Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers to Look at Injury Issues

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Yeah! Casey and Tomlin were best buddies when Casey was on the PUP list for being fat...
    Oh my, that's about as "strict" as demoting Wallace from "Starter" to "Co-starter." As we all saw, Casey was still so fat he could barely walk during the season. He's a few pounds away from being considered "disabled." Heck, I bet he could apply for the handicapped parking sticker and get one issued to him right now. The players have such little to fear, that when Wallace dropped an easy TD pass, he let out the largest grin, ear to ear, that I have ever seen. He thought the whole thing was just hilarious.

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys are pointing at coaching staff for discipline and I won't disagree.

But I am also a firm believer in players stepping up to keep their own in line. Hate to say it, but a Ray Lewis would be riding Woodley's ass the entire season on staying in shape and contributing.
    The defense lost a huge amount of leadership in Farrior. Clark tried to step up but I think the Steelers need a badass LB or lineman to be in charge, get in their teammates faces, set the mood for getting ready for an NFL game.
    The players need self-policing now more than ever with the new NFL rules and I am not sure Tomlin has been able to find 'his man' to serve that role.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just pointing out that Tom Shaw, in the article provided, doesn't say Woodley was out of shape, but that he was training correctly. There is a difference.

Casey Hampton is fat, and always has been. Chances are, always will be. He didn't miss any games to conditioning this season.

Colon is concerning. It's all differing injuries with him. That could very well be on conditioning.

When we talk about injuries, let's not forget the role age will play. The older you are, the more your body breaks down. Ike Taylor, Willie Colon, Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Heath Miller, James Harrison... these guys are all over 30. And Ben, Ike & Heath's injuries can hardly be blamed on conditioning.

Can the Steelers be fitter? Perhaps... sure, why not?

But Tom Shaw isn't saying the Steelers are out of condition- he's saying that the conditioning training the players are doing might not be correct.

It's certainly worth investigating.

As for discipline.... now that is something that the Steelers need to tighten up on. The responsibility will ultimately fall on Tomlin to bring them into line, but as Northcoast said- some of the players need to stand up & assume the leadership of this team. Forget team captains- guys like Keisel etc are probably terriffic captains.

But team leaders the way a Ray Lewis is a team leader, or how Jerome Bettis was... that is what this team needs. Discipline does not ALWAYS have to come from the boss- often times people will respond best to their peers. Case in point- imagine if Hines Ward had been in Wallace's ear all season. How would that have changed Wallace's output?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not really something you can address in midseason.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Not really something you can address in midseason.
    I don't think we are saying that it should have been. At least, I'm not. I think it's a good thing that Rooney is going to look into this. BUT...

I'm asking myself...

#1 - Hasn't Tomlin communicated that he's done this to Rooney. If not, has Tomlin communicated it to his players at all? If both are a "no" then that is a big problem.

#2 - Has the coaches, nutritionists, and strength and conditioning coaches set goals (and/or requirements) for each player?

#3 - If both 1 and 2 are a "yes" (doubtful) then the players need to be held accountable.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

The new CBA took out a lot of the off season conditioning that the teams used, so now its up to the players to follow up on the conditioning themselves in the off season. I think the coaching comes into play when improper techniques are used by the players, especially the OL where you have more wieght and collisions in short area and short time spans.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You guys are pointing at coaching staff for discipline and I won't disagree.

But I am also a firm believer in players stepping up to keep their own in line. Hate to say it, but a Ray Lewis would be riding Woodley's ass the entire season on staying in shape and contributing.
    The defense lost a huge amount of leadership in Farrior. Clark tried to step up but I think the Steelers need a badass LB or lineman to be in charge, get in their teammates faces, set the mood for getting ready for an NFL game.
    The players need self-policing now more than ever with the new NFL rules and I am not sure Tomlin has been able to find 'his man' to serve that role.
    This has always been true, at least in the modern era of the NFL: You need some players to lead and police the team, as coaches get tuned out after so long. But other players will listen to fellow players, especially when there is a crew of leaders who bark out a collective, consistent message, such as, "we don't play out of shape." But, all that being said, the coaching staff has to realize this is a fact, and that when there is a lack of enough team leadership, they need to react and try to counter act the negative impact as much as possible. It seems they were blindsided by this factor. I think Tomlin inherited a team full of leaders and veterans, but found himself lost as those players went away. I think Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Farrior were huge losses that they have not adapted to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    This has always been true, at least in the modern era of the NFL: You need some players to lead and police the team, as coaches get tuned out after so long. But other players will listen to fellow players, especially when there is a crew of leaders who bark out a collective, consistent message, such as, "we don't play out of shape." But, all that being said, the coaching staff has to realize this is a fact, and that when there is a lack of enough team leadership, they need to react and try to counter act the negative impact as much as possible. It seems they were blindsided by this factor. I think Tomlin inherited a team full of leaders and veterans, but found himself lost as those players went away. I think Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Farrior were huge losses that they have not adapted to.
    good post, I agree.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Usually, that is the sort of thing where nature fills the void...

But, with Harrison, Woodley and Polamalu hurt, only Ryan Clark stepped up on the defensive side of things...

On the offensive side, the time was ripe for Roethlisberger to take command of the locker room...he was too busy trying to undermine Todd Haley, apparently...

Mike Wallace was too busy pouting...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Usually, that is the sort of thing where nature fills the void...
    The Steelers coaches said as much in an interview a couple years ago. Team leadership can't be forced. It is a natural process that someone emerges, and assumes the role. It usually comes with a few years experience by those that have high personal discipline and a balanced mentality.

Just not sure who that is on defense, or offense for that matter (I wouldn't say Ben has the highest personal discipline).