Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mclendon @ DE ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mclendon @ DE ?

I think its worth a try to see if could make the switch. He has a high motor like Keisel and could possibly do well there instead of NT. We have fangupo and Ta'Amu to compete for NT unless Moo can't get his legal matters squared away.
    I've seen enough of Hood, he's been here four years and I haven't seen the production a #1 PICK should have, maybe a visit to the bench and it will register he has to do more to be a starter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am in favor of giving Mc a try at DE. I feel he deserves to be on the field more, one way or another.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No offense intended but... I would find it very hard to believe that, if McLendon can play DE well enough to be a starter in this league, the coaching staff hasn't already thought about this very scenario. We (as fans) aren't going to come up with a light bulb moment of (the coaches all of a sudden saying), "Hey, why don't we play McLendon at End?"

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem isn't McLendon. The problem is that we have a Def Coord or overemphasizes stopping the run in a passing league. Stopping the run is a lot less importnat in the NFL than it was just 10 years ago. That is the source of my frustration with the DL. We have them controlling and "occupying Blockers" versus attacking the person with the ball. I would be last in the league in run defense but first in sacks and INTs in a heartbeat and I bet we would have a much better defense than we had this year from making a real impact in the game.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    No offense intended but... I would find it very hard to believe that, if McLendon can play DE well enough to be a starter in this league, the coaching staff hasn't already thought about this very scenario. We (as fans) aren't going to come up with a light bulb moment of (the coaches all of a sudden saying), "Hey, why don't we play McLendon at End?"
    The problem was NT. We had Hampton coming off of surgery and Ta'amu didn't pan out his rookie year. Mclendon had to be the back-up nose tackle.

We also had Keisel.

We now have Fangupo, Ta'amu, and Mclendon.

We know Hampton is gone. Wexell pointed out the fact the coaches think Mclendon can play DE in the 3-4 and move to NT on passing downs.

I could see us drafting Jesse Williams from Alabama with pick 17. I think they will then let Fangupo and Ta'amu fight it out in training camp to be the back-up nose tackle in that scenario.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With the lack of LB depth and depth on the DL we do have, if Tomlin ever planned to switch to the 4-3 Tampa 2 which he was known for....the time is now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You think NFL coaches are automatically superior in all ideas of football? You are mistaken. They allow their egos to be involved, and many of them are not even that intelligent. I have met with some of these coaches. I had a coach tell me that running backs can be taught to have running instincts; this coming from a coach who was paid by the NFL and he actually believed that. How moronic. Oh, but he carried his Bible every where, so he must know all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would be last in the league in run defense but first in sacks and INTs in a heartbeat and I bet we would have a much better defense than we had this year from making a real impact in the game.
    I wouldn't go that far. If you are last in rushing D, you can't win. If teams can get first down after first down by rushing the ball, you will have one lousy team. The Saints, Bills and Jags were the 3 worst rushing Ds in the NFL, and all of them had a real hard time winning games, including the Saints, who have an uber high powered offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many years did we see endless "Move Colon to guard" threads on here before the team actually went ahead and made the move?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    How many years did we see endless "Move Colon to guard" threads on here before the team actually went ahead and made the move?
    Exactly. How many years did we scream that Kordell sucked as QB and we needed to move on? How long did they dilly dally with that position, finally HAVING to admit he was FAIL so many years later?