Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ed: Steelers OL to Have Different Look in '13

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think it's respectable that Beachum played o.k as a 3rd string rookie at RT but does that give them any indication that he can start at LG? Who knows. To me, G is a cerebral position compared to T which is more of a physical/athletic position. That of course isn't taking into consideration G's that have great "pulling" ability.

Letting Foster walk is a bad idea but he can probably get paid more by some other team. I don't think the Steelers want Foster to walk. I think that decision is simply $$ based.

Letting Colon walk is a good idea regardless of "dead money". I said signing Colon to that deal was a bad signing when it happened. As it turned out, it was a very poor signing.

Letting Starks walk is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. What has Gilbert done to be handed the LT position? My goodness that's a scary thought. You can make an argument that Starks was the most consistent player on offense with the exception of Miller. Could you imagine what the last 2 years would have been like without Starks stepping into the lineup and performing well?

The depth is a SERIOUS issue considering our players can't stay healthy.

I just don't get it anymore.... Is Tomlin/Colbert trying to make this a sub-500 team? With decisions like Gilbert over Starks, they are on the fast track to getting us there. Where is the talent evaluation of players especially on the o-line?

Releasing Urbik? Failure
    Signing Colon to a large deal? Failure
    Releasing Starks the first time? Failure
    Thinking Jonathan Scott was a starting LT? Failure
    Releasing Starks the second time? Failure

and coming soon.....

Letting Starks walk a 3rd time in favor of Gilbert starting at LT? Failure.
    Why are they so adamant to force inferior players into the OL? What do they have against Starks? This is pure insanity. "Our OL stinks; quick, get rid of its best player." Starks is not among the best LTs in the league, but he isn't bad. He is certainly worth keeping around; we won 2 rings with him, for cripes sake. I am really beginning to wonder about the wisdom of the ownership and front office of this team. They are looking like idiots right about now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Why are they so adamant to force inferior players into the OL? What do they have against Starks? This is pure insanity. "Our OL stinks; quick, get rid of its best player." Starks is not among the best LTs in the league, but he isn't bad. He is certainly worth keeping around; we won 2 rings with him, for cripes sake. I am really beginning to wonder about the wisdom of the ownership and front office of this team. They are looking like idiots right about now.
    See my comment on the obsession with "defense first." The Steel Curtain is gone...forever. Balance the investment in both sides of the ball and quit always making LeBeau's job easy for him...he is a "genius!"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

What sucks is the ONLY one who makes LeBeau's job tough on him and his players is LeBeau himself.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    See my comment on the obsession with "defense first." The Steel Curtain is gone...forever. Balance the investment in both sides of the ball and quit always making LeBeau's job easy for him...he is a "genius!"
    But even back in the Steel Curtain days, they had a very good OL, and even had a decent one through the pathetic 80s. And, had one, for the most part, in the Cowher era. The only units they kind of let tatter was the QB and play makers through the 80s and somewhat in the 90s.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Expected to Keep Ramon Foster over Willie Colon for Left Guard Position

When the Steelers were put on the clock during the 2012 NFL Draft they were ecstatic to see that the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro of Stanford, was still on the board. They wasted no time making DeCastro their selection and added him to a young core of players on their improving offensive line. DeCastro, a right guard in college, is expected to play on the right side for many years to come and the Steelers hope he will help improve a struggling running game.

On the left side the Steelers have been looking for a replacement sine Alan Faneca left via free agency. Chris Kemoeatu gave the Steelers four penalty filled, but decent years at left guard. Kemoeatu was never the player the Steelers hoped he would be however, and they are still looking for their guy. In 2012 they moved Willie Colon from right tackle to left guard and he played well at times, but doesn’t seem to fit the position.

The Steelers are looking for young athletic offensive lineman. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro fit the bill as do Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, who project as the offensive tackles of the future. Pittsburgh would like to use their guards to pull and get to the edge, but Colon is unable to move well enough to do so. Ramon Foster may also struggle to pull due to his size, but a lighter more athletic Foster could be the perfect answer at left guard.

