive to me...

If he knew and he "played this game" for media attention and that is truly pathetic and I wouldn't want to draft him.

If he honestly didn't know that this was a hoax, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #17 even though I was HIGHLY critical of his play against Alabama.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Sounds a bit naive to me...

If he knew and he "played this game" for media attention and that is truly pathetic and I wouldn't want to draft him.

If he honestly didn't know that this was a hoax, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him at #17 even though I was HIGHLY critical of his play against Alabama.
    The naivete does not surprise me...

I knew kids in college who grew up on the Virgin Islands and they were very, very sheltered...throw in a strict mormon upbringing, and...

Legend

User Info Menu

but people who do this don't tell NBC, SI, ESPN and anyone who asked how great this chick is... and if he is that naive who the hell would want him on their team? Instead of gearing up for Alabama and the Senior Bowl he was online chatting with his bro-love.

People who have online loves don't talk like they are in love with this great person and then circle back to not meeting them and those who do are batsh!t crazy

..and one more thing. I've heard so many people saying this story put him in the Heisman race and some are saying they wouldn't have voted for him if it wasn't for this story. So is this kid really that good or was it another Brady Quinn ND love fest?

It's a shame that other LB's with no tragedy or real tragedies were ignored or glossed over for awards because of an off the field fantasy.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think naivete is the likely explanation - it wouldn't explain why he wouldn't make at least a quick visit to his sick girlfriend as she lay dying of cancer? Hitting the playbook too hard to take time off? Did he ask his coach for permission to leave campus for a quick visit?

I think intentional deception on his part is more likely, based on what I've heard/read to date. If I were GM, I wouldn't go near him unless a satisfactory alternative explanation is confirmed.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

It could be naive i the beginning or his friend playing a little joke that got out of hand... but here is the thing I don't get. How does it go from love of my life, I can't describe her (well, that makes sense)... she is perfect, blah blah... on and on but once exposed it's "I never met her"

Looking at the interviews now he was pretty robotic but at the time you think it's shock.. but he kept it up and even talked about her in December AFTER going to ND to tell them he was tricked.

This is so freaking crazy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I don't think naivete is the likely explanation - it wouldn't explain why he wouldn't make at least a quick visit to his sick girlfriend as she lay dying of cancer? Hitting the playbook too hard to take time off? Did he ask his coach for permission to leave campus for a quick visit?

I think intentional deception on his part is more likely, based on what I've heard/read to date. If I were GM, I wouldn't go near him unless a satisfactory alternative explanation is confirmed.
    Thank you SASF. I think, if you just look into it on a cursory fashion, it becomes obvious that the only hoax here is the one he is trying to sell the media and public about a fake girl. His dad already said that Te'o and this girl met twice. Obviously, that is not true. And then ND sent in a private investigative team....and they conclusively determined Te'o had been hoaxed.....me think the lady doth protest too much.

The real question is why would this kid feel the need to invent such a story? I don't think it was for the Heisman; I think it is for hiding another thing all together.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many T'eo threads do we really need?
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Story does sound like something from the twilight-zone, for sure... I would still draft Te'o in a heartbeat if he is the BPA.. I love this kid's tenacity and intensity. As bad as we need a playmaker on defense to light a fire under this team? Call me naive, but I still think this is a good, wholesome kid, who like many college-aged kids, just got caught up in some mess! I think I'd rather deal with this issue, rather than some jail-bird, substance abuser, type.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What's the most glaring need on this team? Defense? As the #1 D in the league? Or, how about the 26th rated rushing attack? We don't need a MLB as much as we need players to boost our pathetic rushing game, whether it be in better RBs or O linemen.