Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Typical Knee-Jerk Off Season Reaction!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Typical Knee-Jerk Off Season Reaction!!

Cracks me up. What ever the current trend is during the post-season all of a sudden that has to be the way and only way to win in the NFL. Me personally I prefer the way the Steelers do things. It has worked pretty well for a long time.

And I've seen enough football to know how trends tend to come back around. They always do.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others. Same with the Steelers for the most part.

I heard someone say today the future of the QB is RGIII. Well if you want a gimpy QB in his 3rd year, then sure. These fads don't last long. Still comes down to basics and gimicks like the Wildcat are short lived.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others. Same with the Steelers for the most part.

I heard someone say today the future of the QB is RGIII. Well if you want a gimpy QB in his 3rd year, then sure. These fads don't last long. Still comes down to basics and gimicks like the Wildcat are short lived.
    Agreed! And I believe this read option that we are seeing now in the NFL isnt going to be as effective all that much longer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Agreed! And I believe this read option that we are seeing now in the NFL isnt going to be as effective all that much longer.
    Not only do I think it won't be effective, but wait until the DE that is being optioned starts whacking the quarterback whether he heas the ball or not, it will come to an end. That's one way to defend the read option, the DE takes the quarterback and lets his mates handle the RB and any potential receiving threat. RGIII isn't a real big guy, he'll only be able withstand so many hits from guys like JJ Watt, Kiesel, the Smiths form the 9ers, etc. They'll make plays like they did this year, but the beating will take a toll on them over time.

Just my opinion...

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Not only do I think it won't be effective, but wait until the DE that is being optioned starts whacking the quarterback whether he heas the ball or not, it will come to an end. That's one way to defend the read option, the DE takes the quarterback and lets his mates handle the RB and any potential receiving threat. RGIII isn't a real big guy, he'll only be able withstand so many hits from guys like JJ Watt, Kiesel, the Smiths form the 9ers, etc. They'll make plays like they did this year, but the beating will take a toll on them over time.

Just my opinion...

Pappy
    I agree. The QB has to be considered a runner and blasted everytime they can.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The "Steelers Way" isn't the problem. The Steelers didn't miss the playoffs because they are stuck in some Olde School mentality. Drafting 100 rookies & playing them 'just because' won't turn them into SB contenders next season.

What tends to get forgotten, or overlooked in the argument around playing rookies in a 'sink or swim' type environment is that for the teams throwing these rookies in, there's generally an opening for them due to having a weaker player there the previous year.

in other words- rookies start on crap teams because the crap teams already have crap players.

Now, there are exceptions to every rule. Yes, the Patriots make use of several rookies through a season. But the Patriots also have a lot of stability that gets overlooked too.

What we are seeing at the moment for the Steelers is 'rapid change' in the roster. The FO had previously decided to squeeze the orange dry on guys like Farrior, Ward, Smith, Hampton, Keisel, Starks, Polamalu, Clark, Miller, Harrison, Taylor, Hoke.. and fair enough- they pushed for an extra SB win instead of revamping. But that comes with a cost. Last season we lost Ward, Farrior, Smith & Hoke in 1 hit. That's 3 significant starters & 1 significant back-up that were replaced in 1 hit. We'll see more this year- probably Hampton, Starks & possibly Harrison or Foote. Then in a year's time probably Clark, or Polamalu, Taylor..

In other words- over the course of 3-4 years, this team will be revamped. That a young guy drafted last year isn't starting immediately does not mean the Steelers way isn't working. It's just a different way than some teams of achieving the same result. History tells us it isn't a bad way of doing it.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Just my opinion...

Pappy
    Yep! If you watch what Kaepernick did for the 49ers he really didn't do anything. It was more of the Packers not doing something. Almost every time the end or DB blitzing off the edge sucked in on the fake hand off inside and left Kaepernick all alone to run around the end. They had no contain what so ever. A major fail. This embarrassment is only going to go around so many times in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yep! If you watch what Kaepernick did for the 49ers he really didn't do anything. It was more of the Packers not doing something. Almost every time the end or DB blitzing off the edge sucked in on the fake hand off inside and left Kaepernick all alone to run around the end. They had no contain what so ever. A major fail. This embarrassment is only going to go around so many times in the NFL.
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, these guys (defensive ends) haven't had to defend this type of offense in their NFL careers, but now there's an entire year's worth of tape on these guys. I certainly think that the defenses will tkae a look at the tape without having to prepare a game plan and find tendencies, tells from the linemen, backs and even QBs and be able to defend this offense in the upcoming year a lot more effectively. The Steelers defended it well this year against the Skins.

It's just a matter of time, the more the NFL changes the more it stays the same. Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson (to a degree) they will all have to be able to beat you form the pocket before their careers are over and I hope for their sake that their careers don't end before they really get started.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Belichek doesn't copy people but he has a system that allows players to step in and contribute immediately. The commentators commented yesterday that one of the reasons for their continued success is that Belichek gets every player into every game so when they are called upon they are ready to go because they have game experience. They don't watch and learn like too many Steelers players do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others.
    Except Chip Kelly...