Foster just turned 27 and hasn’t had any injury issues during his career. He was the Steelers second most consistent lineman in 2012 behind Max Starks and the Steelers will try and lock him up this off-season. Willie Colon, on the other hand, will turn 30 in a few months and hasn’t played a full season of football since 2009.

Colon is still under contract for the 2013 season, but cutting him is a very likely option for the Steelers as it would save them around $1.2 million in total. However, it would save them around $5.5 million in 2013 and cause a cap hit of around $4.3 million in 2014. Therefore, the Steelers would open up the space to sign Foster as well as save some extra cap space, but they would have to deal with that cap hit in 2014.

So the Steelers best bet would be to cut Colon and resign Foster to a long-term deal. One thing they must do this off-season, however, is to get Foster into a training regimen. Foster should look to lose around 10-20 pounds, add strength, and improve his agility this off-season. If he can do that the Steelers should have a very strong interior on the offensive line with Foster, DeCastro and Pouncey; of course that all depends on if they can stay healthy.

Both Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have said this is the scenario that they expect to see play out this off-season. Willie Colon is a talented football player, but bad luck and not fitting into the scheme that Todd Haley is looking for will force him out of Pittsburgh. When Haley was in Kansas City as the Chiefs head coach he had one of the lightest offensive lines in the NFL, but he also led the league in rushing.

If Foster and other Steelers players are looking for a good training system to get into better shape they may want to talk to Ziggy Hood. During the 2012 off-season Hood trained with Outer Limits Sports and cut his body fat percent, dropped weight, added muscle, and got more athletic.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_expected_to_keep_ramon_foster_over_willie _colon_for_left_guard_position/12635485[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers Expected to Keep Ramon Foster over Willie Colon for Left Guard Position

When the Steelers were put on the clock during the 2012 NFL Draft they were ecstatic to see that the top guard in the draft, David DeCastro of Stanford, was still on the board. They wasted no time making DeCastro their selection and added him to a young core of players on their improving offensive line. DeCastro, a right guard in college, is expected to play on the right side for many years to come and the Steelers hope he will help improve a struggling running game.

On the left side the Steelers have been looking for a replacement sine Alan Faneca left via free agency. Chris Kemoeatu gave the Steelers four penalty filled, but decent years at left guard. Kemoeatu was never the player the Steelers hoped he would be however, and they are still looking for their guy. In 2012 they moved Willie Colon from right tackle to left guard and he played well at times, but doesn’t seem to fit the position.

The Steelers are looking for young athletic offensive lineman. Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro fit the bill as do Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert, who project as the offensive tackles of the future. Pittsburgh would like to use their guards to pull and get to the edge, but Colon is unable to move well enough to do so. Ramon Foster may also struggle to pull due to his size, but a lighter more athletic Foster could be the perfect answer at left guard.

Foster just turned 27 and hasn’t had any injury issues during his career. He was the Steelers second most consistent lineman in 2012 behind Max Starks and the Steelers will try and lock him up this off-season. Willie Colon, on the other hand, will turn 30 in a few months and hasn’t played a full season of football since 2009.

Colon is still under contract for the 2013 season, but cutting him is a very likely option for the Steelers as it would save them around $1.2 million in total. However, it would save them around $5.5 million in 2013 and cause a cap hit of around $4.3 million in 2014. Therefore, the Steelers would open up the space to sign Foster as well as save some extra cap space, but they would have to deal with that cap hit in 2014.

So the Steelers best bet would be to cut Colon and resign Foster to a long-term deal. One thing they must do this off-season, however, is to get Foster into a training regimen. Foster should look to lose around 10-20 pounds, add strength, and improve his agility this off-season. If he can do that the Steelers should have a very strong interior on the offensive line with Foster, DeCastro and Pouncey; of course that all depends on if they can stay healthy.

Both Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette have said this is the scenario that they expect to see play out this off-season. Willie Colon is a talented football player, but bad luck and not fitting into the scheme that Todd Haley is looking for will force him out of Pittsburgh. When Haley was in Kansas City as the Chiefs head coach he had one of the lightest offensive lines in the NFL, but he also led the league in rushing.

