Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In The First Round Of The NFL Draft The Steelers Select............

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I get it Ovi. And, I agree. We need more OL. The problem is that, imho, there are only three OL worth our first round pick. Joekel, Fisher, and Warmack. I believe all will be long gone before 17. So, unless we trade up, I don't think we will get one.

I like the offensive side too, but I projected those three above gone by the time we pick, so we beef up the D-line for an option. LOS dictates the outcome of most games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I still get a kick out of the mentality that just by drafting all these OL in the 1st round is gonna guarantee that BB doesn't get hurt again..... lol.. BB got hurt the past 2 years on plays where he stayed in there (and this isn't a knock on him, its the way he plays the game) and instead of living for another play he gets drilled...... You can put him behind 5 all pros and he can STILL go down with an injury...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Drop back and draft one of the WR prospects who are mid-late first rounders

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Drop back and draft one of the WR prospects who are mid-late first rounders
    Definitely could agree with that one. Preferably a BIGGER WR with speed. WR/LB in the first and second round, safety and RB in rounds 3 and 4.

Legend

User Info Menu

Every time I hear that our two drafted tackles can't play because they haven't proven anything yet I think about Duane Brown. I forget which year it was, but Brown was projected to go in round 3-4. There was a huge run on tackles that year and he was the next OT available to the Steelers when their turn to draft came in the first. Of course we were not going to overdraft a tackle. He went a few picks later to the Texans.

That bore itself out when we faced the Texans that first season and Harrison destroyed the rook. Wow, did they ever mess up by over drafting this kid.

Fast forward to this season. Brown is a perennial pro bowler and considered top 5 tackle in the game. My point is that both Adams and Gilbert have looked somewhat ordinary, but have also shown glimpses of ability. Why is it so hard to believe that these two guys can improve. Thats what young players do, they get better with experience and coaching. Why is it that we always seem to recognize improvements in other players, but believe that what we see from our players on their first day is everything that they will ever be. I'm not saying that they will both follow the path of Duane Brown, but I understand that that is the goal and a possibility moving forward.

This is mostly in response to those who think that we need to draft a tackle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I still get a kick out of the mentality that just by drafting all these OL in the 1st round is gonna guarantee that BB doesn't get hurt again..... lol.. BB got hurt the past 2 years on plays where he stayed in there (and this isn't a knock on him, its the way he plays the game) and instead of living for another play he gets drilled...... You can put him behind 5 all pros and he can STILL go down with an injury...
    True fact. Heck, many here gush over Brady's line in NE but even he went out for a year due to injury. A QB is still going to get popped even with the best line. IMO, we have the needed players on the roster already. Draft for depth, but I think there are other positions that need attention.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

While I really have no idea, right now I'll say whoever is the highest rated TE when we pick. As I've explained before, this helps with both protection and attack. This gives Heath a partner, someone to mentor for the future and somebody to handle the load if he isn't ready physically to start the year.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yeah, got to help that so-called "#1 defense" even more! This is the type of move that will guaranteee Ben goes down hurt next season too and we miss the play offs. Defense isn't taking us to a play off berth.

Need to get best OL on the board in Round 1 or are you comfortable with Gilbert-Beachum-Pouncey-CeCastro-Adams to keep your franchise QB upright?
    Starks, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams would be fine by me. If we can't keep Foster then Starks, Beachum/Gilbert, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams is fine. IMO, letting one of your most consistent players on offense (i.e. Starks) walk is a huge mistake. Add in the fact that he's also your LT, it's even worse.

If the Steelers let Starks walk and Ben gets killed because of Gilbert then that is their own fault. I don't know how they can feel comfortable with Gilbert as their starting LT.

Ben needs to help Ben. Also, we need a legit #1 RB. Ben running around like a chicken with it's head cut off doesn't help him stay healthy. Maybe, by the time Ben retires, he'll learn that throwing the ball away is an acceptable option.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Starks, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams would be fine by me. If we can't keep Foster then Starks, Beachum/Gilbert, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams is fine. IMO, letting one of your most consistent players on offense (i.e. Starks) walk is a huge mistake. Add in the fact that he's also your LT, it's even worse.

If the Steelers let Starks walk and Ben gets killed because of Gilbert then that is their own fault. I don't know how they can feel comfortable with Gilbert as their starting LT.

Ben needs to help Ben. Also, we need a legit #1 RB. Ben running around like a chicken with it's head cut off doesn't help him stay healthy. Maybe, by the time Ben retires, he'll learn that throwing the ball away is an acceptable option.
    an acceptable option to get BOOOOOOOOOOOED by Wreck and his ghost buddies.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    an acceptable option to get BOOOOOOOOOOOED by Wreck and his ghost buddies.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I get it Ben throwing the ball away would prevent a couple things....

1) Ben's sacks knocking us out of field goal range
    2) Ben getting hurt

We can't have those happen....
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.