Thread: Clues to who the Steelers will draft by Position

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Clues to who the Steelers will draft by Position

Many of us have some selections down on paper, but the question is what position will they deem most important because of the circumstances they are faced with.

1. James Harrison:

Because of his age, and more his salary he might not be in the Steelers plans in 2013. We would hate to see him go as he is a fan favorite but they can't afford to pay him what he's making.

Clue: OLB will be a priority if James leaves so my guess is either the first or second round they draft that position.
    Barkevious Mingo was mentioned but they could have another name in mind so we'll see.

2. We are hearing Starks, Colon, and Foster will probably play eleswhere next season, if that's the case, we replace them, but where is our depth for the O-line? We'll need to draft for depth, maybe not in the early rounds but it will have to be addressed.

3. TE Heath Miller:

We don't know if he will be ready for the 2013 season as he has a serious injury that will take a lot of time to heal, so all of a sudden the TE position becomes a need position. Not only that but Heath's contract will be up in 2014 I think so we'll need to groom a replacement.

4. Safety:
    This position is on the radar, we'll need a safety to groom but what round? I only think we take a safety early if he is the BPA, because of our immediate needs.

WR:
    I'm guessing we'll draft one but not early as we have more pressing needs to fill in the short term.

RB: This is another position we will look to fill, but again other positions are needed that might supercede RB.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
    OLB

OL

TE

SAFETY

ILB

WR

RB

These are the positions that need filled but not in any paticular order. I left QB out of the picks because its not an immediate need, they probably will just look for an undrafted QB to fill a roster spot, same with a Punter either FA or keep Butler.

If the Steelers take another approach from the positions I mentioned, they may be looking at the long term and hope to fill a team thats competitve in the short term.
    Some big names are being considered that will impact our roster, like Silverback, Starks,Colon,Foster,Wallace, Mendy and possibly Foote. Out of all of them I think we keep Foote one more year. He'll play for less and we don't have a replacement for him yet so a good chance he stays.

It was going to come down to this folks at some point, we can't keep players forever no matter how good they are, just ask Joey Porter, Rod Woodson to name a few.
    We're into the second phase of a transition, the first was when we lost Hoke, Farrior, Hines,Smith. Its difficult to maintain a core group of players, you just hope the new guys coming in can fill the void.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-14-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Give Chadman some time. Once the Off-Season Analysis thread kicks into gear, we'll take a look at clues to which way they'll go...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Your on the clock Chadman

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why wouldnt Heath be ready for the start of next season? Look around the league at the same injury and see how long it has taken those to return. He'll be ready.

No offense but your thought process is exactly how we see it from Steeler fans every off season. But that isnt how the Steelers draft. More important to them than depth is best player on the board.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Why wouldnt Heath be ready for the start of next season? Look around the league at the same injury and see how long it has taken those to return. He'll be ready.

No offense but your thought process is exactly how we see it from Steeler fans every off season. But that isnt how the Steelers draft. More important to them than depth is best player on the board.
    I agree.

And further, the original post basically lists every position as a need EXCEPT QB, DL, and CB. Besides QB, we could draft any of those positions as well in the first round. So basically, anything will be on the table for the Steelers if the player is right.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I agree.

And further, the original post basically lists every position as a need EXCEPT QB, DL, and CB. Besides QB, we could draft any of those positions as well in the first round. So basically, anything will be on the table for the Steelers if the player is right.
    Needs to be on the offensive side of the ball. Offense wins games. We saw that this past weekend.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thats because I'm assuming we sign Keenan Lewis, and this draft isn't loaded with QB'S like the last few year. I liked NT as my pick early but with the sighning of fangupo and Mclendon here that position might have to wait. There are other factors involved, who we keep and let go might determine who we draft.

If James Harrison can't be signed that position becomes a priority, Carter isn't the answer and no one else on that roster except Worlids but he backs up Woodley on the other side.
    There is no QB in this draft worth taking in the first two rounds to sit on the bench waiting for an injury to happen in order to play. I would like a QB too for the future, but in all likelyhood the top QB's will be gone when we draft.

RB,WR can be had in the rounds below two, I don't think the Steelers take a back or WR in the top two rounds because they can get them later in the draft.
    Look, we're not going to solve all our issues in one draft even with good picks, it takes time for the most part to develope their talent unless your name is Pouncey. how many Pouncey's are out there?

The reality is, if we want to be a playoff team immediate help is needed, if we what the BPA no matter what the position is then use this draft for the near future. Problem is if we don't get the need players now don't expect that 8-8 record to change much.
    The other reality is we are dealing with uncertainty, how well will Gilbert play LT, they plan to possibly move Beachum to LG, how will that work out?
    Losing Mike Wallace, Mendy, possibly Harrison, Colon, Starks, and Foster will contribute to more uncertainty especially on that O-line.
    Everyone is looking at the offensive side of the ball and I don't blame them, when you can only average 21 points a game in this era, that ain't doing it. Ben is the most important part of that offense, he needs a solid group up front to get the most out of the QB position that they invested in, if he doesn't get it more of the same to come.

We could speculate on any position here, to get a better idea we need to know who will be here and who gets the pink slip, that there alone will dictate who they draft probably..
    Hey, I'll take any position that will improve our team even if its for the long term, but we still have a good team that a few additions might get us over the hump

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think OL will be as big of a need this year. I just don't agree. We need defense this year. Safety and Line Backer help. WR, TE and RB. And we will take a CB as well.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I don't think OL will be as big of a need this year. I just don't agree. We need defense this year. Safety and Line Backer help. WR, TE and RB. And we will take a CB as well.
    And that is the philosophy that will ensure that this time next year we are talking about how the offense failed and that is why we aren't in the play offs. However we will be able to say we have a Top 5 defense which will be meaningless.

I understand that the defense is in our collective DNAs and it is what we were all raised to believe that is what the Steelers are about, but the league has changed and we need to change with it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"