Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Give a choice, I'd take Russell Wilson over Ben right now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

But to be fair i would take all the names mention over Ben as far as professional attitude towards the game and maybe work ethic but not their body of work only a couple would get that.
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees. Maybe 1 or 2 more that's it.
    I never seen a QB whine as much as Ben, I think it's all about him.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    But to be fair i would take all the names mention over Ben as far as professional attitude towards the game and maybe work ethic but not their body of work only a couple would get that.
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees. Maybe 1 or 2 more that's it.
    I never seen a QB whine as much as Ben, I think it's all about him.
    He just comes across as fake. He likes to pretend he is all high class with certain quotes but then will always slip in little trap doors of injuries, giving himself ready excuses if he loses. I used to get excited by watching/listening to him address the linemen before games; now it feels at least partly fake and you can tell by their body language that the linemen don't totally buy it either.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    How long have yu been a fan?
    If he's an old-timer, then he's probably one of those who made Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart feel unwelcome in Pittsburgh.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Backup

User Info Menu

So now Matt Ryan is better than Ben Roethlisberger, huh? Let us do compare their post-season performances...

Completion percentage

60.6% - Ben Roethlisberger
    64.8% - Matt Ryan

Advantage: Matt Ryan

Passing yards per game

225.0 - Ben Roethlisberger
    208.5 - Matt Ryan

Advantage: Ben Roethlisberger

Yards per pass attempt

7.7 - Ben Roethlisberger
    5.8 - Matt Ryan

TD percentage

4.9% - Ben Roethlisberger
    4.1% - Matt Ryan

INT percentage

4.2% - Ben Roethlisberger
    4.1% - Matt Ryan

TD/INT ratio

1.18 - Ben Roethlisberger
    1.00 - Matt Ryan

Passer rating

83.7 - Ben Roethlisberger
    76.6 - Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan has the advantage in completion percentage and INT percentage. Ben Roethlisberger has the advantage in passing yards per game, yards per pass attempt, TD percentage, TD/INT ratio and passer rating. It's also worth noting that Matt Ryan, since he entered the league in 2008, has always had better weapons on offense than Roethlisberger has.

Michael Turner has 1,411 carries for 6,081 yards, 4.3 YPC and 60 TDs with the Falcons. In the same period of time, Rashard Mendenhall has 547 fewer carries, 2,532 fewer yards, 0.2 fewer YPC and 31 fewer TDs. And the Falcons currently have more reliable WRs (two) than the Steelers have ever had with Roethlisberger (one), plus a Hall-of-Fame TE. Poor Heath Miller was underutilized until Todd Haley arrived in Pittsburgh. And let's not even compare the Steelers offensive line to the Falcons offensive line -- either now or in the last five years -- because it's an insult to the Falcons offensive line.

Great, Roethlisberger has had a better defense, but he's never on the field with them. And it's painfully obvious that the 10 other players in the huddle with Matt Ryan have been markedly superior to the 10 players in the huddle with Roethlisberger in the last five seasons. A good defense can help a QB win more, but good weapons make a QB look better individually, and not only has Matt Ryan been given much better weapons, but Roethlisberger has had the worst weapons of any top-tier QB in the NFL in the last five years.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Given the choice, I'd take Russell Wilson over you right now...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Your evaluation of Ben is myopic. You are viewing his current skill based on the past, but he no longer offers the same quality of play. If anything, he cost us the play offs this year, throwing two game-losing pics in the games we needed to win coming down the stretch. The QBs I admire are the ones who are CURRENTLY offering superior play - not ones who sloppiness and undisciplined ways cost us the post season.
    And, every year at this time there can only be 4 QBs playing, so some good quarterbacks aren't going to be in the playoffs that doesn't make them bad quarterbacks. Your view of the flavor of the day quarterback is naive and that of a fledgling fan of any sport. When something new arises it can look like a world beater because it hadn't been run with any permanence. Cam Newton was all the rage last year, this year, not so much, he'll have to change the way he plays to get back to the success he had his rookie campaign. The Wildcat was all the rage a few years back, DCs got the film out, studied and put a halt to that "flavor of the year", this year the athletic quarterback with passing skills enters the league and the college read option comes in vogue. The tape is out there now on the read option, if you believe that NFL DEs (43 defense) and OLBs (34 defense) are going to be fooled by the read option permanently you haven't been watching the NFL closely enough.

