Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Here is the article about Wallace vs Brown. Did the Steelers overreact?

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I agree, remember when Hines was going to hold out but came to camp? By coming to camp he had a better shot of getting a deal done and he did get a nice deal. Wallace was afraid of getting injured while not having the big contract in place yet I guess, but this is all on him.
    He had the opportunity and blew it, the Steelers don't cave in when are these players going to learn that.
    Wallace didn't blow anything by himself. Maybe the Steelers blew it too because they didn't offer Wallace enough up front money? It's not all on Wallace. If only we knew what the Steelers offered Wallace. If they offered Wallace the same deal as Brown I can understand why Wallace wanted a deal with more upfront money. As a result not getting a deal done, the Steelers will probably lose their most explosive play maker.

    Players can care less if and when the Steelers decide to cave. There are 31 other teams in the league that can pay them.

  2. #32
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,571
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Wallace didn't blow anything by himself. Maybe the Steelers blew it too because they didn't offer Wallace enough up front money? It's not all on Wallace. If only we knew what the Steelers offered Wallace. If they offered Wallace the same deal as Brown I can understand why Wallace wanted a deal with more upfront money. As a result not getting a deal done, the Steelers will probably lose their most explosive play maker.

    Players can care less if and when the Steelers decide to cave. There are 31 other teams in the league that can pay them.
    I think the Steelers' front office and coaches are far less worried about losing Wallace than his fans are. If they really cared they would find a way to make it work but they won't make that extra effort for a player who doesn't seem to care about being here. I think they understand that Wallace has many flaws as a WR and one strength...his speed. One injury and that speed could be gone which is logically why the Steelers balked at a whole lot of upfront money. If Wallace "loses a step" its not like he has other WR strengths he can rely on if he would ever have to do anything except run "go routes"
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #33
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    And we still argue Wallace vs Brown, and not the point of the article which is that the Steelers over-reacted to Wallace rejecting their contract offer.

    Brown, regardless of being an inferior or superior WR to Mike Wallace, was scheduled to be a RFA in 2013.

    Restricted Free Agent.

    If the Steelers had decided to offer Brown the highest tender- they'd have him under contract in 2013 for $2.879m. And if another team wanted him, they'd have to pony up a 1st round pick to get him. They could sign Sanders to his original round tender amount & pay him $1.323m. That's both WR's signed for a tick under $3.2m in 2013.

    But the Steelers didn't do that, did they? They extended Brown to a $42m contract 2 days after Wallace rejected them. The result is that Antonio Brown will cost the Steelers $6.2m against the cap on his own in 2013. That doesn't include Sanders.

    And the Steelers are near $20m over the cap as it is.

    It was a BAD business decision, regardless of which WR is superior.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  4. #34
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,575
    If they offered Wallace the same deal as Brown I can understand why Wallace wanted a deal with more upfront money. As a result not getting a deal done, the Steelers will probably lose their most explosive play maker.
    Without trying to rehash the whole Wallace/Brown argument- this is the sticking point for Chadman. It's been reported quite a few times now that the money offered to Brown was very similar to the money the Steelers had previously offered to Wallace.

    At the time of the contract offer (Slapstick- before you go apopleptic, just remember that the contract was offered prior to 2012, not after- so last season's stats are irrelevant) Wallace had 3 very good years production on his resume. And while we all want to argue the "Top 10 Money" thing- stats will show that Wallace's agent had a point. Yes- the 2nd half of 2011 showed a significant dip in Wallace's production- won't argue that, and there could be several reasons for that which, for the sake of human sanity, we won't go back over.

    Now, conversely, at the time of the contract offer, Antonio Brown had 1 year's worth of good prodution as a returner, and half a year's production as a WR.

    If the value of the contract offer is a reward for previous achievement- how is it possibly fair that Wallace & Brown get offered similar money based on production? Wallace was far superior over the course of his career, and deserved a higher rate of pay than Brown. Brown got overpaid by an organisation more intent on making a point about contract holdouts, instead of smart business decisions.

    In the end- Wallace is as good as gone now, and will be paid by someone else. Will he be as successful elsewhere? Who knows? But the Steelers, Chadman is sure, will be hoping to get more than sub-800 yards recieving for their $6.2m cap hit in 2013. Problem is, there is no historical evidence supporting this happening in Brown's career.

    Here's hoping the Steelers got it right.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  5. #35
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,571
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Without trying to rehash the whole Wallace/Brown argument- this is the sticking point for Chadman. It's been reported quite a few times now that the money offered to Brown was very similar to the money the Steelers had previously offered to Wallace.

    At the time of the contract offer (Slapstick- before you go apopleptic, just remember that the contract was offered prior to 2012, not after- so last season's stats are irrelevant) Wallace had 3 very good years production on his resume. And while we all want to argue the "Top 10 Money" thing- stats will show that Wallace's agent had a point. Yes- the 2nd half of 2011 showed a significant dip in Wallace's production- won't argue that, and there could be several reasons for that which, for the sake of human sanity, we won't go back over.

    Now, conversely, at the time of the contract offer, Antonio Brown had 1 year's worth of good prodution as a returner, and half a year's production as a WR.

