Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why Can't the Steelers............

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Since the last Patriots SB win we have been 3 times and won twice, they have been twice and lost twice. So the h*** with individual success and focus on team success, which means we haven't been diong too bad lately. I agree we need to stabalize both lines and get some pressure (speed) on the Qb. Start the offseason by letting Wallace (asking too much) go and draft his replacement early (2nd 0r 3rd).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bowldog View Post
    Since the last Patriots SB win we have been 3 times and won twice, they have been twice and lost twice. So the h*** with individual success and focus on team success, which means we haven't been diong too bad lately. I agree we need to stabalize both lines and get some pressure (speed) on the Qb. Start the offseason by letting Wallace (asking too much) go and draft his replacement early (2nd 0r 3rd).
    but they have been stomping teams left and right...I don't really see how losing SB's is an "aha, we got you" moment. The Pats are head and shoulders above the league and I would love to be with them. We have 2 rings but we also didn't play them and played 2 of the most suspect SB contenders in recent history and neither was a cake walk.

Is it really too much to ask for a win by 14 points vs a quality opponent?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    but they have been stomping teams left and right...I don't really see how losing SB's is an "aha, we got you" moment. The Pats are head and shoulders above the league and I would love to be with them. We have 2 rings but we also didn't play them and played 2 of the most suspect SB contenders in recent history and neither was a cake walk.

Is it really too much to ask for a win by 14 points vs a quality opponent?
    It isn't too much to ask if a team has a dominant OL. The pats OL isn't dominant but they are so much better than ours it is silly and that is why they are going to the AFC championship game. BTW same for the Ravens. They have invested in OL and that is why they can both pass and run.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

but my question is did other teams as well and this is why he fell to us? Just feels like every year it's "awesome.. we got a steal in the draft, he fell to us" and then 2 years later we realize why they fell.

Too early for Decastro but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't pan out or reach the level we expected.
    Fair point, and I get what you're saying.

DeCastro seemed to be more of a player sliding as a result of other teams reaching - there was a big run on pass rushers in the mid-late teens and early 20s.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Yes & no. The Steelers have a long history of getting it right...

Success isn't generally about luck. It's about facing hurdles & knowing how to overcome them. The 'knowing' part is the hard part- the bit that causes the most pain- because generally to get to 'knowing' the right way- you have to learn it from doing it the wrong way.
    Success comes from good decisions.
    Good decisions come from experience.
    Experience comes from bad decisions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Exactly! Couldn't have said it better.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Starter

User Info Menu

I have enjoyed reading this thread - the comments, whether praise or criticism, have been fair-minded.

With respect to Belichick and his early career - I think he was doing a decent job in Cleveland, but got torpedoed by Modell and the moving of the franchise to Baltimore. That basically wiped out any chance of doing well in his final season as the coach of the Browns. That's not to say he didn't make some mistakes - he certainly didn't work well with the media, and he probably could have handled the Kosar/Testaverde QB transition better.

But as has been said here, experience, especially the experience of failure, is something that goes into learning how to succeed.

And it's not as if there aren't other great coaches and well-run franchises out there. If a team doesn't win it all, or misses the playoffs, that doesn't mean it's time to blow things up. Likewise, losing a couple of competitive Super Bowls in the last minute, or a conference championship game in a similar fashion, is not an indication of incompetence. It actually means you're competing at the highest levels of the sport - on that one day, the other team made one more play than you did.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

you tend to forget the misses because they hit so many of them out of the park.
    I looked at their entire drafts of the last decade or so; they simply did draft well and have very few 1-2 round misses to speak of.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    I have enjoyed reading this thread - the comments, whether praise or criticism, have been fair-minded.

With respect to Belichick and his early career - I think he was doing a decent job in Cleveland, but got torpedoed by Modell and the moving of the franchise to Baltimore. That basically wiped out any chance of doing well in his final season as the coach of the Browns. That's not to say he didn't make some mistakes - he certainly didn't work well with the media, and he probably could have handled the Kosar/Testaverde QB transition better.

But as has been said here, experience, especially the experience of failure, is something that goes into learning how to succeed.

And it's not as if there aren't other great coaches and well-run franchises out there. If a team doesn't win it all, or misses the playoffs, that doesn't mean it's time to blow things up. Likewise, losing a couple of competitive Super Bowls in the last minute, or a conference championship game in a similar fashion, is not an indication of incompetence. It actually means you're competing at the highest levels of the sport - on that one day, the other team made one more play than you did.
    Belichick had the Browns in the play offs....the _BROWNS_. That is an accomplishment in itself, so he wasn't doing so poorly. But one of his admitted mistakes while in Cleveland was he thought having a personal relationship with the players was not necessary to make a champion. He found out human beings just don't work that way. If a coach never speaks to them, other than to instruct them, players will tend to not give full effort. They want to feel like they have somewhat of a connection to the head coach and don't want to be treated as robots. Ever since the Browns gig, BB does invest some time in his relationship with the players, even though you won't see examples of it during a televised game. For instance, at their first Super Bowl, a veteran player was complaining that a rookie had a better hotel room. The old BB would have told him to shut the freak up and deal with it. The new, wiser BB threw him his own room keys and said, "I don't need a room with a kitchen in it; what the hell do I care" and switched rooms with the vet (I think it was Ty Law or Lawyer Malloy - one of those law guys.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    But foolish people will not learn from their mistakes. Cowher had trouble learning from his; we will see if Tomlin can.