Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Could swithcing to a 4-3 really fix this much?

Legend

User Info Menu

They can't pick off passes playing 8 yards off on 3rd and 5.

"Tackle the catch"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They can't pick off passes when the ball hits them in the hands.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    We lost to the Ravens with our #2 QB, and without Antonio Brown. Let's be consistent now, the defense isn't the only unit who has injuries here.

We lost to the Bengals who made the playoffs when the O struggled

The defense was absolutely DESTROYED by Carson Palmer, who does NOTHING anymore except when it's garbage time. He's been a joke since his 2009 return.

And yet he always seems to play well against this defense.

[/COLOR]
    I didn't mention injuries in any of my comments about the defense or offense, simply saying that the offense shoulders blame as well as the defense all year. The beginning of the year the defense was bad and offense was consistent, but not great. The second half of the year the offense was bad and the defense was consistent and at times good. What was bad all year were the special teams and they cost the Steelers at least one game and possibly two.

Ben had brain cramps at bad times, Woodley never showed up, Harrison tried playing himself into condition it took a long time, Miller, Timmons and Clark were good all year, Foote was consistent for the most part and sometimes bad, the offensive line was juggled all year, but managed to keep Ben clean for the most part. The single most detrimental element to the 2012 Steelers were the special teams. With average to above average STs the Steelers make the playoffs.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I didn't mention injuries in any of my comments about the defense or offense, simply saying that the offense shoulders blame as well as the defense all year.

Absolutely.

But most only remember the 2nd Bengals game. The defense as usual, gets their free pass and sob stories.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I didn't mention injuries in any of my comments about the defense or offense, simply saying that the offense shoulders blame as well as the defense all year. The beginning of the year the defense was bad and offense was consistent, but not great. The second half of the year the offense was bad and the defense was consistent and at times good. What was bad all year were the special teams and they cost the Steelers at least one game and possibly two.

Ben had brain cramps at bad times, Woodley never showed up, Harrison tried playing himself into condition it took a long time, Miller, Timmons and Clark were good all year, Foote was consistent for the most part and sometimes bad, the offensive line was juggled all year, but managed to keep Ben clean for the most part. The single most detrimental element to the 2012 Steelers were the special teams. With average to above average STs the Steelers make the playoffs.

Pappy

I think you underestimate how the OL injuries and juggling hurt the running game. Everyone may hate hearing it but until we fix the OL we won't ever be better. Simply looking at where a player was drafted isn't a fix because it is what is happening on the field.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think the OL is that bad.

It's the situations they are put in that kills them.

Backup

User Info Menu

Do you mean those situations when they are required to block?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Do you mean those situations when they are required to block?
    When it's 2nd and 1 and we have the RB lined up 8 1/2 yards behind the LOS? It's not going to be hard to stop, especially when we run about 95% of our run plays between the tackles.

By the time the back gets to the LOS any hole that was open is already closed.

Too long developing running plays. Not enough pitches, and not enough runs outside the tackles to keep defenses honest.

Legend

User Info Menu

You need an eye exam. We generate no push in short yardage and are inconsistent with run blocking and pass blocking on about 50% of the plays.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Tomlin ever planned to switch, the time is now.