Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mclendon @ DE ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I would think you would be glad the offense has a high T.O.P. Keeps the defense fresh and since we can't seem to score more than 30 consistently, it helps keep the ball away from the other team. Now, do we need to be more effective with the offense....no question.
    I think TOP is a key for this team.

But I'm not going to brag where the defense is "ranked" because of it.

We won't score 30 a game without turnovers when the priority on offense is to rest our defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I think TOP is a key for this team.

But I'm not going to brag where the defense is "ranked" because of it.

We won't score 30 a game without turnovers when the priority on offense is to rest our defense.
    I just don't believe that is the offense's priority. If you think the defensive ranking is too high and used as a crutch that is a stats problem. If the bulk of an opponents yardage gained is on 3rd down or in the red zone, then I agree. The defense would be statistically high but not effective. But I saw plenty of 3 and outs by our defense this year and I can't blame the offense's ineffectiveness on the defense.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The second Cinci game was maddening. How many 3 and outs did our offense have after a turnover or mistake by the Bengals? I think the defense's ranking was on their own merit, not some hidden agenda by Haley.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Teams aren't committed to running the football. More McClendon, less Hampton.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also have to add... Our offense stinks and it wouldn't matter if our D was top 5 in creating TO's... The O would give it back or go 3 and out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

After reading all the comments one thing is for sure, this team and both sides of the ball needs revamped and some FA added to fill some of the gaps. I don't know why there would be any reason to imagine that, the same OLD players are not going to have their injuries or more injuries come next season or during next season. Harrison when in his prime made the entire defense better and with that, hid a lot of flaws in others. Don't count on Troy other than seeing a spark from him once in a while but more likely, Troy will miss most of next season too. When Troy does return he will be a ghost of a player. Ziggy is a waste of a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th and I see nothing in him that would have made me select him as a pactice sqad guy.
    Heyward must be worse if the coaches haven't played him or are they waiting for Kiesel to retire ?
    Without any linebackers creating the pressure they're supposed to, why worry about Hampton vs McClendon or whatever ? Might as well cut Casey if it save the team money, his abilities if he still has them or what it takes doesn't matter without the counter part of having linebackers that can rush.

This team might not be a contender for many years to come with the players we currently have. Get used to looking up at Cincy and Cleveland as the power houses in our division. Those teams are on the rise and we are headed downward and Cleveland will win a championship or North title before us in my humble and negative opinion.
    This was all bound to happen because you can not stay on top forever unless your the Patricheats. Despite that I hate them and their coach, he can get those guys to play ball and he is seldom out coached like our guys are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Also have to add... Our offense stinks and it wouldn't matter if our D was top 5 in creating TO's... The O would give it back or go 3 and out.
    That's not accurate. Prior to Ben's injury he was the best 3rd down passer in football.

Try again.

Three words people. Remember them for 2013:

Give

Back

It's why we were 2-3. It's why we were one missed Suisham FG from 1-4.