Ben had an outstanding year save for two lousy stinkin rotten plays and you act as if he's forgotten how to play football. I can't change your perception of Ben nor do I want to, you'll continue to espouse how Luck, RGII, Newton (probably), Wilson and Kaepernick are better than Ben and they may be some day, but none of them are right now.

Brees is home, Rogers played poorly, Manning (Peyton) made one stinkin rotten play in a game in which they were favored by close to double digits, Manning (Eli) couldn't get his team in the playoffs, Rivers is at home, Romo is at home after the Steelers gift wrapped their season for them he still managed to miss the playoffs, the list goes on and on.

Persoanlly, I can't wait to see how good defenses play against Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck and RGIII next year. They won't have the luxury of being the new kid on the block, there will be expectations, lets see if they can live up to them.

I'm certain Ben will have his 3800 - 4200 yards, 26 - 28 TDs, 6 - 8 INTs, because he's proven it over many years. I"m not certain that any of these guys will reach the heights they did this year. I hope they do, it will be good for the NFL, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

And, by the way, the only narrow minded thinking in this thread up to this point has been you, failing to even perceive any positive in Ben's play (current or past) while extolling the virtues of the "Wunderkinds" of this season. You're as myopic in an anti-Ben way as Crash is myopic in a Pro-Ben way; we'll see how it shakes out next year.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-15-2013 at 10:05 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't bet against Russell Wilson... he is the truth. He has everything Ben has except the big body and off field drama. LOL...

Not sure what it is about that kid but you know he is never out of a game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    So now Matt Ryan is better than Ben Roethlisberger, huh? Let us do compare their post-season performances...

Completion percentage

60.6% - Ben Roethlisberger
    64.8% - Matt Ryan

Passing yards per game

225.0 - Ben Roethlisberger
    208.5 - Matt Ryan

Yards per pass attempt

7.7 - Ben Roethlisberger
    5.8 - Matt Ryan

TD percentage

4.9% - Ben Roethlisberger
    4.1% - Matt Ryan

INT percentage

4.2% - Ben Roethlisberger
    4.1% - Matt Ryan

TD/INT ratio

1.18 - Ben Roethlisberger
    1.00 - Matt Ryan

Passer rating

83.7 - Ben Roethlisberger
    76.6 - Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan has the advantage in completion percentage and INT percentage. Ben Roethlisberger has the advantage in passing yards per game, yards per pass attempt, TD percentage, TD/INT ratio and passer rating. It's also worth noting that Matt Ryan, since he entered the league in 2008, has always had better weapons on offense than Roethlisberger has.

Michael Turner has 1,411 carries for 6,081 yards, 4.3 YPC and 60 TDs with the Falcons. In the same period of time, Rashard Mendenhall has 547 fewer carries, 2,532 fewer yards, 0.2 fewer YPC and 31 fewer TDs. And the Falcons currently have more reliable WRs (two) than the Steelers have ever had with Roethlisberger (one), plus a Hall-of-Fame TE. Poor Heath Miller was underutilized until Todd Haley arrived in Pittsburgh. And let's not even compare the Steelers offensive line to the Falcons offensive line -- either now or in the last five years -- because it's an insult to the Falcons offensive line.

Great, Roethlisberger has had a better defense, but he's never on the field with them. And it's painfully obvious that the 10 other players in the huddle with Matt Ryan have been markedly superior to the 10 players in the huddle with Roethlisberger in the last five seasons. A good defense can help a QB win more, but good weapons make a QB look better individually, and not only has Matt Ryan been given much better weapons, but Roethlisberger has had the worst weapons of any top-tier QB in the NFL in the last five years.
    The trouble with comparing these two QBs and their stats is that not every game is created equal. Consider that many of Ben's playoff games have been in locations such as Pittsburgh, New England, and Denver in January. 3 of Ryan's 4 games have been in ideal conditions. Ryan's games have been much more conducive to putting up numbers, yet his still fall short of Ben's.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing I think Ben may have lost is some of his "clutchness." That doesn't mean he can't still be great. I don't know if Tom Brady is especially "clutch"--he very rarely is involved in a close game where it's on his shoulders to pull it out at the end. Maybe the Steelers need to figure out a way to pile up big leads, so that they don't always have to depend on Ben to be "clutch."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'll take the 6'5" Roethlisberger over the 5' 11" Wilson any day.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion