Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: The Typical Knee-Jerk Off Season Reaction!!

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587

    The Typical Knee-Jerk Off Season Reaction!!

    Cracks me up. What ever the current trend is during the post-season all of a sudden that has to be the way and only way to win in the NFL. Me personally I prefer the way the Steelers do things. It has worked pretty well for a long time.

    And I've seen enough football to know how trends tend to come back around. They always do.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 01-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,683
    Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others. Same with the Steelers for the most part.

    I heard someone say today the future of the QB is RGIII. Well if you want a gimpy QB in his 3rd year, then sure. These fads don't last long. Still comes down to basics and gimicks like the Wildcat are short lived.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,729
    Complacency will be the end of our continued success because the league has changed and doing things "the Steelers way" won't work going forward.

    We can't wait 2-3 years to get a defensive player trained up and then be forced to lock them into big second contracts. It ties up too much of the cap. We need a system that allows players to come in, learn fast and contribute fast.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others. Same with the Steelers for the most part.

    I heard someone say today the future of the QB is RGIII. Well if you want a gimpy QB in his 3rd year, then sure. These fads don't last long. Still comes down to basics and gimicks like the Wildcat are short lived.
    Agreed! And I believe this read option that we are seeing now in the NFL isnt going to be as effective all that much longer.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  5. #5
    Jerk off reaction is right!!

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Bellichek has continued to win b/c he doesn't copycat others. Same with the Steelers for the most part.

    I heard someone say today the future of the QB is RGIII. Well if you want a gimpy QB in his 3rd year, then sure. These fads don't last long. Still comes down to basics and gimicks like the Wildcat are short lived.
    Belichek doesn't copy people but he has a system that allows players to step in and contribute immediately. The commentators commented yesterday that one of the reasons for their continued success is that Belichek gets every player into every game so when they are called upon they are ready to go because they have game experience. They don't watch and learn like too many Steelers players do.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Complacency will be the end of our continued success because the league has changed and doing things "the Steelers way" won't work going forward.

    We can't wait 2-3 years to get a defensive player trained up and then be forced to lock them into big second contracts. It ties up too much of the cap. We need a system that allows players to come in, learn fast and contribute fast.
    Ovi, I think you forget a very valuable piece to this. Where the Steelers have been typically drafting the past 15 years or so. The players that they have been getting for the most part (but not always), on defense have been in the back end of round one. You can bet a Rod Woodson comes in on day one and starts.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Strong! As in....

    1-Jaelen Strong WR Arizona State

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ovi, I think you forget a very valuable piece to this. Where the Steelers have been typically drafting the past 15 years or so. The players that they have been getting for the most part (but not always), on defense have been in the back end of round one. You can bet a Rod Woodson comes in on day one and starts.
    Well said, Dub.

    It's been pointed out time and again on this board that rookies play on defense when their talent merits that they play. Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell both started as rookies. Cortez Allen got more significant reps as a rookie and second year player because he showed that he was ready.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,353
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Well said, Dub.

    It's been pointed out time and again on this board that rookies play on defense when their talent merits that they play. Casey Hampton and Kendrell Bell both started as rookies. Cortez Allen got more significant reps as a rookie and second year player because he showed that he was ready.
    Yay... 10 to 15 years ago we let a few rookies get on the field and outplay some vets. This is precisely why people keep bringing it up... I know the D ranks high every year but it's fools gold. I would much rather knock down a few spots to pick up a ball hawking CB who gets burned from time to time. I would love to see our front 7 sack and blitz the crap (literally) out of a QB. I would love to see a guy like McClendon who struggles vs the run still get increased playing time because it's a passing league and the %'s still favor his strength...

    I don't want a coaching staff who has to wait for a player to be ready to put him on the field. Throw him out there and see... if not, move on. Sure we will miss on a few but we won't spend years developing scrubs who can't hack it once called upon. Troy wasn't ready... but he showed some flashes his first year. I'm sure a few other players would do the same. I'd take that over the slower vets who know the Encyclapedefensive play book front to back but can't keep up with the youngins...

    As far as offense is concerned... is the read option a gimmick? Sure is if it's your base offense but if you run it 5 times a game as a trick/wrinkle play it works. These new QB's can run AND pass the ball well. We better take notice because Tim FREAKING TEBOW beat us with that gimmick offense... and who knows how close the Redskin game would be if the open WR's didn't drop a million passes. I didn't even add the other 4 we defended because that was good D.

    The game is changing fellas and whether it's uptempo, less running up the middle, more stretch plays, more WR's in the draft or smaller RB's... we need to get on board. There was a time when we set the trend by drafting strong, having a strong OL, the blitzburgh D, running a 3-4 and drafting WR's who played QB in college. Now we draft finess guys who can't stay healthy or figure out how to run around our lineman instead of running into them.

    We stopped setting the trends and now all we do is make sure we don't change. We were 8-8 fellas... sitting on the couch talking crap about the teams that are left is like sitting down at the school dance laughing at the guy dancing with the hot chick.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-14-2013 at 04:28 PM.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yay... 10 to 15 years ago we let a few rookies get on the field and outplay some vets. This is precisely why people keep bringing it up... I know the D ranks high every year but it's fools gold. I would much rather knock down a few spots to pick up a ball hawking CB who gets burned from time to time. I would love to see our front 7 sack and blitz the crap (literally) out of a QB. I would love to see a guy like McClendon who struggles vs the run still get increased playing time because it's a passing league and the %'s still favor his strength...

    I don't want a coaching staff who has to wait for a player to be ready to put him on the field. Throw him out there and see... if not, move on. Sure we will miss on a few but we won't spend years developing scrubs who can't hack it once called upon. Troy wasn't ready... but he showed some flashes his first year. I'm sure a few other players would do the same. I'd take that over the slower vets who know the Encyclapedefensive play book front to back but can't keep up with the youngins...

    As far as offense is concerned... is the read option a gimmick? Sure is if it's your base offense but if you run it 5 times a game as a trick/wrinkle play it works. These new QB's can run AND pass the ball well. We better take notice because Tim FREAKING TEBOW beat us with that gimmick offense... and who knows how close the Redskin game would be if the open WR's didn't drop a million passes. I didn't even add the other 4 we defended because that was good D.

    The game is changing fellas and whether it's uptempo, less running up the middle, more stretch plays, more WR's in the draft or smaller RB's... we need to get on board. There was a time when we set the trend by drafting strong, having a strong OL, the blitzburgh D, running a 3-4 and drafting WR's who played QB in college. Now we draft finess guys who can't stay healthy or figure out how to run around our lineman instead of running into them.

    We stopped setting the trends and now all we do is make sure we don't change. We were 8-8 fellas... sitting on the couch talking crap about the teams that are left is like sitting down at the school dance laughing at the guy dancing with the hot chick.
    Well said by a wise man who both looks and actually sees and isn't emotionally tied to the past

    I too remember when we were the ones who innovated and set the trends.

    As you say, all we want to do now is make sure we keep doing this "the Steelers way." We can't have a few people holding on to something because they made their name by inventing it or have achieved past succeses. That is going to be an end of our success unless we change and make people react to us versus us just worrying about being the same when the same doesn't matter anymore.

    If in fact Art II dictated more running then he set us back years because we saw how that turned out. You can never relive the past.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-14-2013 at 04:36 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •