Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In The First Round Of The NFL Draft The Steelers Select............

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

In The First Round Of The NFL Draft The Steelers Select............

Ok folks,
    Many names are out there who we might draft in the first but for the fun of it, pick your guy and give the reason for your selection. As the draft is concluded in round one we can look back on this thread and see who was right either by the draft pick or position.

Supers Selection:
    I've been trying to break down our draft needs in combination of BPA, also taking into consideration which players probably will be selected before us. Picking at 17 could give us a need player or BPA, I'm starting to think the Steelers will select the BPA in this round and try and get the need players following round one.
    Considering positions the teams above us might pick, I'm thinking only one NT will be selected before us, so we could get a darn good NT at 17, and he might be the BPA for us. We should be able to get one of the top three NT's in this draft and if so a strong possibility the Steelers will select him.
    I realize there are other positions we need beside NT, but if we can get the second best NT or possibly the best NT that position might be BPA. The BPA of OLB's, ILB, LT, and G will probably be gone before we pick. WR,TE,RB are positions I think we pick later in the draft and still might find a good one and value to our team.

My Selection:

Jessie Williams or Johnathan Jenkins

Now I know you guys have other names or positions in mind and may not like my pick, thats ok, let me know yours and we can get back here in April and see who got it right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Chuck's pre-Mock 1.0

Here you go, Lakey:

I am sure this will change a bit, including Lacy moving up (a made this before the BCS Championship game). Here's my first pre-Mock 1.0:

Round 1: Barkevious Mingo - OLB, LSU Possibilities - Minter, Okafor, Vaccaro. Linebacker is a must. I am still convinced Hightower was our pick last year until DeCastro fell in our laps.

Round 2: Eric Reid, S, LSU (Maybe Lacy here, but a RB is a definite need)

Round 3: Ed Lacy , RB - Alabama (his stock on the rise, we may need to grab him Round 2). If so, best S left is taken here.

Round 4: Zac Dysert - QB - Miami (Second in most Miami, Ohio QB records by a fellow named Roethlesberger). Big kid, time to draft a legitimate back-up QB, why not Dysert? Could be Landry as well.

Round 5: Ryan Swope, WR - Texas A&M - Big play maker - Good-bye Wallace.

Round 6: D.J. Swearinger, S - South Carolina - Play making ball-hawk that delivers big time hits. From the SEC, need I say more? Oh, Clowney's team-mate on a punishing defense.

Round 7: Brian Winters, OT - Kent State - Big time potential from a small school (my alma-mater, aka Linebacker U. (Lambert, Harrison). Also NFL players: Cribbs, Antonio Gates, and Edelman.
    Last edited by Chucktownsteeler; 01-15-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

At this point in the process, I believe the Steelers will select Alex Okafor if available. He does a great job creating pressure. He can speed rush and bull rush. He is a good tackler and supports the run well. He has great size and could easily transition to a 4-3 if needed.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Ok folks,
    Many names are out there who we might draft in the first but for the fun of it, pick your guy and give the reason for your selection. As the draft is concluded in round one we can look back on this thread and see who was right either by the draft pick or position.

Supers Selection:
    I've been trying to break down our draft needs in combination of BPA, also taking into consideration which players probably will be selected before us. Picking at 17 could give us a need player or BPA, I'm starting to think the Steelers will select the BPA in this round and try and get the need players following round one.
    Considering positions the teams above us might pick, I'm thinking only one NT will be selected before us, so we could get a darn good NT at 17, and he might be the BPA for us. We should be able to get one of the top three NT's in this draft and if so a strong possibility the Steelers will select him.
    I realize there are other positions we need beside NT, but if we can get the second best NT or possibly the best NT that position might be BPA. The BPA of OLB's, ILB, LT, and G will probably be gone before we pick. WR,TE,RB are positions I think we pick later in the draft and still might find a good one and value to our team.

My Selection:

Jessie Williams or Johnathan Jenkins

Now I know you guys have other names or positions in mind and may not like my pick, thats ok, let me know yours and we can get back here in April and see who got it right.

Yeah, got to help that so-called "#1 defense" even more! This is the type of move that will guaranteee Ben goes down hurt next season too and we miss the play offs. Defense isn't taking us to a play off berth.

Need to get best OL on the board in Round 1 or are you comfortable with Gilbert-Beachum-Pouncey-CeCastro-Adams to keep your franchise QB upright?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    At this point in the process, I believe the Steelers will select Alex Okafor if available. He does a great job creating pressure. He can speed rush and bull rush. He is a good tackler and supports the run well. He has great size and could easily transition to a 4-3 if needed.
    OK with Okafor in Round 2, not Round 1.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yeah, got to help that so-called "#1 defense" even more! This is the type of move that will guaranteee Ben goes down hurt next season too and we miss the play offs. Defense isn't taking us to a play off berth.

Need to get best OL on the board in Round 1 or are you comfortable with Gilbert-Beachum-Pouncey-CeCastro-Adams to keep your franchise QB upright?
    And if there is no OL worth the #17 pick? And there are no trading partners?

Do you advocate overdrafting simply to put another body on the OL?

Aren't you someone who wants the defense to focus more on sacks and turnovers? Wouldn't a pass rusher, like Mingo, help that?
    Last edited by Slapstick; 01-15-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And if there is no OL worth the #17 pick? And there are no trading partners?

Do you advocate overdrafting simply to put another body on the OL?

Aren't you someone who wants the defense to focus more on sacks and turnovers? Wouldn't a pass rusher, like Mingo, help that?
    A pass rusher would help that but not Mingo. Mingo reminds me of Vernon Gholston who the Jets picked a few years ago.

As far as overdrafting do you really think getting an OL who may be ranked late Round 1 at #17 is an overdraft if they fill a need? Do you really think those rankings are that correct with that much scientific precision predicting future success?
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-15-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

A pass rusher would help that but not Mingo. Mingo reminds me of Vernon Gholston who the Jets picked a few years ago.
    Fair enough...

A ball hawking safety, then?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Fair enough...

A ball hawking safety, then?
    I could live with Vaccarro over another DL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I considered what your saying, the problem is players like Warmack won't be there when we pick. Teams aren't looking for NT's as much as OL players so I felt we could get the BPA of whats left at 17.
    Jessie Williams and Jenkins have the potential to dominate their position, we have Mclendon @ 280 lbs that isn't suited for NT, better suited for DE IMHO.
    That leaves us with the unknown factor with Ta'amu, will he be able to get past his legal issues, and will Fangupo be good enough to play NT at a high level?
    In a 3-4 defense you need players up front to open the lanes for the LB'ers to rush the passer, we haven't seen that for the last two years as the sack totals are the lowest in years. A dominate NT who can take on double team blocks will help our ends and LBer's as well.
    Don't get me wrong I'm for offense too, but you tell me who would be better in round one on offense that would be available? I already stated Warmack is gone before we pick.

As for the projected O-line even I questioned that, but to be fair have any of us seen ADAMS OR GILBERT play LT? So how can we assume they will fail? Same with Beachum. I'm comfortable with Pouncey and DeCasro but as I said to be fair we have to see them play.

Gilbert played LT in college his natural position so its not like he doesen't know what to do, I'm thinking they will have Adams and Gilbert compete for that spot and the loser plays RT.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-15-2013 at 09:35 AM.