If Foster and other Steelers players are looking for a good training system to get into better shape they may want to talk to Ziggy Hood. During the 2012 off-season Hood trained with Outer Limits Sports and cut his body fat percent, dropped weight, added muscle, and got more athletic.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_expected_to_keep_ramon_foster_over_willie _colon_for_left_guard_position/12635485[/URL]
    I expect the line to start out as Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams next year.

I forget who reported it besides Douchette and Dushlac, but Haley is requesting more athletic O-linemen to run his scheme. They will re-sign Foster if he commits to getting in better shape. He needs to be more mobile.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What is really weird is Legursky is probably their most cerebral and athletic OL yet he can only really play OC. Coming out of college he ran like a 4.8 40yds and was a powerlifting stud. On paper he looks like the perfect LG for what they want their LG to do.

[url]http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x668259069?i=0[/url]

HUNTINGTON -- Ask a pair of National Football League Draft prospects about Doug Legursky and they respond with laughter.

During separate interviews, Keilen Dykes and Harry Douglas raved concerning their workout teammate. Legursky, Marshall University's former center, is training for the April 26-27 draft with former West Virginia defensive lineman Dykes and Douglas, a highly-regarded wide receiver from Louisville.

Dykes and Douglas simply chuckled at the mention of Legursky, whose athleticism betrays his stout, 6-foot-3, 300-pound plus frame.

"Doug is a freak in the weight room," said Dykes a fellow 300-pounder who works out with Legursky at Huntington's High Intensity Training Center under local agent Dave Rich. "He puts up big numbers. He's a big power guy."

Legursky established numerous weight room records during his four-year Thundering Herd career. The Beckley native was a starting player as a true freshman and is working toward delivering a similar immediate impression with NFL scouts and coaches.

Marshall's Pro Day on March 21 offers Legursky's best opportunity to elevate his draft status. Douglas said the four-year starter is well-prepped for the extensive tryout, which includes a 40-yard dash, shuttle runs, bench press drills and interviews, along with actual football-specific workouts.

"I've been really impressed with Doug," Douglas said. "To be so big, he's in and out of cuts like a receiver.

"Scouts want you to keep your pad levels low and Doug does that very well. I've been very impressed with Doug; and he's strong."

Dykes literally has been more hands-on with Legursky's training. They work with/against each other in lineman drills, and like Douglas, Dykes simply chuckles at Legursky's blend of power and mobility.

"Doug is running times faster than (defensive ends) did at the (NFL) Combine," Dykes said. "It's been crazy. I see what he's running, like a 4.77, and I'm like 'wow.'

"He's athletic and if you want to see someone who's good on their feet, Doug is that guy. He's putting up shuttle times that are crazy for a big guy like that."

Legursky and quarterback Bernard Morris are Marshall's top prospects for the NFL Draft. Fourteen Thundering Herd players have been selected since the 1998 Draft, including Ahmad Bradshaw, who earned a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants as a rookie last season.

Legursky is a wild card entering the draft. He wasn't invited to the NFL Combine, but his test numbers, including 36 bench presses at 225 pounds, measure favorably with his peers. He can play center and guard and is working with all-time Marshall great Mike Bartrum on long-snapping.

"He's got great movement," Dykes said. "At the center spot they want to see you get to that level and pick off linebackers and Doug can do that.

"At his Pro Day he's going to shine."

[url]http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-31/pittsburgh-steelers-camp-report-lineman-doug-legursky-gets-shot-with-first-team[/url]

Legursky, the team’s backup center, started four games at right guard last season before he was replaced by Ramon Foster, who started the final 10 games. Legursky is the smartest offensive lineman on the team but, at 6-1, 315 pounds, he is also the smallest.

One of the reasons the team switched to Foster (6-6, 330) in 2010 is because they prefer a bigger body at right guard, especially against the Ravens, their season-opening opponent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yep. I remember him coming out of Marshall. He's the strongest OL on the team and quite possible the strongest player on the Steelers roster. I still say move Pouncey to LG and let Doug play C. Well, if they are looking for Foster to add some strength, lose some weight, and get on a program, hiring Tunch and even Wolfley would be a great idea. Wolfley would give him a good program to follow this off season.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

legursky sure does get pushed backwards a lot for such a strong guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    legursky sure does get pushed backwards a lot for such a strong guy.
    I just don't get it.