Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Appreciate the HOF QB we have people

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Peyton is a chocker at his core.
    Goes back to COLLEGE people.

Lost EVERY BIG GAME at UT, unstoppable otherwise.

People thought he carried UT until Tee stinkin MARTIN took Peytons team to the national championship.
    That said, do we overrate how clutch Ben is?
    He choked big time in the first SB. Ben's got 2 rings true but there is no question it was DESPITE Ben we won that 1st SB (he did have a GREAT playoff to get us there).

NOD was GREAT in his SB compared to Ben in his first one.
    Had our Seattle been a great team like that Cowboys team we would have gotten smoked.
    Were it not for a record run by Willie and the best pass of the day by ARE, we lose EASY.

He was young so he gets a pass.
    But can we give him that win to make a case FOR him as being clutch. No, not by a longshot.
    You cant say he is clutch because he got 2 rings.

Ben was clutch in one of three SBs. VERY CLUTCH for one drive.

But outside of ONE DRIVE he was outplayed by the opposing QB in all three SBs. One can make the case that Warner was better throughout. Ben just had the ball last with time.

With recent letdowns I no longer consider Ben to be as clutch as I once did.

How many of you were SURE he was gonna get it done against the Packers on the last drive.
    I sure was confident.

Ben CAN BE clutch, but I dont expect it, like I used to.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 01-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Cap and applaud you quoting yourself so I won't do it...

I'm a big UT fan and went there as a freshman... Manning NEVER beat Florida and this is why I always thought Eli was better because he made more with less at Ole Miss.

Peyton is good but he tends to pass himself out of most playoff games. The one year he won it he had pedestrian numbers and handed the ball off. Probably need to thank the rain and a horrible Chicago offense for that win.

As far as Ben is concerned I agree 100%. In the last SB when we got the ball back I KNEW Ben would lead us down the field... and then poof.. it was over. It almost felt like he ignored Hines on purpose but that's another story. Can't understand how you don't go to the clutch possession WR on that last drive but oh well... I've always said we lucked up and played some stinky teams in SB's and outside of the drive Ben has been uuuugly in the SB. Sure he had 2 or 3 plays but the majority of them were ugly Ben. Looking forward I'm not feeling to good about 4th quarter Ben.

Flacco... yep, I said it, FLACCO.. you better get used to this unibrowed fellow. 7-4 in the playoffs and outplayed Brady last year. If it wasn't for a dropped TD and a missed FG who knows... now this guy is back in ANOTHER freaking AFCCG and pulled off a miracle win with a 70 yard bomb. Is anyone at ESPN or NFLN watching this unibrow? Whether you like him or not... and I don't.. you gotta give the guy props because he is throwing some jewels downfield. If Manning threw that game winning bomb they would have canceled the SB.

Someone said Flacco predicted we would NEVER win the AFC North again as long as he was the QB. I laughed it off... but we haven't won it and the predictions of looking old, done, on the decline by all the "haters" seems to ring true.

A lot of this is frustration for a season lost but you can't tell me you aren't concerned with Ben's play lately. Even with an MVP first half we lost to Oakland and Tennessee. Is Ben our guy... yes he is. Is he Mr. Clutch? Ionno

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cap-Lem, I agree. I'm still glad we have him, I believe he deserves the HOF induction someday but, I'm not going to say Ben isn't without flaws. I'm greatful that he is our quarterback and I'll continue to support him and cheer him on and place my faith in him.