Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow per the PG, Colbert does not rule out drafting a QB in the first round.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wow per the PG, Colbert does not rule out drafting a QB in the first round.

I can't see it happening

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddjammin View Post
    I can't see it happening
    Thats what Packer fans said in 2005. If the QB is the BPA on their board, they will consider it.

Highly unlikely, but you have to start considering it with Ben's injury history and refusal to change the way he plays (His playing style is what makes him great).

Ben is becoming more and more like Steve Mcnair. I expect Ben to have a fantastic season, but the injuries are starting to catch up to him.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Before Ben was hurt this year, I dont think most of us questioned him. At some point they will need to draft a Qb that they view as a future starter. I doubt that it will be this year, at least not a first rounder. Ben's injuries are concerning. They seem to be getting worse every year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That;s just draft speak. Usually, they will rule out a QB in round 1 and say so publicly- like last year.. However, with no QB's worthy of a selection at #17, (or for all of round 1) why not say it?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Starter

User Info Menu

Media to Colbert "Would you consider drafting a QB in the first round?"

Colbert to Media "I wouldnt rule anything out."

Media to Public "Steelers may draft QB in round 1!!!!!!!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers don't rule out drafting quarterback early

By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Jan. 17, 2013

Ben Roethlisberger has been a fixture under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers dating back to 2004, but is the team beginning to think ahead?

Coming off a disappointing 8-8 campaign, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday the team could see a major roster shakeup in the offseason.

Colbert's most surprising revelation came at quarterback, where Pittsburgh is open to drafting a passer in the first round for the first time in almost a decade.

"We won't close the door on any position in any round," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

It's notable because the Steelers have publicly swatted down the concept of drafting a quarterback in the early rounds ever since Big Ben was chosen 11th overall in 2004. The team has mainly relied on old-as-trees veterans at the position. Roethlisberger has been durable -- and certainly productive -- enough to allow that.

The 30-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner started 13 games this season, but battled through painful injuries for the second year in a row. Roethlisberger still played at an MVP level for stretches, and Pittsburgh isn't about to uproot him for another, but the team is acknowledging that even their sturdy situation under center can't last forever.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127620/article/steelers-dont-rule-out-drafting-quarterback-early[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Rather than draft another QB in case Ben gets hurt, I'd put the $$ into drafting an O line to KEEP Ben from getting hurt.

I know, stupid stupid, I'll never be tapped to be GM w/ ideas like that.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Welcome to Pittsburgh Matt Barkley!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Rather than draft another QB in case Ben gets hurt, I'd put the $$ into drafting an O line to KEEP Ben from getting hurt.

I know, stupid stupid, I'll never be tapped to be GM w/ ideas like that.
    The fact is that no matter how good the OL is, a QB can be hurt and hurt badly. See Tom Brady in that regard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    Media to Colbert "Would you consider drafting a QB in the first round?"

Colbert to Media "I wouldnt rule anything out."

Media to Public "Steelers may draft QB in round 1!!!!!!!"
    Yeah, I think this is just a bit overblown to attract some attention in the offseason. I could see the Steelers drafting a backup / developmental QB early if the right guy is available, but would be very surprised if they did so in the first round.