Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: What happened to defense in the playoffs?

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Your confusion confirms that defense doesn't matter because the league has rules in place that allow any offense to overcome a defense, no matter how good.
    O, I think we are in agreement on how to improve this team. We need some big uglies on the offensive line that can play together and stay healthy. That will improve the running game, the passing game, and points scored.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Your confusion confirms that defense doesn't matter because the league has rules in place that allow any offense to overcome a defense, no matter how good.
    ...if that defense plays poorly...

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...if that defense plays poorly...
    The defense will play poorly because the rules will enable the offense to overwhelm them. WRs will have match up advanatages because DBs can't touch them. The OL has an advanatage because holding is not called in passing situations. The league wants 35-31 games and as the play offs show when good teams play each other that is going to be the norm.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The defense will play poorly because the rules will enable the offense to overwhelm them. WRs will have match up advanatages because DBs can't touch them. The OL has an advanatage because holding is not called in passing situations. The league wants 35-31 games and as the play offs show when good teams play each other that is going to be the norm.e
    Kaepernick didn't run for 160 yards and two TDs because the rules allowed it...he did it because the Packers played undisciplined defense...

    The Ravens didn't come back against the Broncos because of the rules...they came back because the Broncos played poor defense...

    Last year, the Broncos didn't beat the Steelers in overtime because of the rules...you know why the Steelers lost...

  5. #25
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If ESPN says it, then the opposite is probably true...

    BTW, if the Broncos DBs were in position to make a tackle, they would be hosting the Patriots on Sunday...
    LOL.. I agree... they love the quick strike O but part of that is due to bad D so it does matter. RANKINGS don't matter on D... you don't have to be the best at everything on D to win in the NFL.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,846
    Last I checked, football is played on two sides of the ball. You can't ignore half the game and expect to win consistently. Yeah, maybe if all falls just right a team can grab a title with weakness on one side, but they won't likely get back to the Bowl as a repeat.

  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,812
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Last I checked, football is played on two sides of the ball. You can't ignore half the game and expect to win consistently. Yeah, maybe if all falls just right a team can grab a title with weakness on one side, but they won't likely get back to the Bowl as a repeat.
    You could be solid in all three phases and the chances of repeating are slim. I think you can get away with sub par defense if the offense is on fire. Getting TO's and being strong in the red zone trump scoring and yardage rankings on D.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You could be solid in all three phases and the chances of repeating are slim. I think you can get away with sub par defense if the offense is on fire. Getting TO's and being strong in the red zone trump scoring and yardage rankings on D.
    Again, I disagree...the deciding scores for San Fran and Baltimore weren't red zone scores...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •