Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here is the article about Wallace vs Brown. Did the Steelers overreact?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Are you saying that Brown's production was better than Wallace's or the other way around? The numbers bear that Wallace outproduced Brown this year, so that would make sense if that's what you're saying.
    I'm saying that, on a game-by-game basis, the numbers were comparable...

Brown - 5 receptions per game - 60.5 yards per game - .4 TD per game

Wallace - 4.2 receptions per game - 55.7 yards per game - .5 TD per game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I'm saying that, on a game-by-game basis, the numbers were comparable...

Brown - 5 receptions per game - 60.5 yards per game - .4 TD per game

Wallace - 4.2 receptions per game - 55.7 yards per game - .5 TD per game
    Add in Brown's 182 return yards (not counting at least another 100+ called back because of penalties) and the Steelers clearly are keeping the more complete player. For all his blazing speed it amazes me that Wallace can't return kicks. Just another hole in his skillset.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Add in Brown's 182 return yards (not counting at least another 100+ called back because of penalties) and the Steelers clearly are keeping the more complete player. For all his blazing speed it amazes me that Wallace can't return kicks. Just another hole in his skillset.
    He can barely catch a football (I kid but if it isn't in his basket it's 50/50) so why have him back their to double catch punts?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    He can barely catch a football (I kid but if it isn't in his basket it's 50/50) so why have him back their to double catch punts?
    I was thinking it was being a little "gunshy" about getting hit hard!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Guys with more pure straight line speed (Wallace) make better kickoff returners (they have an opportunity to get up to full speed before defenders get to them), while guys with more quick-twitch jitterbug type moves (Brown) make better punt returners (they often have to try to make a defender miss with a quick move right away).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So, after Wallace said "No, thank you," to the Steelers, it would have been better to have 1 UFA (Wallace) and 2 RFAs (Brown and Sanders)? And if Brown and Sanders had pulled a Mike, refusing to sign their offers and not showing up for camp, where would the Steelers be?
    The same place they are with the RB's- Mendy FA, Redman/Dwyer RFA's. Nobody thinks that was a problem..

Chadman's argument is not about the quality of Brown vs Wallace in this (has been in other threads, but letting that go). This is simple maths- the Steelers didnt need to extend Brown last season, and if they hadn't, they'd be able to put Brown & Sanders on the field for a 3rd of what Brown will cost against the cap this year. The money saved ($2-$3m) could have been used to bring back Max Starks, or Keenan Lewis..

If both Brown & Sanders had held out from Camp, then maybe the Steelers would have to evaluate how they go about negotiating contracts.

In fact- given the way the FO has dealt with a few contracts in the last 3 years- that might not be a bad thing to do, regardless.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

they considered them 1 and 1a... when one didn't want to sign, they said, "cool, we'll take that contract to the other guy." Truth be told, with Arians out of the picture, Wallace isn't nearly the WR he was in years past... can you say Dink and Dunk...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Rookie

User Info Menu

Brown signed and Walllace chos to hold out t was his decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    Brown signed and Walllace chos to hold out t was his decision.
    $$$$. Wallace is the one making the decisions. Nothing was "done to him." He chose to say no and risk going somewhere else. His decision. The Front Office did not do anything to him except offer him the opportunity to be a very rich man.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$. Wallace is the one making the decisions. Nothing was "done to him." He chose to say no and risk going somewhere else. His decision. The Front Office did not do anything to him except offer him the opportunity to be a very rich man.

I agree, remember when Hines was going to hold out but came to camp? By coming to camp he had a better shot of getting a deal done and he did get a nice deal. Wallace was afraid of getting injured while not having the big contract in place yet I guess, but this is all on him.
    He had the opportunity and blew it, the Steelers don't cave in when are these players going to learn that.