Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NFL Draft: Steelers Draft Prospects by Position - Safety

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That is not what they said yesterday. And for what ever reason he waited till 3 days before the Senior Bowl week to inform he wasn't coming. Not good.
    I wonder who is agent is. He's not a first round lock. He must be getting bad advice from whoever it is representing him.

By the way, Bacarri Rambo has looked atrocious at the Senior Bowl. I know better than to go just based on all star games, but scouts are going to scrutinize him even more.

Maybe it is just a lack of preparation for this week, but I bet he doesn't get selected before the 4th round. The safeties are just too deep of a class this year. If he runs out of this world, it will pick his stock back up.
    Last edited by BigRob; 01-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    2013 Senior Bowl: Monday Risers-Fallers

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst
    January 22, 2013

While one practice won't change a player's evaluation, every action a prospect makes during Senior Bowl week will be under a microscope.

RISERS

SS Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International

In a talented safety group, Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien stood out on Monday with his aggressive playing style and active demeanor. He practiced at full speed and left it all out on the field, not shying away from getting physical. Whether it was a contact drill or not, Cyprien is going to meet the ballcarrier with a pop, refusing to let up. With Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) and D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina) deciding to skip Mobile, Cyprien has a chance to emerge as the top safety at this year's Senior Bowl.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21595095/2013-senior-bowl-monday-risers-fallers[/URL]
    Started a post about this guy yesterday. I don't get Sun Belt games, but apparently this guy brings the heat every game.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I wonder who is agent is. He's not a first round lock. He must be getting bad advice from whoever it is representing him.

By the way, Bacarri Rambo has looked atrocious at the Senior Bowl. I know better than to go just based on all star games, but scouts are going to scrutinize him even more.

Maybe it is just a lack of preparation for this week, but I bet he doesn't get selected before the 4th round. The safeties are just too deep of a class this year. If he runs out of this world, it will pick his stock back up.
    I knew you would say this...but you are forgetting safeties going one on one with WR's (as we see in these Senior Bowl drills), is usually a fail. That is why they are not corners. I am not worried about how he stacks up versus a WR in one on one coverage. He will hardly ever be asked to do that. What he excels at is playing center field and playing the QB and ball. That is a true test of a free safety. And with 16 career INT's and 34 PD's we see he is very good at that.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I knew you would say this...but you are forgetting safeties going one on one with WR's (as we see in these Senior Bowl drills), is usually a fail. That is why they are not corners. I am not worried about how he stacks up versus a WR in one on one coverage. He will hardly ever be asked to do that. What he excels at is playing center field and playing the QB and ball. That is a true test of a free safety. And with 16 career INT's and 34 PD's we see he is very good at that.

I wouldn't touch him before the 4th rd. His running mate Williams looks like a 6th rounder. His draft stock is going to hinge on how he runs, and I bet it isn't going to be real fast.

And to be real, he has looked just as bad in team drills and 11 on 11 in practice as he has individually. They aren't just doing one on one drills in practice.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The best free safety in this draft. He is big hitter and goes for the knock out a lot so on occasion yes he can miss a tackle here or there, however....

16 INT's, 34 PD's, and 6 FF's over his college career tells you about his cover skills as well as where he is in regards to where the ball is.

But as mention his mistake may take him off the Steelers board.
    If he falls to the 4th grab him. I really don't like with Vacarro that they say, "He isn't an elite ball hawk." For a team lacking in pics, we can't afford a high pick on a guy who isn't an elite ball hawk. We need him to be, desperately.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm all for BPA, but I gotta say: I HATE the idea of taking a Safety with our first pick. Unless there is a Polamalu/Ed Reed type instinctive guru available, I totally don't like the idea. Safety is a position where you can easily fill with a former Corner. Second, most Safeties I tend to remember who were drafted in the 1st round were disappointments.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm all for BPA, but I gotta say: I HATE the idea of taking a Safety with our first pick. Unless there is a Polamalu/Ed Reed type instinctive guru available, I totally don't like the idea. Safety is a position where you can easily fill with a former Corner. Second, most Safeties I tend to remember who were drafted in the 1st round were disappointments.
    I'm not crazy about it myself. I'd say there are entire draft classes without safeties worth taking in the 1st round. Reed and Polamalu are the exceptions to the rule.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Started a post about this guy yesterday. I don't get Sun Belt games, but apparently this guy brings the heat every game.
    Just saw him talking to Mike Tomlin on the sidelines at the Senior Bowl practice. Interesting.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Oklahoma football: Online report raises questions about NFL-bound Tony Jefferson

According to a controversial tidbit in a WalterFootball.com draft scouting report, OU coaches have told NFL scouts that Tony Jefferson had “horrible practice habits and a lack of work ethic in the weight room.”

By Jason Kersey | Published: January 23, 2013

Tony Jefferson (1) speaks to the press at a media availability for the University of Oklahoma Sooner (OU) football team following practice on Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2012 in Norman, Okla. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman

NORMAN — Oklahoma football enters another offseason clouded by questions stemming from a second straight season largely defined by subpar defense.

The blame has fallen on two coordinators — first Brent Venables, then Mike Stoops — lacking talent on the defensive line, too much schematic tinkering and a conference filled with fantastic quarterbacks directing spread offenses.

But one online report raised questions about the second-team All-America safety, considered one of Oklahoma's defensive leaders the past two seasons.

According to a controversial tidbit in a WalterFootball.com draft scouting report, OU coaches have told NFL scouts that former safety Tony Jefferson — who chose to skip his senior season and enter April's NFL Draft — had “horrible practice habits and a lack of work ethic in the weight room.”

A spokeswoman for Octagon Football, which represents Jefferson, declined The Oklahoman's request Wednesday for an interview.

Jefferson, though, unleashed a barrage of tweets Tuesday in response to the report.

“Also y'all be careful who y'all let pat you on the back,” read the final part of Jefferson's several- tweet response. “They could be patting you on ur back to find a soft spot, just to stab you in it!”

In response to an OU fan on Twitter, Jefferson said, “been a leader in the weightroom since I got there.”

To another Twitter user, he said, “Coaches hate me man. It's all good tho.”

Sooner coaches never once specifically criticized Jefferson's work ethic or commitment; to the contrary, Mike Stoops often praised Jefferson for playing most of last season on a badly sprained ankle.

For much of his sophomore season, Jefferson played with a sprained knee.

ESPN.com ranks Jefferson as the fifth-best safety prospect available in the 2013 draft.

Last week on a conference call with reporters, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., said he expects Jefferson to be a second-round pick.

“I like the way he plays the game,” Kiper said. “He's got real good awareness. Real good instincts for the position. He's been a playmaker his whole career.”

[URL]http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-online-report-raises-questions-about-nfl-bound-tony-jefferson/article/3748453[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I like Vaccaro the most out of all of them, with rainey and his recent issues I think if a prospect has any off field issue they won't consider that player. Rainey had them and they won't get burnt again.
    Vaccaro is good in man coverage on TEs and most WRs. He is physical and very athletic. That is impressive. What I don't understand is that scouts seem to overlook that he is a very spotty tackler and regularly whiffs (like most of the Texas defense). Also, and this is difficult to tell on TV, it seems like he does not have elite instincts/centerfielder skills when working the back half. He is often slow to react imho.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.