Thread: Steelers to pay price in secondary

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers to pay price in secondary

[url]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3246092-74/steelers-season-lewis#axzz2HlAlCMPp[/url]

I can understand why the Steelers didn't sign Keenan before this season, he was just average. This 2012 season he had his breakout year and it showed on the field helping the defense to claim the #1 pass defense.
    He's a productive player and like the article stated, we'll need to replace Ike Taylor at some point so having Keenan and Cortez back will be a plus.
    I don't know if the Steelers will be able to sign Keenan but I hope so, especially when our front seven can't get enough pressure on the QB, you need a good secondary.

If we fail to sign him, look for the Steelers to draft either a CB, or Safety early in this years draft, but I would prefer to sign him, he knows the LeBeau system and now that investment is paying off, lets make it happen Mr. Rooney& Colbert.
    Omar, do your magic and get er done.

Btw, I think Keenan is looking to upgrade his ride. [url]http://cdn.steelersgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Steelers8-575x379.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-12-2013 at 07:52 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I hate to say this because I like Ike, but if it comes down to Keenan or Ike I would rather keep Keenan to pair up with Cortez, Troy and Ryan, then draft a nickle to compete with whoever is left.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not sold on KEENAN Lewis here.
    I see him as a system guy, not a guy who is just a top CB wherever he goes.
    Buyer Beware!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Not sold on KEENAN Lewis here.
    I see him as a system guy, not a guy who is just a top CB wherever he goes.
    Buyer Beware!!
    Even so, he's good in the Steeler system and much younger than Ike. If I have to get rid of one of them because the cap situation, I cut Ike and sign Lewis, its the ugly business side of the game. The same will happen to him later in his career.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought I saw that Lewis was looking for 5 years and $35 million, which seems reasonable. Depending on the structure of the deal, he could be retained without adding a huge burden to the cap this year.

For 15-20 years, it seems like CB has been a position of need for the Steelers. It is now, arguably, a strength with Ike, Lewis and Allen. I'd keep all three for as long as I can.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I thought I saw that Lewis was looking for 5 years and $35 million, which seems reasonable. Depending on the structure of the deal, he could be retained without adding a huge burden to the cap this year.
    OK, off-topic here a bit, but does it strike anyone else the sheer inflation in numbers we see in sports? If you were to jump in the Delorean and go back to 1985 and ask some NFL watching shmoe what $7/year would buy, he'd probably tell you you'd get the best player in the game. Just 25 years later, it nets you a starting CB (not much more IMO. Lewis impressed me in that he became a starter, but I don't see "star" potential necessarily.)

It's shocking though (the inflation). I mean, you don't even know what numbers mean anymore. Is $7m a year average for a starting CB? Is it premium money?

Legend

User Info Menu

I would be very surprised if they even considered letting Ike go. His close relationship with Ambassador Rooney is well known.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What if Keenan Lewis continues to improve? For a corner back confidence is huge thing. His 23 PD's this year was huge. He's around the ball a lot. He doesnt give up the big play and he is a willing open field tackler. That is a recipe for a successful Steeler 3-4 zone blitz corner.

Now, what are the chances at 34 Ike improves? More likely to continue his decline.

If it were up to me it's a no-brainier.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash