Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerome Bettis and Kevin Greene among the 15 finalists for the Hall of Fame

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerome Bettis and Kevin Greene among the 15 finalists for the Hall of Fame

Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists announced
    Posted by Darin Gantt on January 11, 2013, 9:34 AM EST

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its list of 15 finalists Friday morning, a group which will be whittled to no more than five inductees the day before the Super Bowl.

The group includes four first-time eligible nominees: Guard Larry Allen, tackle Jonathan Ogden, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and defensive end Michael Strahan.

It also includes last year’s 10 finalists who missed the final cut: Running back Jerome Bettis, wide receivers Tim Brown, Cris Carter and Andre Reed, guard Will Shields, defensive end Charles Haley, linebacker Kevin Greene, cornerback Aeneas Williams along with Bill Parcells and Ed DeBartolo, Jr.

The 15th finalist is former Browns owner Art Modell.
    That means the 12 semifinalists (it’s normally 10, but two extras advanced on ties) who did not advance included: Kicker Morten Andersen, safety John Lynch, cornerback Albert Lewis, safety Steve Atwater, coach Don Coryell, running backs Roger Craig and Terrell Davis, tackle Joe Jacoby, linebacker Karl Mecklenburg, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, special teamer Steve Tasker and executive George Young.

Two senior nominees — former Chiefs and Oilers nose tackle Curley Culp and former Packers and Redskins linebacker Dave Robinson— are voted upon separately, for a maximum class of seven.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/pro-football-hall-of-fame-finalists-announced/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thats a solid group again. Would not surprise me if JB has to wait another year. I would like to see some receivers finally get their due. Tim Brown and Andre Reed were two of the most exciting players of their era, and either one could take it to the house at any given time (Brown 105, Reed 87 TDs).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Thats a solid group again. Would not surprise me if JB has to wait another year. I would like to see some receivers finally get their due. Tim Brown and Andre Reed were two of the most exciting players of their era, and either one could take it to the house at any given time (Brown 105, Reed 87 TDs).
    Charles Haley is the one who should be in before all others... that he is still left waiting/wanting is ridiculous. Considering that, along with names like CC & AR, JB should wait.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Charles Haley is the one who should be in before all others... that he is still left waiting/wanting is ridiculous. Considering that, along with names like CC & AR, JB should wait.

I agree, he was a great player for the 49ers and Dallas, he has what 4 or five SB rings?

As for Jerome, I think he gets in this time. I remember the game where the Steelers were playing the Rams when Jerome played for them. He ran all over us, then in 96 I think we signed Jerome, and he was a force for years.
    Yeah, The bus was a tremendous player for us and is well deserved to be in the hall.

Now get down to the Jerome Bettis bar and grille, time to celebrate! [url]http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll22/_GttaNme_/bth_thsmile_party.gif[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Ya, Haley should get in as well. From the first year guys the only one who I think should walk in first ballot is Ogden. He was one of the top 2 or 3 LTs over a very extended period. I can see Allen getting in too, but he was a guard so we downgrade him for that - although he did play for America's hype machine so.....

Legend

User Info Menu

On HoF election day, they trim the final 15 down to 10, and then trim again down to 5, and then they vote on those final 5 guys (and the 2 senior candidates) individually.

I think the first 5 to be eliminated will be Tim Brown, Ed DeBartolo, Kevin Greene, Andre Reed, and Aeneas Williams.

I think the next 5 to be eliminated will be Jerome Bettis, Cris Carter, Art Modell, Will Shields, and Michael Strahan.

I predict that a 7 man class will be inducted: Larry Allen, Curley Culp, Charles Haley, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Dave Robinson, and Warren Sapp.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here are my predictions...

I think the first 5 to be eliminated will be Tim Brown, Ed DeBartolo, Kevin Greene, Andre Reed, and Aeneas Williams.

I think the next 5 to be eliminated will be Warren Sapp, Art Modell, Will Shields, Bill Parcells and Michael Strahan. (I think Sapp's problems will keep him out, Model, Parcells ehh, Shields next year, Strahan a few years yet)

My 2013 class: Larry Allen, Curley Culp, Charles Haley, Jonathan Ogden, Cris Carter, Dave Robinson, and Jerome Bettis.

Wow, some darn good football players being left out.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-11-2013 at 02:28 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I would put in Cris Carter, Will Shields, and Jerome Bettis before Sapp, but I'm just predicting the way that I think the vote will go.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Only 4 guys in the history of the NFL rushed for more yards than Bettis...at the time he retired...

He should be in...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Only 4 guys in the history of the NFL rushed for more yards than Bettis...at the time he retired...

He should be in...
    For that matter, when Cris Carter retired was 2nd only to Rice in catches (since passed by Marvin Harrison and Tony Gonzalez) and was 2nd only to Rice in TD catches (since passed by Randy Moss and Terrell Owens).