Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper's Mock Draft has the Steelers taking...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    It's insinuated in that write up that Dick Lebeau actually coaches up players. I don't think that happens. We were unable to develop quite a few DB's until Carnell Lake came on board. Lebeau is a hall of fame CB yet Willie Gay was dreadful and inconsistent until Lake got here. Seems like Keith Butler would be the one doing the coaching, Lebeau doing the scheming.
    Well, in that case, I guess we should give Lebeau credit for developing Troy, Ike and Clark over the past few years if we're going to blame him for Willie Gay. Not to mention, wouldn't it be the secondary coach's job to develop the corners and safeties?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some Steelers fans are in Love with Lacy but read this.

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:

Has the leg drive to push the pile and keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles. Lacey reads his blocks nicely, showing enough lateral agility to avoid defenders as well as the burst to stick his foot in the ground and accelerate through gaps quickly.

He's a well-built back, but shows good balance (including an often-used spin move) and athleticism (leaping ability) to surprise defenders anticipating that all he has is power. Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage.

WEAKNSESSES: Needs to stay healthy as he's been hampered at times with foot injuries (ankle sprains, turf toe). Put the ball on the ground a few times early in his career, but improved in this area.

COMPARES TO: Michael Bush, RB, Chicago Bears - Both have the power to run over defenders while also possessing surprisingly fluid feed for their big frames.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Well, in that case, I guess we should give Lebeau credit for developing Troy, Ike and Clark over the past few years if we're going to blame him for Willie Gay. Not to mention, wouldn't it be the secondary coach's job to develop the corners and safeties?

Pappy
    Not sure I follow your point. That's exactly what I said. The position coaches are the ones coaching the players. Lebeau is not a position coach but a coordinator.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not sure I follow your point. That's exactly what I said. The position coaches are the ones coaching the players. Lebeau is not a position coach but a coordinator.
    Just a classic case of illiteracy on my part and the failure of the RIF program when I was kid.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers need a home run in round one. Not a project. Hood and Heyward are serviceable but it'd nice to have a little bit more than that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Since when do the steelers draft for need rather than best player? I know they won't draft a qb at 17, but they're gonna get the guy they rate highest regardless of need.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Steelers need a home run in round one. Not a project. Hood and Heyward are serviceable but it'd nice to have a little bit more than that.
    You can't hit a home run in the draft without a little gamble. Even if this kid has to be a part time player like Troy his rookie year and then plays as good or better then Jimmy H. It would be nice.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Some Steelers fans are in Love with Lacy but read this.

Analysis
    STRENGTHS:

Has the leg drive to push the pile and keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles. Lacey reads his blocks nicely, showing enough lateral agility to avoid defenders as well as the burst to stick his foot in the ground and accelerate through gaps quickly.

He's a well-built back, but shows good balance (including an often-used spin move) and athleticism (leaping ability) to surprise defenders anticipating that all he has is power. Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage.

WEAKNSESSES: Needs to stay healthy as he's been hampered at times with foot injuries (ankle sprains, turf toe). Put the ball on the ground a few times early in his career, but improved in this area.

COMPARES TO: Michael Bush, RB, Chicago Bears - Both have the power to run over defenders while also possessing surprisingly fluid feed for their big frames.
    while you focus on the negatives, I really like what I read in the positives:

keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles,,,,,Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage.

The Steelers so sorely miss a RB that can break tackles or make that first guy miss. We haven't see that in a couple of years now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    while you focus on the negatives, I really like what I read in the positives:

keeps his legs churning through contact, often resulting in broken tackles,,,,,Runs tough and determined with an angry attitude to finish each run and pick up positive yardage.

The Steelers so sorely miss a RB that can break tackles or make that first guy miss. We haven't see that in a couple of years now.
    Dwyer and Redman are GREAT in breaking tackles! What are you talking about? Both have issues with durability/playing through adversity, and Redman does lack speed... but both excel in situations where they have to break a tackle.

Leg injuries are a red flag, especially for explosive positions like RB (i.e. WR, DB, LB). It basically can rob a player of any exceptional quality that they may have had...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Absolutely..

He looks like another project. I think he is too big to play 3-4 OLB and under-sized to play 3-4 DE.

Also he has only 4.5 sacks in college..sorry i would pass on him in Rd 1...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT