Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft has the Steelers taking...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587

    Mel Kiper's Mock Draft has the Steelers taking...

    17-Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU 6 ft 6 272

    Analysis: If you could hand an exceptional physical talent with an extraordinarily high ceiling but plenty of development required to one defensive coordinator, whom would you choose ahead of Dick LeBeau? Ansah is a big-time athletic talent, a guy who at 270-plus pounds has the burst and top-end speed of a track star. He'll get comparisons to a player such as
    Jason Pierre-Paul between now and April, because his potential to be a star is there, but he needs coaching. The Steelers must get younger on defense, and Ansah makes sense given their track record of development.

    Chance Warmack goes 7th overall to Arizona and Manti Te'o goes 8th to Buffalo.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  2. #2
    I strongly doubt that a guard and an inside backer go in the top 10...

    Not that they aren't the best players, but teams just do not pick that way...

  3. #3
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I strongly doubt that a guard and an inside backer go in the top 10...

    Not that they aren't the best players, but teams just do not pick that way...
    True, but we are talking about the Cardinals and Bills here.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    True, but we are talking about the Cardinals and Bills here.
    Carolina took Kuechly at 9 last year.... but yea, G & ILB are exception picks.

  5. #5
    All pre-combine, but from the mocks I've seen, it looks like there are going to be some pass rushing options available for the Steelers. I would hate to see the Steelers use a first round pick on a WR, but there also should be some options if they go that route, either at 17 or if they are able to drop back.

  6. #6
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,914
    Although it would be weird having two guys named Ziggy on the same defense, I could see the Steeler brass drooling over the possibilities with this kid. With such natural ability, and so little experience playing the game (plus strong character as well), it seems like he would have limitless potential.

  7. #7
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,304
    Walter Football has him at 1.9
    Gil Brandt has him at 1.12

    After that he's anywhere from 1.19 to 1.28 in many mock drafts.

    It seems he would fill an immediate need as a pass rushing specialist on 3rd down for the Steelers and would need to learn a bit about run defense. I'm not sure that D1ck Lebeau would replace Woodley or Harrison on 3rd down for a rookie. He sounds like a freak, but it's unlikely he has any impact on the Steelers in the upcoming year.

    One of these guys Jonathan Hankins, Chance Warmack, John Jenkins, Cordarrelle Patterson or Jesse Williams should be available at 1.17 and could potentially have an immediate impact at a position (NT, WR, LG) of need in the upcoming year.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,731
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Walter Football has him at 1.9
    Gil Brandt has him at 1.12

    After that he's anywhere from 1.19 to 1.28 in many mock drafts.

    It seems he would fill an immediate need as a pass rushing specialist on 3rd down for the Steelers and would need to learn a bit about run defense. I'm not sure that D1ck Lebeau would replace Woodley or Harrison on 3rd down for a rookie. He sounds like a freak, but it's unlikely he has any impact on the Steelers in the upcoming year.

    One of these guys Jonathan Hankins, Chance Warmack, John Jenkins, Cordarrelle Patterson or Jesse Williams should be available at 1.17 and could potentially have an immediate impact at a position (NT, WR, LG) of need in the upcoming year.

    Pappy
    If you have to bring in a "specialist" to rush the QB on third down aren't we acknowledging Harrsion is done and Woodley is a "bust?" If that is the case why waste the huge salary hits.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #9
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If you have to bring in a "specialist" to rush the QB on third down aren't we acknowledging Harrsion is done and Woodley is a "bust?" If that is the case why waste the huge salary hits.
    That's why I included the part about, "I'm not sure DL would bring in a rookie over Woodley or Harrison." I'm fairly certain Harrison is still good to go, he was making plays and applying pressure late in the year. Woodley, I'm hoping had lingering effects from the hamstring and other assorted ailments and was never able to get close 100%.

    Harrison is probably going to be cut, I can't see them eating his salary this year. Hopefully, it's a cut and resign at a significantly lower number and his agent and the Steelers are working out those numbers as we speak. He is still the best OLB on this team and it isn't close.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  10. #10
    The one hole in Mel's theory...the Steelers don't draft projects in the first. Ever. And while the sky is the limit for this kid, they like polished players from big programs in the first.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •