Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Ed: Steelers OL to Have Different Look in '13

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I expect the line to start out as Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-Decastro-Adams next year.

I forget who reported it besides Douchette and Dushlac, but Haley is requesting more athletic O-linemen to run his scheme. They will re-sign Foster if he commits to getting in better shape. He needs to be more mobile.
    The Gilbert part of that line is the concern because there is no Plan B. The better plan is to bring back Starks and let Gilbert and Adams fight it out for RT.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    legursky sure does get pushed backwards a lot for such a strong guy.
    I have to assume he lacks technique which is probably why he was a UDFA. His poor technique may be less of a problem at Center when he has a Guard helping him but when he ahs to go one on one you are right he gets blown up quite a bit.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    So the Steelers best bet would be to cut Colon and resign Foster to a long-term deal. One thing they must do this off-season, however, is to get Foster into a training regimen. Foster should look to lose around 10-20 pounds, add strength, and improve his agility this off-season. If he can do that the Steelers should have a very strong interior on the offensive line with Foster, DeCastro and Pouncey; of course that all depends on if they can stay healthy.
    [URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_expected_to_keep_ramon_foster_over_willie _colon_for_left_guard_position/12635485[/URL]
    A conditioning program is needed for all of them. Willie Colon was in awful shape last year which likely contributed to his knee injury. Foster and Gilbert have never been in good shape, either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Look at the turnover on our offense over the last 6 years then look at the defense. It's clear the Steelers put a lot more emphasis on defense then they do on offense. Guess we will see by who they keep, and who they let go and replace with cheap younger players.

btw, the money spent on D is old money. To think spending money on superior offensive linemen won't pay off is silly.
    This just tells me the Steelers know what they are doing when they draft defense, but don't have a clue on offense. Think about it. When Arians was OC and letting Ben be Ben at QB, how do you build an offense around that "system". You can't, because it isn't a "system". Its just Ben and backyard football.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    And to make things worse, potential franchise LT types Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews announcing that they are returning to Michigan and Texas A&M, respectively. Right now, the only other potential first round tackle (other than Joeckel who should go in the top 5) would be Central Michigan's Eric Fisher (we'll have to see how he performs against a higher level of talent at the Senior Bowl in a couple of weeks).

I wasn't on the Chance Warmack bandwagon (because I couldn't see us using 1st round picks on interior lineman in 3 out of 4 drafts), but if he is on the board, and we let Starks, Colon, and Foster all walk, then that pick would make sense as the BPA at a position of need.
    I'll tell you a couple of interesting players to watch for is Howie Long's son Kyle Long (OT Oregon). Kid played baseball for awhile and is still developing. Also a guy like Khaled Holmes (C USC). He can play any center or guard. These two are second/third round possibilities who could provide depth as well as possibly developing into studs.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This just tells me the Steelers know what they are doing when they draft defense, but don't have a clue on offense. Think about it. When Arians was OC and letting Ben be Ben at QB, how do you build an offense around that "system". You can't, because it isn't a "system". Its just Ben and backyard football.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,

"Backyard football" wasn't as prominent as Ben Haters think it is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As far as the O-line for next year is concerned and who will be there, lets keep in mind that if Todd Haley and his system is back it is a system that gets the ball out quickly. Or at least quicker than before. Steeler QB's were sacked 37 times last year. Which as we know from years past, inst all that bad.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,

"Backyard football" wasn't as prominent as Ben Haters think it is.
    This season was Ben's second lowest Yds/att since entering the league (in his career lowest year, the Steelers won the Superbowl). Ben's Yds/att have been trending down in parallel with the decline of the OL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This season was Ben's second lowest Yds/att since entering the league (in his career lowest year, the Steelers won the Superbowl). Ben's Yds/att have been trending down in parallel with the decline of the OL.
    That's what happens when we don't go vertical anymore.

We took the NFL's best deep threat and turned him into Courtney Hawkins.

Scheme, not school yard.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    We took the NFL's best deep threat and turned him into Courtney Hawkins.
    agree with this.

like taking a ferarri to the grocery store.