Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Truth of the matter with WR in 2012

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Brown will be better when his "young $" buddy is gone. But let's not forget the image of Brown just standing there, looking at the football in the end zone, and not bothering to bend over or fall on it, costing us a TD vs. SD, in a game that we lost. That certainly ___WAS___ an example of him not bothering to give any effort, for sure.
    That wasn't a lack of effort...that was just being dumb...

    When there is a loose football, just fall on it...he was so sure that it was an incomplete forward pass that he stupidly let it roll around in our endzone...

    Brown works plenty hard and gives fantastic effort...now, he needs to play smarter...

  2. #22
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Typically the Steelers try to groom a backup plan. When Aaron Smith left, Ziggy stepped in. When Keisel goes, Heyward will step in. Foote taking over for Farrior.

    There are holes that occur because of age and you cannot prevent those. Wallace is a younger player and that is the difference.

    Again, I was as displeased with his play as anybody this year, but his departure will weaken the team.
    The Steelers replaced Plax in his prime and continued to succeed, the Steelers replaced Santonio Holmes in his prime and continue to succeed and they'll replace Wallace in his prime and continue to succeed who isn't as good (IMO) as either Plax or Holmes in their primes. Because of changes in the game colleges are grooming more and more receivers for the NFL. Finding a replacement for Mike Wallace shouldn't be to tall of an order, he isn't in the caliber of Fitz, Johnson (Andre and Calvin), Jones (Julio), Green (AJ), White (Roddy), etc all of those guys go and high point the ball something Wallace can't or won't do. The 3rd or 4th round will probably produce Wallace's replacement.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That wasn't a lack of effort...that was just being dumb...

    When there is a loose football, just fall on it...he was so sure that it was an incomplete forward pass that he stupidly let it roll around in our endzone...

    Brown works plenty hard and gives fantastic effort...now, he needs to play smarter...
    Being dumb is often the result of lacking effort or bothering to give a damn. When you aren't focused, you do dumb things. I threw my pool-cleaning robot in the water instead of "placing" it in the pool. It didn't break, but it could have. My wife asked me, "Why did you do that?" and I said, "I was just being stupid." Had I been paying more attention, I would not have done that. If I am playing in an NFL game, I would be paying attention the entire game; I don't know how you can just not pay attention with the stakes being so high. It doesn't make sense. Brown was not paying attention. Not acceptable.

  4. #24
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Typically the Steelers try to groom a backup plan. When Aaron Smith left, Ziggy stepped in. When Keisel goes, Heyward will step in. Foote taking over for Farrior.

    There are holes that occur becuase of age and you cannot prevent those. Wallace is a younger player and that is the difference.

    Again, I was as displeased with his play as anybody this year, but his departure will weaken the team.
    There is far more to the quality of a team than merely the collection of talent. Chemistry is everything. Without it, no level of talent makes up for it, and MW was a chemistry destroyer last year. Him leaving will be a case of addition through subtraction. Watch and learn.

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,499
    Although we all BELIEVE defense will be hot & heavy early we know the Steelers could do the opposite if Wallace leaves and target a WR. It would not surprise me in the very least that the Steelers are 100% confident in their previous drafts & UDFA on this team to fill the holes on defense in 2013 and maybe even after. I didn't say I agree with it....But they are the ones that know best.

    If Wallace leaves & they don't sign Burress...Don't be surprised when the Steelers are on the clock a "Trade" is announced where the Steelers move down...And they end up taking Cordarrelle Patterson. I said it...I'm sure many won't like it...But he takes care of your #3 immediately & your KR/PR. I would say there is no reason to think he couldn't be your X as soon as the start of the season if he picks up the spot.



  6. #26
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,044
    Yancy Thigpen, Ernie Mills, and Andre Hastings were a better stable of WRs than we have now.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers replaced Plax in his prime and continued to succeed, the Steelers replaced Santonio Holmes in his prime and continue to succeed and they'll replace Wallace in his prime and continue to succeed who isn't as good (IMO) as either Plax or Holmes in their primes. Because of changes in the game colleges are grooming more and more receivers for the NFL. Finding a replacement for Mike Wallace shouldn't be to tall of an order, he isn't in the caliber of Fitz, Johnson (Andre and Calvin), Jones (Julio), Green (AJ), White (Roddy), etc all of those guys go and high point the ball something Wallace can't or won't do. The 3rd or 4th round will probably produce Wallace's replacement.

    Pappy
    I'm not saying that Wallace is not replaceable. He is. But having to replace him is one more pick that can't be used on another area of need. And there is nobody waiting in the wings.

    Even if the Steelers find a great replacement in the draft, he is not likely to be productive until at least year 2. Using the examples above, Santonio and Plaxico were both awful as rookies. Holmes cost the team a few games with his gaffes before winning the meaningless season finale with a late TD. The most productive rookie WR this year was TY Hilton - none of the rest made significant contributions.

    This is a setback for the offense, even if tempoarary, and it takes awya from another resource on the field.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Yancy Thigpen, Ernie Mills, and Andre Hastings were a better stable of WRs than we have now.
    Don't forget Charles Johnson and, at times, Slash. That was a really solid group.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Watch and learn.
    GTH. I'm not going to be lectured by the board clown.

  10. #30
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not saying that Wallace is not replaceable. He is. But having to replace him is one more pick that can't be used on another area of need. And there is nobody waiting in the wings.

    Even if the Steelers find a great replacement in the draft, he is not likely to be productive until at least year 2. Using the examples above, Santonio and Plaxico were both awful as rookies. Holmes cost the team a few games with his gaffes before winning the meaningless season finale with a late TD. The most productive rookie WR this year was TY Hilton - none of the rest made significant contributions.

    This is a setback for the offense, even if temporary, and it takes away from another resource on the field.
    I agree with you 100% and it would be better if they don't have to use a pick to replace Wallace. Hopefully, only a temporary setback, but the good news is that Ben has managed throughout his career to get by using average to slightly above average and one HOF receiver and being successful. But, if they can find his replacement where they found him (3rd I think) it wouldn't be a horrible waste of resource. We'll see where this takes the Steelers once free agency can start and the offers start heading Wallace's way.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •