Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed: Steelers OL to Have Different Look in '13

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Not really. Steelers go cheap on offense then blame the offense for losses. Gotta have that top D to play renegade for though.
    Correct. The defense gets the lions share of the resources to get fewer sacks and INTs and we blame the offense.

Good discussion on Mike and Mike this morning with Herm Edwards. he pretty much said the defensive rankings where we were #1 are meaningless because they are based only on yards. He said in today's NFL turnovers on defense are what counts, i.e. how many times you sack the QB and how many INTs and fumbles you get. Exactly the point I have been making for 2+ years. We may have a defense that is ranked high but it has ceased to impact games like it use too.

The frustrating part is we are paying huge salries to players on defense who are making those impactful plays. IMO LeBeau is part of the problem with his "tackle the catch" and play it safe philosophy versus instilling an aggressive attack the ball philosophy. I think that is a major source of our 4th qtr failures. In our desire to not give up "the big play" we give up lots of high percentage "little plays" that combined have the same effect as a "big play."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

We blame the offense for not taking care of the ball...

Yards really don't mean much...but points sure as hell do...

Our defense did not give up a lot a points at all...that is the measure of a D...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Our defense did not give up a lot a points at all...that is the measure of a D...
    Exactly. The propensity to turn the ball over and the failure to score points are on the O. The D started the season a bit shaky, but turned it up at the end of the year. I would take this D in the playoffs and even Sushi. The O and the rest of the ST's? Not so much...

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think it's respectable that Beachum played o.k as a 3rd string rookie at RT but does that give them any indication that he can start at LG? Who knows. To me, G is a cerebral position compared to T which is more of a physical/athletic position. That of course isn't taking into consideration G's that have great "pulling" ability.

Letting Foster walk is a bad idea but he can probably get paid more by some other team. I don't think the Steelers want Foster to walk. I think that decision is simply $$ based.

Letting Colon walk is a good idea regardless of "dead money". I said signing Colon to that deal was a bad signing when it happened. As it turned out, it was a very poor signing.

Letting Starks walk is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. What has Gilbert done to be handed the LT position? My goodness that's a scary thought. You can make an argument that Starks was the most consistent player on offense with the exception of Miller. Could you imagine what the last 2 years would have been like without Starks stepping into the lineup and performing well?

The depth is a SERIOUS issue considering our players can't stay healthy.

I just don't get it anymore.... Is Tomlin/Colbert trying to make this a sub-500 team? With decisions like Gilbert over Starks, they are on the fast track to getting us there. Where is the talent evaluation of players especially on the o-line?

Releasing Urbik? Failure
    Signing Colon to a large deal? Failure
    Releasing Starks the first time? Failure
    Thinking Jonathan Scott was a starting LT? Failure
    Releasing Starks the second time? Failure

and coming soon.....

Letting Starks walk a 3rd time in favor of Gilbert starting at LT? Failure.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think it's respectable that Beachum played o.k as a 3rd string rookie at RT but does that give them any indication that he can start at LG? Who knows. To me, G is a cerebral position compared to T which is more of a physical/athletic position. That of course isn't taking into consideration G's that have great "pulling" ability.

Letting Foster walk is a bad idea but he can probably get paid more for some other team. I don't think the Steelers want Foster to walk. I think that decision is simply $$ based.

Letting Colon walk is a good idea regardless of "dead money". I said signing Colon to that deal was a bad signing when it happened. As it turned out, it was a very poor signing.

Letting Starks walk is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. What has Gilbert done to be handed the LT position? My goodness that's a scary thought. You can make an argument that Starks was the most consistent player on offense with the exception of Miller. Could you imagine what the last 2 years would have been without Starks stepping into the lineup and performing well?

The depth is a SERIOUS issue considering our players can't stay healthy.

I just don't get it anymore.... Is Tomlin/Colbert trying to make this a sub-500 team? With decisions like Gilbert over Starks, they are on the fast track on getting us there.
    It's all a cap issue...

Gilbert is under contract, Starks is not...people clamor for the young guys to get in and play...this is their chance...

IIRC, Starks didn't think he would be back either of the last seasons...look what happened...

Legend

User Info Menu

So again? When the offense holds the ball for six minutes and beats the Eagles. You give credit to the defense for "only" giving up 7 points in the 4th?

Gotta watch the games Slap, not the box score.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's all a cap issue...

Gilbert is under contract, Starks is not...people clamor for the young guys to get in and play...this is their chance...

IIRC, Starks didn't think he would be back either of the last seasons...look what happened...
    It's a cap issue yet the money is tied up on the D side of the ball!

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly, we are going to let our most consistent offensive lineman Starks walk while we bend over backwards to keep a fading Harrison (add in a vanishing, except for weight, Lamar Woodley). People will immediately ask who starts if we get rid of Harrison? That is the same question that I will ask if we get rid of Starks? IMO easy answer--I think Worilds is far better prepared to replace Harrison than Gilbert or Adams are to replace Starks.

The problem is we have a defense first mindset in our Steelers DNA however this is now an offense first league. need to quit bdefaulting to taking care of the defense and make real improvement on the offense or 5 years from now we will realize that we have wasted Ben's time with us and we will wait another 10-15 years to get another franchise QB like we did after Bradshaw left.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

And? If they cut a bunch of defensive players, the cap money will be tied up in dead money...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Exactly, we are going to let our most consistent offensive lineman Starks walk while we bend over backwards to keep a fading Harrison (add in a vanishing, except for weight, Lamar Woodley). People will immediately ask who starts if we get rid of Harrison? That is the same question that I will ask if we get rid of Starks? IMO easy answer--I think Worilds is far better prepared to replace Harrison than Gilbert or Adams are to replace Starks.
    Valid point.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.