Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers to Look at Injury Issues

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers to Look at Injury Issues

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Team-to-investigate-rash-of-injuries/7a52fef7-d231-4726-99f1-624c12207ae0[/URL]

Would be great to see a renewed focus on training for a lot of those guys, especially Woodley and Gilbert.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    [URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Team-to-investigate-rash-of-injuries/7a52fef7-d231-4726-99f1-624c12207ae0[/URL]

Would be great to see a renewed focus on training for a lot of those guys, especially Woodley and Gilbert.
    It's kind of pathetic that they are JUST NOW looking into this. All you have to do is LOOK at Woodley and Colon to conclude that they are out of shape, fat, sloppy and likely to get hurt due to their conditions. But Art 2 is JUST NOW considering players condition and the impact that has on injuries? I would also like to know how much power rack lifting they are doing during the season. They should be cutting that way back or eliminating it. Do they?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It's kind of pathetic that they are JUST NOW looking into this. All you have to do is LOOK at Woodley and Colon to conclude that they are out of shape, fat, sloppy and likely to get hurt due to their conditions. But Art 2 is JUST NOW considering players condition and the impact that has on injuries? I would also like to know how much power rack lifting they are doing during the season. They should be cutting that way back or eliminating it. Do they?
    Here's a better question.... Why in the hell does it take ownership to get involved in this? This again is a discipline issue just like the others (listed below). This is on the coaching.

Ben calling out his OC
    Mendenhall not showing up for the game
    Wallace
    Fumbling Issues
    Penalty Issues
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Here's a better question.... Why in the hell does it take ownership to get involved in this? This again is a DISPLINE issue just like the others (listed below). This is on the coaching.

Ben calling out his OC
    Mendenhall not showing up for the game
    Wallace
    Fumbling Issues
    Penalty Issues
    Good point. But, as ownership, if you see any problems, you have to address them, but not necessarily in any public way. This is another disturbing example of Tomlin having problems with team discipline, and it could be one of the biggest problems this team has. Can he wake up and fix this? Art 2 is having to get involved because Mikey is screwing this up. Not only are his players showing up fat, but so did he. So they all fit in together.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Good point. But, as ownership, if you see any problems, you have to address them, but not necessarily in any public way. This is another disturbing example of Tomlin having problems with team discipline, and it could be one of the biggest problems this team has. Can he wake up and fix this? Art 2 is having to get involved because Mikey is screwing this up. Not only are his players showing up fat, but so did he. So they all fit in together.
    I was going to mention Tomlin's weight but I left that one out.... I knew someone else would cover that.

This is the most interesting comment by Art II:

"The other thing we have to do is make our players aware that under the rules that we’re all operating under now, it’s more on them to make sure they’re performing the offseason conditioning, because we only have access to them for nine weeks. It is incumbent on the individual players to be aware of that, and I think they are.”

^^ I surely hope the coaching staff is informing players of this. I would also hope that the coaching staff, players, nutrionists, and strength and conditioning personnel map out goals for each player.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe the Steelers ( Players ) should consider Tom Shaw, I think thats his name. I read an article about him and he describes types of injuries and how to be better conditioned to avoid them.

He trains Ike taylor and other NFL stars. From what I'm hearing he offered his assistance in this matter so maybe the players will take him up on that. Ike was durable for many years and games, this is his first yr. I can remember being out on account of injury.
    Some injuries you can't avoid but a better conditioned player who trains in the off season is less likely to have them.

Its really uncommon to have that many injuries on one part of the team( O-line) for 3 years in a row now, something is wrong.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I was going to mention Tomlin's weight but I left that one out.... I knew someone else would cover that.

This is the most interesting comment by Art II:

"The other thing we have to do is make our players aware that under the rules that we’re all operating under now, it’s more on them to make sure they’re performing the offseason conditioning, because we only have access to them for nine weeks. It is incumbent on the individual players to be aware of that, and I think they are.”

^^ I surely hope the coaching staff is informing players of this. I would also hope that the coaching staff, players, nutrionists, and strength and conditioning personnel map out goals for each player.
    I don't know what the new CBA includes or allows, but if possible, they should employ the strategy where players get fined for every day they are not at their ideal playing weight. Obviously, they did not bother to do this with players like Woodley and Colon. I don't think Tomlin can handle administering this kind of discipline. He wants to be their best friend instead of a head coach. Tom Coughlin constantly gets on his players if they are not at their proper weight. It seems like the Steelers don't even mention it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Maybe the Steelers ( Players ) should consider Tom Shaw, I think thats his name. I read an article about him and he describes types of injuries and how to be better conditioned to avoid them.

He trains Ike taylor and other NFL stars. From what I'm hearing he offered his assistance in this matter so maybe the players will take him up on that. Ike was durable for many years and games, this is his first yr. I can remember being out on account of injury.
    Some injuries you can't avoid but a better conditioned player who trains in the off season is less likely to have them.

Its really uncommon to have that many injuries on one part of the team( O-line) for 3 years in a row now, something is wrong.
    What is their work out regiment? Anyone know? Are the doing heavy squats and dead lifts, etc. during the season? If they are, that's one thing to change right there. With all the stress on the knees, legs and ankles just from practicing and playing, they shouldn't be hitting the power rack during the season. Are they?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't know what the new CBA includes or allows, but if possible, they should employ the strategy where players get fined for every day they are not at their ideal playing weight. Obviously, they did not bother to do this with players like Woodley and Colon. I don't think Tomlin can handle administering this kind of discipline. He wants to be their best friend instead of a head coach. Tom Coughlin constantly gets on his players if they are not at their proper weight. It seems like the Steelers don't even mention it.
    Yeah! Casey and Tomlin were best buddies when Casey was on the PUP list for being fat...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post

Shaw is the guy. He is mentioned in this article and all but invites Woodley:

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/3290286-74/injuries-steelers-players#axzz2I1EIprtl[/URL]