    If the value of the contract offer is a reward for previous achievement- how is it possibly fair that Wallace & Brown get offered similar money based on production? Wallace was far superior over the course of his career, and deserved a higher rate of pay than Brown. Brown got overpaid by an organisation more intent on making a point about contract holdouts, instead of smart business decisions.

    In the end- Wallace is as good as gone now, and will be paid by someone else. Will he be as successful elsewhere? Who knows? But the Steelers, Chadman is sure, will be hoping to get more than sub-800 yards recieving for their $6.2m cap hit in 2013. Problem is, there is no historical evidence supporting this happening in Brown's career.

    Here's hoping the Steelers got it right.
    I think that you are narrowing the definition somewhat saying that "the value of the contract offer is a reward for previous achievement." It is a combination of both past production and the team's projection of that players future value to the team. To ignore that you think a player has a bigger upside is never part of the equation. IMO that is what happened with Wallace and Brown. The team saw that Brown potentially had a bigger upside than Wallace. Tomlin tried to make it a joke but he call Wallace a "one trick pony" for a very good reason.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #36
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think the Steelers' front office and coaches are far less worried about losing Wallace than his fans are. If they really cared they would find a way to make it work but they won't make that extra effort for a player who doesn't seem to care about being here. I think they understand that Wallace has many flaws as a WR and one strength...his speed. One injury and that speed could be gone which is logically why the Steelers balked at a whole lot of upfront money. If Wallace "loses a step" its not like he has other WR strengths he can rely on if he would ever have to do anything except run "go routes"
    No point in worrying about who the team will lose. The team will move on and so will the player. It is what it is. Wallace probably wanted to be here but at the right price. I can't blame him for wanting a better deal the the one Brown received. Whether that deal was more upfront money or something else is still to be determined. I don't know the many flaws that you speak of in regard to Wallace? Wallace has improved as a route runner. He is still young enough to improve his overall game. At this point, Wallace has proven that he can produce and play at a high level. Even if Wallaces loses a step he will be faster then many of the WR's and DB's in the league. Wallace can run other routes besides go routes. However, the attention he draws and big play ability on go routes is where he will make his money.

    One injury to any player can reduce that player's effectiveness and value. It's probably one reason why Wallace wanted more upfront money. I can't blame him. It's a smart business decision to get as much money as he can in his prime.

  7. #37
    I look at it this way Chadman. Brown got paid a bonus for 1k and 1k. He was the first to do it. Jersey's in the HOF. He made 2 BIG game saving catches I think. The football pinned to his helmet was sweet. And I think there was another. It was Browns clutch play and Wallace being greedy and not stepping up in the superbowl loss. Wallace is not clutch. Ward and Holmes were clutch also.

  8. #38
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Thinking a big receiver will solve our issues at WR is questionable.
    Its not like our receivers can't be successful because they are shorter, or not physical, just look at Wallace and Browns numbers in 2011.
    Go To Top Player Rec Yds Yds/Rec Long TD
    Mike Wallace 72 1193 16.6 95 8
    Antonio Brown 69 1108 16.1 79 2
    Heath Miller 51 631 12.4 39 2
    Hines Ward 46 381 8.3 31 2
    Emmanuel Sanders 22 288 13.1 32 2
    Rashard Mendenhall 18 154 8.6 35 0
    Isaac Redman 18 78 4.3 12 0
    Jerricho Cotchery 16 237 14.8 36 2
    David Johnson 12 91 7.6 25 1
    Mewelde Moore 11 104 9.5 24 1
    Weslye Saunders 4 29 7.3 14 1
    Ryan Mundy 1 33 33.0 33 0
    Jonathan Dwyer 1 6 6.0 6 0




    2012 NUMBERS


    Mike Wallace 64 119 836 13.1 8 82 9 55.7 2 1 276 33
    Heath Miller 71 101 816 11.5 8 43 11 54.4 0 0 351 44
    Antonio Brown 66 105 787 11.9 5 60 10 60.5 2 1 319 43
    Emmanuel Sanders 44 74 626 14.2 1 37 11 39.1 2 2 195 31
    Isaac Redman 19 23 244 12.8 0 55 2 17.4 1 1 175 10
    Jerricho Cotchery 17 27 205 12.1 0 24 4 14.6 0 0 36 12
    Will Johnson 15 26 137 9.1 1 26 2 8.6 0 0 67 8
    Jonathan Dwyer 18 25 106 5.9 0 15 0 8.2 0 0 101 7
    Rashard Mendenhall 9 11 62 6.9 1 15 0 10.3 0 0 97 5
    Chris Rainey 14 22 60 4.3 0 14 0 3.8 3 1 88 1
    David Paulson 7 10 51 7.3 0 9 0 3.2 1 0 25 0
    Plaxico Burress 3 7 42 14.0 1 18 0 10.5 0 0 3 3
    Baron Batch 4 5 31 7.8 0 15 0 2.6 0 0 34 3
    Leonard Pope 3 4 9 3.0 2 7 0 0.6 0 0 8 2
    Totals 354 574 4012 11.3 27 82 49 250.8 12 7 1775 202
    Opponents 299 523 3159 10.6 19 71 31 197.4 5 3 1167 169


    Miller and Sanders yrds. went up in 2012 while Wallace and Brown went down but overall they aren't that far apart, the passes were distributed more evenly in 201 than in 2011.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •