Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Truth of the matter with WR in 2012

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Truth of the matter with WR in 2012

For those in denial about the TRUTH about our WRs - soak this in. This supports everything I had been saying about the WRs.

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1483763-5-ways-the-pittsburgh-steelers-can-help-ben-roethlisberger-get-better-in-2013/page/4[/url]

Pittsburgh's receiving corps experienced a huge letdown in 2012 as pending free agent Mike Wallace and emerging stars Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders all took a giant step backward during the season.

Wallace, who's protracted holdout alienated the fanbase, became a player with almost zero effort who dropped easy passes and big-play balls alike.

Brown, who signed a nice extension before the season, became drop-prone as well and made some serious mental errors down the stretch on punt returns and on offense that led to losses.

Sanders simply couldn't get on track, but emerged from the season as the most consistent of the team's receivers.

In 2013, the Steelers must help Ben Roethlisberger by coaching the mistakes out of Brown and Sanders, replacing Wallace with free agent Plaxico Burress, who needs a bigger role out of the slot and in the red zone, and once again, involving possession receiver Jerricho Cotchery in the system.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seeing as how Wallace is a 1 trick pony & easy to replace, the most concerning paragraph in that article is the 3rd one.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Seeing as how Wallace is a 1 trick pony & easy to replace, the most concerning paragraph in that article is the 3rd one.
    I suspect that getting rid of Wallace with be addition through subtraction, and Brown will have his best season ever. When you have a buddy who has a bad team attitude, it tends to influence others in a negative way. Get rid of the crappy attitude Wallace and the unit will likely gain more positive attitudes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I suspect that getting rid of Wallace with be addition through subtraction, and Brown will have his best season ever. When you have a buddy who has a bad team attitude, it tends to influence others in a negative way. Get rid of the crappy attitude Wallace and the unit will likely gain more positive attitudes.
    I hate to break it to you, but there is no world in which Plaxico Burress now is a better WR than Wallace.

Wallace had an awful year and will probably be overpaid, but his departure leaves the Steelers with a below average group of WRs and another hole that needs to be filled.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but there is no world in which Plaxico Burress now is a better WR than Wallace.

Wallace had an awful year and will probably be overpaid, but his departure leaves the Steelers with a below average group of WRs and another hole that needs to be filled.
    Yeah, no kidding...Plaxico will turn THIRTY-SIX during training camp. He caught all of THREE PASSES this season (and only one catch in games that meant anything). Yeah...he's the answer. For those who lament Mike Wallace's attitude, do you forget that Plaxico's attitude was worse back when he was 26?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, no kidding...Plaxico will turn THIRTY-SIX during training camp. He caught all of THREE PASSES this season (and only one catch in games that meant anything). Yeah...he's the answer. For those who lament Mike Wallace's attitude, do you forget that Plaxico's attitude was worse back when he was 26?
    Plax will cost a fraction of what Wallace will cost. He still has good hands and creates matchup problems against smaller defenders. Is he a long term fix? Obviously not. But may make a nice WR for 2013.

Legend

User Info Menu

a bullet, jail cell and time changed all that. Plax isn't the answer but he is a short term solution.

..and Brown may have cost us a game or made some mental errors but it wasn't from a lack of trying. Brown has a few things to clean up but a bad attitude isn't one of them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think Plaxico is the answer or better than Wallace. I do think he could teach Wallace a couple of things that would make Mike a better receiver. How to draw a pass interference being one of them.

While Burress only caught 3 passes I think he was responsible for 3 touchdowns. Given he was rarely on the field I think that he has a great ratio of plays to steeler touchdowns.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, and Randy Moss is 35 probably headed to the Superbowl, and was a key on several plays for the Niners last week.
    If used correctly, there is no reason why Plax cannot contribute and be a part of the offense for the 2013 season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

When is there an off season when a player leaving DOESN'T leave a hole at some position? It is the norm. Adjust, adapt, make it happen. Deal with it. Oh, and as much as Wallace played like a wet fart, he created a hole BY PLAYING in Pgh last season. We will be better without him. Watch and see.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 01-15-2013 at 04:13 PM.