Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to defense in the playoffs?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    The days of winning playoffs or Superbowl with a low score is gone..If you cannot score touchdowns then
    you better pack your bags..
    In this era of the NFL I agree, you need a good offense to get to the SB, but you still need a good defense to win it

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Defense still wins Championships.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    reason why our draft needs to be offense heavy
    Yep. Defense matters less in today's NFL so we need to quit putting the majority of the investment on that side of the ball.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yep. Defense matters less in today's NFL so we need to quit putting the majority of the investment on that side of the ball.
    Defense does matter...you can see what a lack of gap integrity did to the Green Bay Packers...you can also see how a lack of sound play by defensive backs ended up costing the Broncos their game...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Defense does matter...you can see what a lack of gap integrity did to the Green Bay Packers...you can also see how a lack of sound play by defensive backs ended up costing the Broncos their game...
    Sorry. Every "talking head" on ESPN today has touched on this subject. The universal recognition is that defense means much less now. What is far more important is having a quick strike offense that can keep piling on. Several of the ESPN "experts" cited where when teams went passive to try to perserve a lead that is when they got into trouble--sound familiar.

They said running the ball to consume time doesn't work because the oppoenent can strike too quickly and you can't stop them because of the rules.

What this means to us is that we have to protect Ben at all costs because he is our quick strike. We need to add bodies and improve the offense and it is OK if the defense is just middle of the road as long as we can score. That starts with improving the OL, adding a pass catching TE and another WR. It doesn't start with another Nose Tackle.

IMO the other thing I saw this weekend is you need your DBs to play the ball, not "tackle the catch." Attack the ball and get the turnover.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sorry. Every "talking head" on ESPN today has touched on this subject. The universal recognition is that defense means much less now. What is far more important is having a quick strike offense that can keep piling on. Several of the ESPN "experts" cited where when teams went passive to try to perserve a lead that is when they got into trouble--sound familiar.

They said running the ball to consume time doesn't work because the oppoenent can strike too quickly and you can't stop them because of the rules.

What this means to us is that we have to protect Ben at all costs because he is our quick strike. We need to add bodies and improve the offense and it is OK if the defense is just middle of the road as long as we can score. That starts with improving the OL, adding a pass catching TE and another WR. It doesn't start with another Nose Tackle.

IMO the other thing I saw this weekend is you need your DBs to play the ball, not "tackle the catch." Attack the ball and get the turnover.
    If ESPN says it, then the opposite is probably true...

BTW, if the Broncos DBs were in position to make a tackle, they would be hosting the Patriots on Sunday...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If ESPN says it, then the opposite is probably true...

BTW, if the Broncos DBs were in position to make a tackle, they would be hosting the Patriots on Sunday...
    Understand it may be hard emotionally for Steelers fans to embrace the notion of "diminished defense" but until we do we won't win another championship. We can't tie up 60%+ of our salary cap on the defensive side of the ball and then complain about the offense not doing good enough. Evolve or die!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Understand it may be hard emotionally for Steelers fans to embrace the notion of "diminished defense" but until we do we won't win another championship. We can't tie up 60%+ of our salary cap on the defensive side of the ball and then complain about the offense not doing good enough. Evolve or die!
    Emotional nothing...I'm just going by what I saw over the weekend...

Colin Kaepernick is a great athlete, but there is no reason that he should be running for a buck sixty and 2 TDs...unless you are playing undisciplined defense...

The Ravens wide receivers are not particularly scary for the most part, but when you let them get behind you, they will score...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think what this goes to show us is the Steelers defense is much better than it was given credit for. I mean, look at that Seattle defense, right after the offense scores it lets the Falcons score. I thought it was only the Steelers defense that did that. Then there is the Denver defense. Twice it let the Ratbirds come from behind in the 4th quarter.

You guys can point to the rankings of those defenses (4th and 2nd respectively) all you want but that doesn't matter. I don't care about rankings ... I just care about turnovers and sacks. Well wait a minute, Denver had 52 sacks on the year and Seattle got 31 turnovers and they both still got torched.

I'm so confused. What really makes a good defense? Is it turnovers? or yardage? or sacks? or points against?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I think what this goes to show us is the Steelers defense is much better than it was given credit for. I mean, look at that Seattle defense, right after the offense scores it lets the Falcons score. I thought it was only the Steelers defense that did that. Then there is the Denver defense. Twice it let the Ratbirds come from behind in the 4th quarter.

You guys can point to the rankings of those defenses (4th and 2nd respectively) all you want but that doesn't matter. I don't care about rankings ... I just care about turnovers and sacks. Well wait a minute, Denver had 52 sacks on the year and Seattle got 31 turnovers and they both still got torched.

I'm so confused. What really makes a good defense? Is it turnovers? or yardage? or sacks? or points against?
    Your confusion confirms that defense doesn't matter because the league has rules in place that allow any offense to overcome a defense, no matter how good.