Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Could swithcing to a 4-3 really fix this much?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Absolutely.

But most only remember the 2nd Bengals game. The defense as usual, gets their free pass and sob stories. [/COLOR]
    When your defense only gives up 6 points and losses, I am kind of thinking they deserve a free pass. Ben threw a 6 pic and the other FG happened from another pic as well. Bonehead Ben lost that game. He was horrible - just careless and moronic. Thanks Bonehead Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Absolutely.

But most only remember the 2nd Bengals game. The defense as usual, gets their free pass and sob stories. [/COLOR]
    We were discussing how the Raiders lit up the defense and I mentioned that there were games that the defense showed up and the offense didn't. Nothing to do with only the 2nd Bengals game except for the fact the defense conceded no TDs in that one and the offense didn't hold up its end as well as it should have.

Same as in the Raiders game the defense didn't show up and the offense shouldered the load. I guess what I'm saying is that for 16 games this past year the offense and defense rarely showed up and played to the level in which they are capable except for a few, Giants, Bengals I, Eagles and Jets are probably the only games that both sides of the ball played up to snuff in the same game.

Ben wasn't perfect, Lebeau's defense wasn't perfect, special teams were atrocious and the coaching decisions were questionable at times; it led to an 8-8 season and Steeler fans lamenting about a season that had good promise at the halfway point.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Do you mean those situations when they are required to block?
    Yea, THOSE situations. How can you blame the OL when they are asked to rush or pass block? That is crazy talk. I thought their job was to just stand there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You need an eye exam. We generate no push in short yardage and are inconsistent with run blocking and pass blocking on about 50% of the plays.
    But like I said though, how many short yardage runs have the back 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS at the snap?

That's too long for short yardage play to develop. Especially with the slow plodding Isaac Redman.

And what was sad? In the last game of the year? We had Redman at FB, Dwyer behind him, and we gave the ball to Redman, the up man, who was closer to the LOS. Easy conversion.

And I don't think we ran that play 5 times all year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with you lloydroid for sure. There is a reason why 70-year olds retire--they get tired, they lose mental focus, they aren't as sharp, quick to adjust, etc. No matter the "ranking", anyone who's watched this defense will tell you something is wrong. People will say, "there are 30 other teams who would love to be ranked #1 too", but I think that's too simplistic.

Look at the personnel, the "star" personnel of this defense: Polamalu, Harrison are older. The young "stars" (I'm going to be generous, and throw in every starter under 26, 27 in there) at this moment: Woodley, Timmons, Keenan Lewis, Hood. Woodley is suited to DE in a 4-3. Timmons is suited to OLB in a 4-3. Lewis is suited to zone, which is what the Tampa-2 scheme is. Hood is suited to play inside in a 4-3.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    When your defense only gives up 6 points and losses, I am kind of thinking they deserve a free pass. Ben threw a 6 pic and the other FG happened from another pic as well. Bonehead Ben lost that game. He was horrible - just careless and moronic. Thanks Bonehead Ben.
    And the "#1 ranked defense" lost garbage games against Tennessee and Oakland.

Thanks LeBeaPa.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm with Pappy on this, this season was a tell of to halves (like the Raven playoff game a few years ago). first half of season decent O no defense. Second half of season good D little O. Playoff game crappy play first half, stepped up play second. Just you finished with a win for 1 game but 500 record for a season.