Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: The Typical Knee-Jerk Off Season Reaction!!

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well said by a wise man who both looks and actually sees and isn't emotionally tied to the past

    I too remember when we were the ones who innovated and set the trends.

    As you say, all we want to do now is make sure we keep doing this "the Steelers way." We can't have a few people holding on to something because they made their name by inventing it or have achieved past succeses. That is going to be an end of our success unless we change and make people react to us versus us just worrying about being the same when the same doesn't matter anymore.

    If in fact Art II dictated more running then he set us back years because we saw how that turned out. You can never relive the past.
    well in his defense he said more effective but it's still moving the clock back IMO. That is one area where I agree with Wreck...

    I'm not an expert... didn't play D1 but dammit I grew up around a lot of people who did in Western PA and I'm seeing much better production and execution from a lot of teams in the NFL. Our O looks pedestrian, out dated and clunky....

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,199
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well in his defense he said more effective but it's still moving the clock back IMO. That is one area where I agree with Wreck...

    I'm not an expert... didn't play D1 but dammit I grew up around a lot of people who did in Western PA and I'm seeing much better production and execution from a lot of teams in the NFL. Our O looks pedestrian, out dated and clunky....
    Fix the OL. How many times did the winning QBs face pressure this past weekend? A few sacks but on most pass plays and run plays the OL won. Ours never does. Need more talent on the OL or we will waste Ben's last five years.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Fix the OL. How many times did the winning QBs face pressure this past weekend? A few sacks but on most pass plays and run plays the OL won. Ours never does. Need more talent on the OL or we will waste Ben's last five years.
    Running backs as well... look at our big azz babies. Always hurt or hobbled after a 5 yard gain. Maybe it's my HD but I swore every team had a guy the size of Rainey and they ran with power and ran through arm tackles. Do we really need another slow 270 pound RB on our roster?

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Jerk off reaction is right!!
    QFT.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  5. #15
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Agreed! And I believe this read option that we are seeing now in the NFL isnt going to be as effective all that much longer.
    Not only do I think it won't be effective, but wait until the DE that is being optioned starts whacking the quarterback whether he heas the ball or not, it will come to an end. That's one way to defend the read option, the DE takes the quarterback and lets his mates handle the RB and any potential receiving threat. RGIII isn't a real big guy, he'll only be able withstand so many hits from guys like JJ Watt, Kiesel, the Smiths form the 9ers, etc. They'll make plays like they did this year, but the beating will take a toll on them over time.

    Just my opinion...

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  6. #16
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,199
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Not only do I think it won't be effective, but wait until the DE that is being optioned starts whacking the quarterback whether he heas the ball or not, it will come to an end. That's one way to defend the read option, the DE takes the quarterback and lets his mates handle the RB and any potential receiving threat. RGIII isn't a real big guy, he'll only be able withstand so many hits from guys like JJ Watt, Kiesel, the Smiths form the 9ers, etc. They'll make plays like they did this year, but the beating will take a toll on them over time.

    Just my opinion...

    Pappy
    I agree. The QB has to be considered a runner and blasted everytime they can.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Not only do I think it won't be effective, but wait until the DE that is being optioned starts whacking the quarterback whether he heas the ball or not, it will come to an end. That's one way to defend the read option, the DE takes the quarterback and lets his mates handle the RB and any potential receiving threat. RGIII isn't a real big guy, he'll only be able withstand so many hits from guys like JJ Watt, Kiesel, the Smiths form the 9ers, etc. They'll make plays like they did this year, but the beating will take a toll on them over time.

    Just my opinion...

    Pappy
    Yep! If you watch what Kaepernick did for the 49ers he really didn't do anything. It was more of the Packers not doing something. Almost every time the end or DB blitzing off the edge sucked in on the fake hand off inside and left Kaepernick all alone to run around the end. They had no contain what so ever. A major fail. This embarrassment is only going to go around so many times in the NFL.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  8. #18
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yep! If you watch what Kaepernick did for the 49ers he really didn't do anything. It was more of the Packers not doing something. Almost every time the end or DB blitzing off the edge sucked in on the fake hand off inside and left Kaepernick all alone to run around the end. They had no contain what so ever. A major fail. This embarrassment is only going to go around so many times in the NFL.
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, these guys (defensive ends) haven't had to defend this type of offense in their NFL careers, but now there's an entire year's worth of tape on these guys. I certainly think that the defenses will tkae a look at the tape without having to prepare a game plan and find tendencies, tells from the linemen, backs and even QBs and be able to defend this offense in the upcoming year a lot more effectively. The Steelers defended it well this year against the Skins.

    It's just a matter of time, the more the NFL changes the more it stays the same. Kaepernick, RGIII, Wilson (to a degree) they will all have to be able to beat you form the pocket before their careers are over and I hope for their sake that their careers don't end before they really get started.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,199
    So when the offense is successful it is because the defense didn't do something. When the offense fails it is because they are bad. How about the option that offenses can do more things than any defense can counter because of rule changes. I vote for that one because it isn't prejudiced by a defense first and always point of view.

    The league has made offenses preeminent because of specific rule changes. Defenses just can't really counter that anymore so you need to optimize your offensive performance to be successful.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer fezziwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Complacency will be the end of our continued success because the league has changed and doing things "the Steelers way" won't work going forward.

    We can't wait 2-3 years to get a defensive player trained up and then be forced to lock them into big second contracts. It ties up too much of the cap. We need a system that allows players to come in, learn fast and contribute fast.

    I agree, the Steelers take such a long time to develope a player or waiting for a guy to come of age, the cycle never ends and we never have a group/unit that is firing on all cylinders at the same time. When they have got the guy where they want him is contract is usally due by now and not only have they paid this guy to learn, they now owe him big bucks if they want to keep him. Believe it or not, they're usually not worth the money after a season or two if the team is that lucky.

    Does this sound like anyone we know ?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •