Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Give a choice, I'd take Russell Wilson over Ben right now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I never really watched Russell Wilson too much before the playoffs but I really love that kid. If the Steelers could get any other QB than Ben, I would take him. People always mention the Steelers Oline in reference to Ben, but the argument I would always make is that QBs who anticipate the rush and maneuver as well as Wilson, will avoid sacks that will get to Ben, with the same OL line. The lesser mobile QBs like Manning and Brady will take fewer sacks with the same OL line, because they get rid of the ball quicker.

So, I can't be as volatile anti-Ben as lloydroid, but Ben does need to tighten the screws on himself. He doesn't have nearly the mobility as the RGIIIs, etc and this new crop, so he really needs to excel in his reads and accuracy, since his mobility is going to lessen in the near future. He has the tools to do all this.

People always used to argue about running QBs versus pocket passers, but that was when Kordell Stewart and Michael Vick, who were often in the 70s with the passer ratings were the top (running QBs), but with Wilson, RGIII, Kapernick and even Luck, who display great mobility and also passer ratings in the high 90s or over 100, coming into the landscape, Ben needs to work harder to keep up with players like them.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I never really watched Russell Wilson too much before the playoffs but I really love that kid. If the Steelers could get any other QB than Ben, I would take him. People always mention the Steelers Oline in reference to Ben, but the argument I would always make is that QBs who anticipate the rush and maneuver as well as Wilson, will avoid sacks that will get to Ben, with the same OL line. The lesser mobile QBs like Manning and Brady will take fewer sacks with the same OL line, because they get rid of the ball quicker.

So, I can't be as volatile anti-Ben as lloydroid, but Ben does need to tighten the screws on himself. He doesn't have nearly the mobility as the RGIIIs, etc and this new crop, so he really needs to excel in his reads and accuracy, since his mobility is going to lessen in the near future. He has the tools to do all this.

People always used to argue about running QBs versus pocket passers, but that was when Kordell Stewart and Michael Vick, who were often in the 70s with the passer ratings were the top (running QBs), but with Wilson, RGIII, Kapernick and even Luck, who display great mobility and also passer ratings in the high 90s or over 100, coming into the landscape, Ben needs to work harder to keep up with players like them.
    Problem is, Ben isn't convinced he needs to work. He has always had things come easy to him, without having to put much effort in, and I don't see him changing. He thinks he can "gun sling" his was to winning. And he has stated, more than once, that he isn't going to change his ways. He doesn't have to change completely, but he does need to revise his game some, but he will fight it every bit of the way, allowing it to even lead to losses. But we are talking about a guy who has sex in public bathrooms and skips out on paying bar bills. I don't know what we can realistically expect from him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben is nothing more than a game manager. He's not elite, not a HOF and at this point I wouldn't even consider him very good.... Say what you want about Flacco, Ben would have NEVER won in a shoot-out against Peyton Manning. Hell, he couldn't even out score Tim Tebow. All this dude had to do was beat the stinking bengals. I mean, how many points did they score? Three, seven - and our elite QB couldn't rise to the occaision. Hate to break it to y'all! Our superbowl dreams went out the door when Hines Ward retired.... Ben will not win another super bowl!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Then why did you make a list of QBs who I never said were better than Ben? And, the sun is not made out of cheese. I can't believe that you think it is.
    Dude, go back and read. I never made any such list. Please, pay attention.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Ya, I was going to mention Ryan at the end because he makes it twice. A couple of years ago before he had even made the playoffs he was already better than Ben. Now, after finally winning one playoff game he makes it again.
    I do remember Matt Ryan (in his rookie year), being touted as the best rookie QB in memory. I remember it, because only a couple years earlier, Ben led his team to a 15-win season and the AFCC game (losing to a team* who had secret tapes on him and his team).

To the notion (of Wilson vs. Ben), it's not out of the realm TBH. Wilson is/was very impressive... just as Ben was (as a rookie in '04); as Ryan was a few years later; how Cam was last year; not to mention Dalton. And the rookies this year. The question then would be: how have all those guys fared since.

It's really a mixed bag. And as someone mentioned, how do they fare in their 2nd years?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He's closer to the top than being a bum and it isn't close. There's no need to list the bums we all know who they are and we know who the best are and Ben is way closer to the best of the best than he is the worst of the worst. Seeing it any other way simply shows a disdain for Ben for some reason, maybe he stood up someones sister, maybe he didn't buy you a drink or sign an autograph, but for some reason many people don't like him.

Pappy

Pappy
    dont think its "many people"

a few...yes

a few that like to create multiple logins on different message boards..... absolutely

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Ben is nothing more than a game manager. He's not elite, not a HOF and at this point I wouldn't even consider him very good.... Say what you want about Flacco, Ben would have NEVER won in a shoot-out against Peyton Manning. Hell, he couldn't even out score Tim Tebow. All this dude had to do was beat the stinking bengals. I mean, how many points did they score? Three, seven - and our elite QB couldn't rise to the occaision. Hate to break it to y'all! Our superbowl dreams went out the door when Hines Ward retired.... Ben will not win another super bowl!
    Yep, and Terry Bradshaw sucked too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    dont think its "many people"

a few...yes

a few that like to create multiple logins on different message boards..... absolutely
    It's more than a few... I go back to Pittsburgh a lot to visit family and every time I go my Dad tells me about an argument he had with a Steeler fan who hates or isn't a fan of Ben.

I think it's probably 60-40 in Ben's favor and there are a good 20% who go back and forth depending on how he played the last game. Most of the people that hate Ben in Pittsburgh hate him for his off field antics. I know fans who like Ben don't like hearing it but it's part of his doing and most of it started with the motorcycle incident. He didn't break any laws but it's one of those things that made people think he was stubborn... then the bars, rumors, women, etc followed.

Add all that up with a city who loves Defense and you have a great recipe for hate... most appreciate him on the field and what he brought on the field but it will be like Terry IMO... They will like him from a distance but won't fall over themselves like Heath, A. Smith, Hines, Franco, etc...

The city was Ben's in 2004.... he knows he screwed it up.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know why it would shock anybody to know that there are true steeler fans that simply don't like the way Ben plays quarterback. I certainly know more than, just a few. Ben ain't the "end all, be all" of quarterbacks. I watch the NFL and I see alot of QBs I think are better than Ben and could successfully lead this team. One of the things that scare me about Ben is when I watch games earlier in his career, particularly the pre-accident years and he was a much better QB. He was decisive, didn't pump-fake nine times before throwing the ball, didn't hold onto the ball for an eternity and take unneccesary sacks, at that time I truly thought this guy would be one of the GOAT!

Fast forward to now! I see a quarterback who has regressed! Ben is indecisive, a poor decision maker, inaccurate with his throws, and seems incapable of understanding the concepts of how to I run a clean, efficient, methodical offense and score touchdowns.... I am eternally grateful for the success he helped us to achieve early on, but let's not kidd ourselves, Ben walked into about as good of a situation as you could imagine for a young quarterback. Kind of similar to what Colin Kaepernick is experiencing. Like, dude! Don't worring about nothing! Just go out and do your thing and don't eff up the game...... Now, as we see, when most of those core veterans have moved on, Ben has proven he cannot carry the team the way truly elite QBs can........ It's called, acceptance! More than a "few" of us have accepted this fact. Some of you refuse to ever acknowledge this, no matter how many game crushing interceptions Ben throws.......

Legend

User Info Menu

Seahawks Russell Wilson disagrees with Steelers Mike Tomlin

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 28 2013

No one who enjoys any level of success likes to hear someone else claim it was a fluke. One of those people recently discredited by the Steelers head coach, has taken to the defense of his trendy talents.

Head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike Tomlin pulls no punches when he answers questions he deems to be nonsensical.

Recently, Tomlin was asked about the run-option offense's place in the NFL. He replied swiftly and succinctly. He called it a "flavor of the month" passing fad. He declared his team's interest in bringing it to a quick and decisive end.

While Tomlin's assessment may hold true in the long run, the success of the offense in 2012 is undeniable. The San Francisco 49ers ran it all the way to the Super Bowl. The Washington Redskins found the future of their franchise in Robert Griffin III, and the Seattle Seahawks were suddenly spectacular behind rookie sensation Russell Wilson.

Wilson was asked by the Tacoma News-Tribune about Tomlin's comments. Evidently, Wilson disagrees with Tomlin.

"To be honest with you, people try to take away from the ability that guys have in terms of what Colin Kaepernick and other guys like him can do, for whatever reason, because they're young, or they're different; but I think it brings excitement to the game. It brings a challenge to the defense. It doesn't matter what style of offense, I'm ready to play any time, anywhere, anyplace. I just want to play football. Some people try to take away from our ability to throw the football because we can run, but I think it just adds another dimension to what we do."

To be fair to Wilson's argument, the Seahawks did not rely on the run-option all season; but when they did, they were awfully good at it. However, to be fair to Tomlin's point, Wilson hit the nail on the head.

"It brings a challenge to the defense."

Like many unorthodox or non-traditional systems, success is usually found in early stages due to no precedents on which to base defensive gameplans. Also, teams are currently built to defend the modern NFL offense as it was prior to the run-option explosion of 2012. As more and more teams begin to jump on the systematic bandwagon, more teams will begin building defenses out of athleticism to counteract the offensive advantage. Teams have already began compiling tape on the new looks, and will not find themselves as unprepared as they were last season.

Tomlin undoubtedly believes his team is up to Wilson's challenge. As he said in defense of his flavor comments, "Let's see how committed these guys are to getting their guys hit." As the loss of Redskins Griffin proves, the scheme exposes passers to even more contact.

The read-option offense may have a leg to stand on now, but its lifespan relies on the durability of those legs. An inability to run, creates inability for option. The longevity of the offensive scheme will be defined by the performances of quarterbacks who start running out of options due to swelling injury reports.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4155672/seahawks-russell-wilson-comments-offense-mike-tomlin[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha