Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: In The First Round Of The NFL Draft The Steelers Select............

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I considered what your saying, the problem is players like Warmack won't be there when we pick. Teams aren't looking for NT's as much as OL players so I felt we could get the BPA of whats left at 17.
    Jessie Williams and Jenkins have the potential to dominate their position, we have Mclendon @ 280 lbs that isn't suited for NT, better suited for DE IMHO.
    That leaves us with the unknown factor with Ta'amu, will he be able to get past his legal issues, and will Fangupo be good enough to play NT at a high level?
    In a 3-4 defense you need players up front to open the lanes for the LB'ers to rush the passer, we haven't seen that for the last two years as the sack totals are the lowest in years. A dominate NT who can take on double team blocks will help our ends and LBer's as well.
    Don't get me wrong I'm for offense too, but you tell me who would be better in round one on offense that would be available? I already stated Warmack is gone before we pick.

As for the projected O-line even I questioned that, but to be fair have any of us seen ADAMS OR GILBERT play LT? So how can we assume they will fail? Same with Beachum. I'm comfortable with Pouncey and DeCasro but as I said to be fair we have to see them play.

Gilbert played LT in college his natural position so its not like he doesen't know what to do, I'm thinking they will have Adams and Gilbert compete for that spot and the loser plays RT.
    Steve McLendon was 280 coming out of college. The Steelers listed him at that weight in their media guide during his first year with the team, and have never changed it since. However, at this point, McLendon is much closer to 325 lbs. than 280 lbs.

Consider that Casey was always listed at 325 lbs., even though there have been times when he was likely closer to 375 lbs. back when Tomlin had him doing wind sprints in Latrobe (I'd say his typical playing weight is in the 350 range).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Steve McLendon was 280 coming out of college. The Steelers listed him at that weight in their media guide during his first year with the team, and have never changed it since. However, at this point, McLendon is much closer to 325 lbs. than 280 lbs.

Consider that Casey was always listed at 325 lbs., even though there have been times when he was likely closer to 375 lbs. back when Tomlin had him doing wind sprints in Latrobe (I'd say his typical playing weight is in the 350 range).
    That could be accurate but I still think he would make a better end. he has trouble with the run game and taking on double team blocks, but he is a better pass rusher IMHO. I like Mclendon he's scrappy and a good motor, but NT requires a someone who can stop the run and take on blocks to free up the lanes for the LB'ers.

For conversation puposes, I'll take Mclendon over Hood or Heyward......right now!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-15-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

That could be accurate but I still think he would make a better end. he has trouble with the run game and taking on double team blocks, but he is a better pass rusher IMHO. I like Mclendon he's scrappy and a good motor, but NT requires a someone who can stop the run and take on blocks to free up the lanes for the LB'ers.

For conversation puposes, I'll take Mclendon over Hood or Heyward......right now!
    The 3-4 DE's also need to command double teams, stop the run and take on blocks to free up lanes for the LBs...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with Ovi that we need to shore up the offensive line but I don't think anyone substantial will be around when we pick in the 1st. I also think we need a pure pass rusher. Someone whose only job is to get the QB. A Von Miller or Aldon Smith type. Unfortunately they don't seem to last around to pick 17 either. My next choice might be a ball hawking safety but whatever safety you pick won't start ahead of Troy and Clark.

So I think the Steelers trade back in the first round, giving up 17 for picks 28 and 60, and end up drafting Stanford TE Zach Ertz. Although he is not a WR I think he is the physical type of guy that the Steelers need to out fight defenders for the ball. He is a big target in the red zone and he can also go deep down the middle.

This will allow us to pick up another quality offensive lineman and safety in training or inside backer with our 2 2nd round picks.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Okafor probably wouldn't be my pick. I believe the Steelers will love him though. He is a first round talent, not a second.
    He's Woodley 2.0. They already have 1.0. He's not going in the first by the way, he's limited athletically in the same ways that Woodley is limited.

Backup

User Info Menu

Just a Q---Why the heck do some of you want a O-L or NT in the first round? You don't see McClendon stepping in and doing a solid job for us? Plus NT is hit or miss and if they do pan out it takes a few years of develpment. Oline is not something we draft in the first round for a reason..(except last year) and look how that panned out--We got DeCastro (lost the Bengals game for us by himself) intstead of Hightower.
    I just see such a need at ILB, OLB, S, RB. Id wait till at least 2-4 for RB though.
    You can find nice off lineman late. Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ok folks,
    Many names are out there who we might draft in the first but for the fun of it, pick your guy and give the reason for your selection. As the draft is concluded in round one we can look back on this thread and see who was right either by the draft pick or position.

Supers Selection:
    I've been trying to break down our draft needs in combination of BPA, also taking into consideration which players probably will be selected before us. Picking at 17 could give us a need player or BPA, I'm starting to think the Steelers will select the BPA in this round and try and get the need players following round one.
    Considering positions the teams above us might pick, I'm thinking only one NT will be selected before us, so we could get a darn good NT at 17, and he might be the BPA for us. We should be able to get one of the top three NT's in this draft and if so a strong possibility the Steelers will select him.
    I realize there are other positions we need beside NT, but if we can get the second best NT or possibly the best NT that position might be BPA. The BPA of OLB's, ILB, LT, and G will probably be gone before we pick. WR,TE,RB are positions I think we pick later in the draft and still might find a good one and value to our team.

My Selection:

Jessie Williams or Johnathan Jenkins

Now I know you guys have other names or positions in mind and may not like my pick, thats ok, let me know yours and we can get back here in April and see who got it right.
    Now I get what a 3-4 NT does and how he opens things up for others but if you draft Jesse Williams ya better know he's not going to make many plays. For a guy who dominates the LOS I'd like to get a little more than 2.5 tackles for loss. Even if he is primarily a gap plugger.

36 tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss and one sack this year for Alabama.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Now I get what a 3-4 NT does and how he opens things up for others but if you draft Jesse Williams ya better know he's not going to make many plays. For a guy who dominates the LOS I'd like to get a little more than 2.5 tackles for loss. Even if he is primarily a gap plugger.

36 tackles, including 2.5 tackles for loss and one sack this year for Alabama.
    He did what Saban asked him to do. Against Georgia and Notre Dame he was dominant even while injured. He can play Nose or End in the 3-4.

He's very similar to Haloti Ngata to me. Ngata has never had more than 50 tackles in a year. Williams is a playa with the same type of strength Ngata displays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He did what Saban asked him to do. Against Georgia and Notre Dame he was dominant even while injured. He can play Nose or End in the 3-4.

He's very similar to Haloti Ngata to me. Ngata has never had more than 50 tackles in a year. Williams is a playa with the same type of strength Ngata displays.
    Now I like Jesse Williams but come on Rob. He isnt what Hiloti Ngata is. That is not a very good comparison.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Just a Q---Why the heck do some of you want a O-L or NT in the first round? You don't see McClendon stepping in and doing a solid job for us? Plus NT is hit or miss and if they do pan out it takes a few years of develpment. Oline is not something we draft in the first round for a reason..(except last year) and look how that panned out--We got DeCastro (lost the Bengals game for us by himself) intstead of Hightower.
    I just see such a need at ILB, OLB, S, RB. Id wait till at least 2-4 for RB though.
    You can find nice off lineman late. Thoughts?
    The only reason i would not go NT in Rd 1 is because if you need a NT to occupy 2 blockers get that player in Rd 3 - Rd 4 . Why waste a Rd 1 pick on that. Steelers already have invested two Rd 1 picks on D-Linemen.. Cam heyward and Ziggy Hood to occupy blockers.

Cam heyward a first Rd pick might not see field even in his 3rd year.

Steelers need WR or a RB in Rd 1. A player who could make an impact. I would not mind a ball-hawk safety either. Enough of LBers in Rd 1. Get Woodley in shape and see what Sly or Spence have at ILB. And replace Harrison with Worilds. There are no position open at LB and one does not draft a Rd 1 LBer for depth.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT